Hackers Force Resistance Site Offline

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hackers Force Resistance Site Offline

The website and forums for Sony's Resistance franchise have been forced offline by hackers.

The cause for the disappearance of Resistance [http://www.myresistance.net] series of games as well as the free-to-play Global Resistance game, was pumping out malware to its users. Shortly after that, it went offline completely.

"SCEA discovered unexpected activity on its Resistance website, MyResistance.net, which includes the Resistance forums and the online free strategy game, Global Resistance," Sony told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5858935/resistance-site-forums-are-down-hacking-alleged]. "As a result, the website was taken down. MyResistance.net does not collect any credit card information, and we are working to get the site back up as soon as possible."

The credit card thing is good news but 1Up [http://www.1up.com/news/resistance-website-offline-hacking] noted that email addresses and passwords could be at risk, so if you're in the habit of using the same combo for all the sites you visit, you might want to change things up a bit.

The malware allegations are unconfirmed at this point and who's responsible for all this dicking around or why they're doing it - assuming there's a higher purpose than mere lulz - remains a mystery. I think I can speak for most of us, however, when I say that I wish you'd knock it off.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
It seems once the hackers started they NEVER. DAMNED. STOPPED!
I realise this went on before, but this is just getting bloody rediculous.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
First one to to make a "looks like the site failed to resist this" pun or anything similar gets a cricket bat to the back of the head.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
The Gentleman said:
First one to to make a "looks like the site failed to resist this" pun or anything similar gets a cricket bat to the back of the head.
must... resist... temptation...

Dammit.

thats pretty strange though, why resistance? easy target?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Even if the motive is sheer "lulz", all this hacking is getting tiresome... Makes me wish I were more knowledgeable in programming and whatnot, so I could accurately gauge how worried I should be.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I think the hot question for this is going to be "Why?"

Resistance isnt a particulrly big fanchise compared to the likes of Killzone, Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield, and theyre certainly alot less eventful compared to them, so why go after them?

Im beginning to think someone is starting to take a grudge against Sony way too far.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
gigastar said:

Resistance isnt a particulrly big fanchise compared to the likes of Killzone, Halo, Call of Duty and Battlefield, and theyre certainly alot less eventful compared to them, so why go after them?

Im beginning to think someone is starting to take a grudge against Sony way too far.
I know...I'm surprised. If I had to guess one company to be hacked to death, it would have been Microsoft.

Ignoring everything else they've done, Microsoft literally scuttled a US Battleship with shitty programming. Seriously.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
YEAH! ANOTHER STRIKE AGAINST BIG BUSINESS FOR THE FREEDOM OF MANKIND!!!

I hope this is just another fad that will end once these hackers discover what a girl is.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
I am starting to believe there is a new fetish out there folks. People who get off to ruining other people's lives by hacking everything in site.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
wooty said:

I hope this is just another fad that will end once these hackers discover what a girl is.
I don't know. Steam, Resistance; I think this may be a group of women trying to get more men into the dating pool.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
rosac said:
thats pretty strange though, why resistance? easy target?
Pretty much, its only a website to get the Resistance community together, Insomniac prides itself on their loyal fan base.

But this is kind of a sign for worst to come, CoD Elite wouldn't be a big surprise.

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
They did knock it off!... line

Get it?

As in the site got knocked offline?

Ok fine I'll go...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Ugh. I hate Hackers...
OutrageousEmu said:
The Gentleman said:
wooty said:

I don't know. Steam, Resistance; I think this may be a group of women trying to get more men into the dating pool.
But that falls on its face when you remember they're not going after dateable men, they're going after gamers.
This is true.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
gigastar said:

Well, there is a lot to be mad at Sony for, especially recently, and it's important to note that Sony has not relented on any of the points that are pissing people off. There was the removal of the "other OS" option from the PS-3, and Sony deciding not to pay to renew their liscence with Lucasarts to keep "Star Wars Galaxies" running much to the anger of a lot of people.

Generally speaking the only way to hurt a company like Sony is to cost them money, which means preventing people from buying their products and services. People who buy products and use services do so because they want to, and are rarely going to be happy about this kind of thing no matter what issues are at stake. If the motives ARE anti-Sony the entire point is that they are trying to get done what the sheeple won't do themselves.

