Hackers Claim to Have Stolen Top Secret Documents From the U.S. Marshals Service

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
A hacking group claims to have stolen more than 380 gigabytes of data from the U.S. Marshals Service, including confidential and top-secret documents and records about gangs, active cases, and electronic surveillance.

The ransomware group Hunters International took credit for the breach and posted pictures of the allegedly stolen records on its data leak site, according to the cybersecurity firm Hackmanac, which provided screenshots of the post to Gizmodo. In total, the group claims to have exfiltrated more than 327,000 files from the federal law enforcement agency responsible for tracking down fugitives and running the witness protection program. The hackers set an August 30 deadline for a ransom to be paid.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Marshals Service told Gizmodo he could not yet confirm the breach’s authenticity but that the agency was looking into the claims. In addition to screenshots of what it says are gang files and active case files, which appear to contain headshots and other information about suspects, the hacking group also posted documents it claimed were from “Operation Turnbuckle.” In 2022, upstate New York media outlets reported on a marshals operation by the same name that led to the arrest of more than a dozen drug trafficking suspects.

If confirmed, this would be the second major breach of the Marshals’ computer systems in as many years. The agency suffered a debilitating ransomware attack in February of 2023 that crippled some of its systems for months. It’s not immediately clear whether the data Hunters International claims to have stolen is connected to that breach, said Sofia Scozzari, the CEO of Hackmanac. Cybersecurity researchers first identified Hunters International as a threat group in October 2023, about eight months after the U.S. Marshals Service ransomware attack.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Here we go again...
I wonder whether we'll get to the point where intelligence services will start finding some of these hacker groups and, er, 'permanently retiring' them.

That or this sort of thing will just be viewed as a perpetual downside for what are otherwise the efficiency gains of running organisations digitally.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don’t believe they got anything genuinely Top Secret. Mainly because as far as I’m aware, material rated to the level is not kept on internet connected machines or networks. Generally.

I absolutely believe they got most everything else listed there.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I second that. My work supports some software products that are moving towards SaaS models, and a whole slew of government entities get special skus instead to install permanently on machines with no internet connection.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I don’t believe they got anything genuinely Top Secret. Mainly because as far as I’m aware, material rated to the level is not kept on internet connected machines or networks. Generally.

I absolutely believe they got most everything else listed there.
Make sure not to mix up "rules, procedures, and laws" with "reality". Top secret information ends up on email servers and inside garages all the time.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I second that. My work supports some software products that are moving towards SaaS models, and a whole slew of government entities get special skus instead to install permanently on machines with no internet connection.
Remember the days when spies used to steal physical documents and thus they weren't seen as secure...

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Remember the days when spies used to steal physical documents and thus they weren't seen as secure...
Although they'd be going some to have physically spirited away 327,000 of them.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah if someone was able to loot 300,000 paper files without anyone noticing then frankly, you kind of deserved it. Especially in the pre-photocopier days.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah if someone was able to loot 300,000 paper files without anyone noticing then frankly, you kind of deserved it. Especially in the pre-photocopier days.
While not getting you 300k worth, in the old days, apparently they could take a photo of a document on a desk through the window, with a camera in a nearby building, and manipulate the image so it wasn't at a weird angle.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
While not getting you 300k worth, in the old days, apparently they could take a photo of a document on a desk through the window, with a camera in a nearby building, and manipulate the image so it wasn't at a weird angle.
Oh WWII to Cold War-era spycraft technology was fucking wild.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Spies are just lazy nowadays

Where's the ingenuity? Where's the dedication?

There's just no patriotism left in this world

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Never underestimate the ability of Very Smart People to fuck things up. We're talking about the same class of individual as those who rendered the US nuclear arsenal more vulnerable to external threat it's ever been, specifically because they modernized its controlling infrastructure away from IBM Series/1's, magnetic tape reels, and 8" floppies.

Besides, we're talking about the US Marshalls here, not the fuckin' NSA. 90% of what got tagged was probably warrantless surveillance data on civil rights activists, as opposed to current partners, exes, and creepy obsession targets.

Last edited: