Hacker Group: "This is the beginning of the end for Sony", promises more hacks soon

Zelda_Lover26

May 18, 2011
Okay.... now i'm annoyed.... (and I don't even own a bloody PS3).

one hack was bad enough, but if Sony is still having trouble getting back on its feet, and their basically saying "we're going to go ahead kick them again"... yeah, no.

You hackers aren't proving anything... your just showing what real hacks you are. (in the other sense of the word, of course).

Once is coincidence...
Twice is movement...
Three times is a massive problem...

Wait... let me look at that again....

Did they seriously post this on Twitter?

ugh...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
icaritos said:
loc978 said:
jakefongloo said:
loc978 said:
Dear hackers: I demand equal rights for Microsoft users. It's a slightly more deserving company anyway.

*goes back to playing games on his secure PC running ubuntu*
That comment is unhelpful it may even make sense but the only result that will happen is a flame war.
Stopping at the first period, this comment is a funny joke
Continuing to the second period just makes you look like a fanboy
OT: Keep it up dickwads, I hear that hackers ass's are like a delicacy in jail. Like some good viel. Soft from inactivity.

Damn just made myself hungry
Sorry about my fanboyism. It was intended as a joke, but my anti-console bias as well as my extreme anti-Microsoft bias does tend to seep through occasionally. In my defense, those biases are backed by a couple decades of technical knowledge and experience.
For some reason I seriously doubt the knowledge part. 10 years ago MS products were a bug and virus ridden mess. Windows 7 and IE9 have mitigated that a lot. Also hasn't Microsoft shown a certain level of understanding towards its community, what with the whole kinect hack thing. You sound less experienced and knowledgeable than bitter and fanboyish.
At the risk of derailing, Windows 7 and IE 9 may not be bug-and-virus-ridden, but they are some of the most horrible bloatware Microsoft has shipped out to date. They were actually just starting to fix their mess 10 years ago with the only relatively slim, stable version of Windows released since 3.11... and they were close to having it perfected when they went off on another tangent and made Vista.
If Vista is the new 95, 7 is the new 98. I hope the next one works as well as XP.

This is the last I'll post on the subject in this thread, this derail has gone too far.

Zelda_Lover26

May 18, 2011
Orcus The Ultimate said:
those hackers sound like some fucking Xbox Fanboys...
I don't know... I mean, I knew a guy who was really into his xbox (and especially Halo) and he was a really decent guy.... we didn't have the same tastes, but he was at least nice enough to hang out with, even if I didn't understand what he was talking about when he started talking about Halo (I did try to understand, it was just... confusing...).

But I guess all people are different...

what I'm basically saying is, lets not jump to any conclusions on who exactly might be doing this... I don't think their right in doing so, but pointing fingers isn't going to get us anywhere... Its just going to cause more problems...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
imagremlin said:
loc978 said:
*goes back to playing games on his secure unimportant and thus un-targeted PC running ubuntu*
You are hilarious. Let me remind you, the PSN servers were running what? Oh yes, Linux.
There, I fixed it. Happy?
It is quite secure against the kind of attacks that are leveled against individual users on a regular basis, though. Also, in case of a real attack, I can just unplug. Sony couldn't.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
gorillahertz said:
CrystalShadow said:
loc978 said:
Dear hackers: I demand equal rights for Microsoft users. It's a slightly more deserving company anyway.

*goes back to playing games on his secure PC running ubuntu*
Lol. I watched two sets of videos about hacking the Wii & PS3 (and incedentally a lot of other consoles.)

They firstly pointed out that pretty much all console hacks except the PS2 were done for the purposes of running homebrew software and/or linux.
(The PS2 having been hacked explicitly for piracy.)

The only console NOT hacked was the PS3, which changed almost instantly the moment Linux support was removed.

They do point out that piracy is a side effect of these hacks, but that's a different issue.

The main thing they were discussing was what console security was actually like:

The Wii had moderate security, but some badly implemented security functions meant it was useless, and hackers can do anything they like with one, essentially. (Gamecube backwards compatibility was also an inherent security flaw because of the lack of security supported by the gamecube. And you can't retroactively add security without breaking gamecube support)

The PS3 looked on the surface like it would have the strongest security of any console... But, as it turns out, it's only strong in theory, because again, some fundamental security stuff wasn't actually implemented properly.
(And that doesn't even begin to cover PSN security, which relied on the idea that the PS3 couldn't be cracked.)

In both the case of the Wii & PS3, the eventual hacks that were developed allowed such low-level system access that there was no possible way of patching the vulnerability.

Then there's microsoft.
Which actually created strong security, AND implemented it properly. As a result, while the Xbox 360 has been hacked at least twice, and these hacks allowed a fairly large degree of access to the hardware, the security setup was still strong enough that Microsoft could quickly patch out the holes the hackers were using, rendering the hacks useless, and any hacker back where they started from once the patch was implemented.

In other words, Microsoft actually knows what it's doing and while there were a few flaws, they weren't at a low enough level to be a permanent hole. Meanwhile Nintendo & Sony both implemented security systems that look good on paper, but implemented them with fatal flaws in them that mean they're unfixable short of recalling all the hardware and software ever made for the respective consoles.

I'm sure the Xbox and xbox live get hacked every so often. But the difference is, Microsoft didn't botch their security, and can generally fix whatever exploits the hackers were using.

