Hackers Claim Credit for Destiny, CoD Crash

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
synobal said:
Can we stop calling DDOS groups "HACKERS" it gives them way to much credit, its like calling a common thug a "gangster" or "mobster".
What label might you suggest?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
sleeky01 said:
synobal said:
Can we stop calling DDOS groups "HACKERS" it gives them way to much credit, its like calling a common thug a "gangster" or "mobster".
What label might you suggest?
Script kiddies seems to fit best since all they are doing is injecting code into a system to crash it. What they are not doing is brute force hacking their way into the system infrastructure to inflict damage to the system or extracting info from it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That explains why I got suddenly booted last night and couldn't get back on. At least I wasn't in a Strike or PvP match. Just doing some minor things to upgrade gear to break down for parts while searching for materials and such. Still annoying.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
synobal said:
I am in 100% agreement to this. Downloading a DDOS program and hacking a system are two entirely different world's. You aren't FOX news you don't need to misinform people.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
These people want attention, can we please stop giving it to them. I know that they took down 3 online games (BF4), but do something else in the mean time, play another game or something.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Gearhead mk2 said:
...why? Seriously, why? They gain nothing from this, it only annoys innocent people, it's not some big political or anti corporate thing, and they must know they'll get in trouble for it. Why would they do this? I don't understand.
Does this really need to be explained?

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I don't see the point besides really, really boring trolls too unimaginative to piss someone off with proper wordplay.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
erttheking said:
That the Hell is wrong with gamers nowadays? DDoS attack there, DDoS attack there. Why the fuck are we trying to stop others from having fun so much?
these people may or may not be gamers. you dont have to be a gamer to ddos a gaming server. gaming is the biggest industry on the net and destiny is one of the most visible parts of it. anyone doing it for glory and luls will target something like that. epsecially since our industry has a tendency to report on it far more than, say, banking sector.

CrimsonBlack said:
They have lives, believe it or not?

I'll choose to believe they have no lives. Tools.
they have died too many times and their lives are now 0?

SonOfVoorhees said:
DDoS hackers are like children that wipe their shit all over the wall and then look to you for a complement.
they do it for attention, not complement.

Waaghpowa said:
Calling someone a hacker for using a DDos script is like calling me a mechanic because I know how to add washer fluid to my car.
more like calling you a mechanic because you know how to turn on your engine. DDoSing is as easy as googling LOIC, entering IP adress and pressing a button. now, please, dont use LOIC as its easily traceable and youll end up in jail (DDoSing is a criminal offence in most countries), but it is possible to DDoS as easily as that.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Strazdas said:
erttheking said:
That the Hell is wrong with gamers nowadays? DDoS attack there, DDoS attack there. Why the fuck are we trying to stop others from having fun so much?
these people may or may not be gamers. you dont have to be a gamer to ddos a gaming server. gaming is the biggest industry on the net and destiny is one of the most visible parts of it. anyone doing it for glory and luls will target something like that. epsecially since our industry has a tendency to report on it far more than, say, banking sector.

CrimsonBlack said:
They have lives, believe it or not?

I'll choose to believe they have no lives. Tools.
they have died too many times and their lives are now 0?

SonOfVoorhees said:
DDoS hackers are like children that wipe their shit all over the wall and then look to you for a complement.
they do it for attention, not complement.

Waaghpowa said:
Calling someone a hacker for using a DDos script is like calling me a mechanic because I know how to add washer fluid to my car.
more like calling you a mechanic because you know how to turn on your engine. DDoSing is as easy as googling LOIC, entering IP adress and pressing a button. now, please, dont use LOIC as its easily traceable and youll end up in jail (DDoSing is a criminal offence in most countries), but it is possible to DDoS as easily as that.
Then I'll put the question to everyone.....If it's so easy to DDoS a network what can be done to prevent or inoculate a network to this?

If the local neighbourhood brats keep doing a run-by smash of your window, you would eventually set up a camera for the cops look at or put up a metal grate.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, nothing was achieved, there was no point in the first place, and some of them were arrested. Great job, guys! You're all morons! Have fun sweating it out or doing something equally stupid to land you in the same or worse trouble.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
sleeky01 said:
Then I'll put the question to everyone.....If it's so easy to DDoS a network what can be done to prevent or inoculate a network to this?

If the local neighbourhood brats keep doing a run-by smash of your window, you would eventually set up a camera for the cops look at or put up a metal grate.
Nothing. Thats why its so effective. there is no way to protect yourself agianst a DDoS attack other than to disconnect from the network. DDoS pretends to be normal traffic, and thus its impossible to differentiate it from normal users. as such, you can either keep responding to DDoS attack (which is why it works, your machine has to respond million times per second to the attacker saying something like "error: packet not recognized". by responding to atacker it has no juice left to repsonmd to legitimate costumers and thus the service stalls. you cant just ignore it, because that would both break the IP protocol and would not achieve anything since your service still has to process request.

There are some things you CAN do and some ways you can negate it.

First possible solution would be to have faster internet than the DDoSer. if you can route more traffic than he can spew, you will have a large load but still remain functional and thus they would not achieve the goal, evnetually get bored and quit. this of course is easy to do when its a neighboarhood kid on steam doing the DDoS and hard to do when its a horde of 1000 zombie computers doing the DDoSing. because then you have to outdo 1000 machines with 1.

another solution is you could try throttling that persons network in a similar way, but thats, just like DDoS itself, is not legal.

Of course, you should always call the police. DDoSing is illegal and if they catch the DDoSer or at least scare it away you won. sadly much police does not take it seriuosly (actually in German DDoSing is even recognized as legitimate protest).

BUt yeah, DDoS is kind a scary not because its somehow damaging but because there is nothing you can do to protect it. some big hosting companies try rerouting traffic so only the place where DDoS originated gets affected but they can afford multiple machine routing, most people dont.

imagine DDoS like if you had a store and a costumer would come in asking if you sell eggs, you say you dont, costumer leaves the store. no harm no foul right? imagine now that there are 1000 costumers coming in every minute asking same question again and again. and now you dont have time to service actual paying costumers. but you must answer the question, because you dont know if the costumer is legitimate one or one of the "Eggs" ones.