Yeah! Microsoft's great! They have SO MUCH EXPERIENCE with getting hacked that they know EXACTLY what to do! This is "old hat" for THEM. You just said that "Xbox and xbox live get hacked every so often", did you even THINK about that?

P.S. Capitallized words denote HEAVY sarcasm.
Sarcasm. Really. Huh. Who would have guessed. >_<

You do realise your 'sarcastic' remarks aren't even inaccurate...

Microsoft is a company that gets a lot of hate. Has done since about 1995 at the very least.
People undoubtedly hack microsoft products ALL THE TIME.

You think a company that had probably been facing (frequently malicious) hackers of one kind or another for at least 10 years knows nothing about it, and would thus screw up their console security?

While two others that don't have much experience with such things would get it right first time of course...

Yeah... And meanwhile the word of the hackers themselves who hacked the current generation consoles doesn't mean anything right?

Keep dreaming. And save your sarcasm for a situation where it doesn't just make you sound like an ignorant fool.

blakfayt said:
The other difference being that the retarded Xbox hackers apparently want to play online, since, you know, that's all an xbox is good for. If you don't go online, you don't get updated, so you stay hacked, Microsoft isn't gonna run in and update it while you're gone. So the only people who get screwed are social entertainment fags who only want to "pwn n00bs" and "frag" people. Same with the PSP, you can get it hacked easily, but you can't use online, or the playstation store, cause the update would probably brick your system. It's insane to want to do illegal things, and then expect to still play your illegal games online.
Yeah, most hacks will keep working as long as you're not stupid enough to update your system.
But once you do...

Most consoles contain mechanisms to try and prevent downgrades of the system software. So once you've updated it, any old hacks that might have worked once shouldn't be accessible anymore.

However, this idea falls apart if the system is so compromised that the security that prevents downgrades being possible is compromised. Which appears to be the case with the PS3, (And with the Wii it's true for at least 30 million of the earliest consoles.)
I don't know the exact situation with the Xbox, but it doesn't seem like hackers have found a way to downgrade the system software...
So, if you're stupid enough to have a hacked system and get it updated, there's no way back.

Vergial

Mar 16, 2009
Much as I can agree, we all need to just SAY something every once in a while about topics that bother us, it's utterly pointless to try and sway them.

Far as I'm concerned, I'll just watch the fireworks. I have a PS3, I'm not happy about what is happening, but in the end I simply do not care. I have other gaming platforms.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
this isn't even accomplishing anything at this point

Dear Hackers: NO ONE SUPPORTS YOU (or at least very few people do at this point)
so please stop, you're hurting the consumers far more than the company ever did, and that just makes you a group of dicks

BMA11995

Nov 20, 2009
1. Hey ps3 users, free psn's pretty cool huh 2. Everyone stop complaining if you arent going to do anything about it, hackers get to have fun doing this because they know how to do it, comes with the territory 3. To the guy who said *goes back to playing games on his secure PC running ubuntu* ubuntu does not= secure.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Go away! God damn it! No one is on your side anymore! A lot of us thought sony were over line when it came to removing other os and whatnot but ENOUGH!
Stealing info and getting in the way of other peoples fun firmly puts you guys in the "Douchebag chair".

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
It's times like this when I wish the human brain evolved with a mechanism that made being an awful person PHYSICALLY PAINFUL.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Why couldn't they focus on a company that deserves it more, like ubisoft or EA

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
oreopizza47 said:
Do you know just how ripshit pissed I'd be? We technically don't even have PSN back from the last one. When am I gonna finally be able to use my gift card and get my RE5 DLC?! Also, I was looking forward to that welcome back program, not to mention all my online functionality that has ostensibly just been returned. This had really better be just fear mongering and pandering to the hackers out there that are still steamed at Sony. There's no way anyone is heartless enough to kick Sony while they're down like this, especially not when they're trying so hard to make amends.
Would you mind if I used that bolded phrase at those times when my level of annoyance and anger reaches yours?

Other than that, yeah. I agree with you, mostly. "There's no way anyone is heartless enough" - You do realize you're talking about the human race? There have been plenty of heartless bastards in our history that did pettier stuff than what these asshats are talking of doing.

Zelda_Lover26

May 18, 2011
Vergial said:
Much as I can agree, we all need to just SAY something every once in a while about topics that bother us, it's utterly pointless to try and sway them.

Far as I'm concerned, I'll just watch the fireworks. I have a PS3, I'm not happy about what is happening, but in the end I simply do not care. I have other gaming platforms.
Indeed... all we can do now is watch their next move....

I personally hate waiting and would rather take action.... but to use a quote I heard somewhere:

"A great leap forward often requires two steps back."

Basically, we don't want it to continue, but until we find who the culprit(s) is/are, we're just going to have to sit and wait...

Note: yes i said I don't have a PS3, which means I don't really know what your all going through. But, trust me, if someone did the same thing to my wii, or even my steam account.... I may not fully understand, but thinking about what it would be like if it happened to me.... not a fun though...

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
What do they hope to gain from this? I can't help but imagine this is just a small group of grotty snortling nerds getting a boner over the fact that they can hack Sony, asking people if they're considered cool yet.

Fuck... just read their Twitter feed. It's true, it really is a bunch of nerds getting boners over being "cool".

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I'm hoping Sony hired some damn good anti-hacker people that will absolutely demolish any hack attempts and actually turn the tables on them, hacking the hackers in a sort of Xzibit-esc hacking scheme.