It's sort of like the point about the Wall Street Protests I've made, simply bellyaching or showing up to sit around doesn't do anything. For non-violent protest to work there has to be a fear of violence. Guys like Martin Luthor King Jr. understood this and used that, his point was that since everyone knew it could get violent, a show of force meant more than actually doing all kinds of damage. Likewise, those non-violent hippie protests worked because of all the left wing radicals (of various sorts and causes) there were killing people, blowing stuff up, kidnapping, and other things. People tend to forget the whole point of the "Anarchist's Cookbook" or what happened with Patty Hearst. When the hippies showed up to protest people were thinking in terms of what these guys might be doing instead.

IF the Hackers are acting against Sony as part of a larger campaign, to cost them money over a period of time, it's the same basic idea. The point would be that when Sony sees people protesting what it's doing and complaining, it's not just going to ignore them, but realize that for all those people just talking if things get loud enough there will be hackers costing them millions of dollars by going after whatever they can to cost Sony revenue.

The point behind knocking out something like the "Resistance" site is that for the time it's down Sony is losing money. They are supposed to eventually start to weigh the costs of such continued retaliation against the costs of what they are doing that is slotting people off. Do they save more money in terms of security by getting rid of the "other OS" option from the PS-3 than they will lose to hackers? Or if I had to guess given the target this might be SWG related (some people are VERY angry), will Sony's loss of microtransaction dollars from other games over a period of time exceed the cost of doing whatever they have to in order to keep SWG running?

I'm not saying I entirely agree or anything, I'm just explaining what it's probably about.

I have mixed opinions, but really just like anything else having to do with Big Business, like Wall Street, words and simple protests and demonstrations don't do anything. To get anywhere you need leverage.... without it a movement is just a bunch of whining fanboys, or
a bunch of smelly squatters causing a pointless disturbance of the peace.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Therumancer said:
gigastar said:

Well, there is a lot to be mad at Sony for, especially recently, and it's important to note that Sony has not relented on any of the points that are pissing people off. There was the removal of the "other OS" option from the PS-3, and Sony deciding not to pay to renew their liscence with Lucasarts to keep "Star Wars Galaxies" running much to the anger of a lot of people.

Generally speaking the only way to hurt a company like Sony is to cost them money, which means preventing people from buying their products and services. People who buy products and use services do so because they want to, and are rarely going to be happy about this kind of thing no matter what issues are at stake. If the motives ARE anti-Sony the entire point is that they are trying to get done what the sheeple won't do themselves.

It's sort of like the point about the Wall Street Protests I've made, simply bellyaching or showing up to sit around doesn't do anything. For non-violent protest to work there has to be a fear of violence. Guys like Martin Luthor King Jr. understood this and used that, his point was that since everyone knew it could get violent, a show of force meant more than actually doing all kinds of damage. Likewise, those non-violent hippie protests worked because of all the left wing radicals (of various sorts and causes) there were killing people, blowing stuff up, kidnapping, and other things. People tend to forget the whole point of the "Anarchist's Cookbook" or what happened with Patty Hearst. When the hippies showed up to protest people were thinking in terms of what these guys might be doing instead.

IF the Hackers are acting against Sony as part of a larger campaign, to cost them money over a period of time, it's the same basic idea. The point would be that when Sony sees people protesting what it's doing and complaining, it's not just going to ignore them, but realize that for all those people just talking if things get loud enough there will be hackers costing them millions of dollars by going after whatever they can to cost Sony revenue.

The point behind knocking out something like the "Resistance" site is that for the time it's down Sony is losing money. They are supposed to eventually start to weigh the costs of such continued retaliation against the costs of what they are doing that is slotting people off. Do they save more money in terms of security by getting rid of the "other OS" option from the PS-3 than they will lose to hackers? Or if I had to guess given the target this might be SWG related (some people are VERY angry), will Sony's loss of microtransaction dollars from other games over a period of time exceed the cost of doing whatever they have to in order to keep SWG running?

I'm not saying I entirely agree or anything, I'm just explaining what it's probably about.

I have mixed opinions, but really just like anything else having to do with Big Business, like Wall Street, words and simple protests and demonstrations don't do anything. To get anywhere you need leverage.... without it a movement is just a bunch of whining fanboys, or
a bunch of smelly squatters causing a pointless disturbance of the peace.
Well... Certainly didnt expect to get that much reasoned argument...

Either way, im certainly not going to defend Sony for the various dick moves and shortcomings its had over the past 2 years, the PSN hack, "other OS" removal for PS3, alot of legal stuff, and thats just in the gaming area alone. Move outside gaming specfic areas and watch that list easily triple in size.

I suppose one could decide they had enough of Sony and go out of thier way to impede thier buisness, but what i specifically meant with "Why?" is "Why the Resistance website?" I know for a fact theres nothing there that any real criminal hackers would actually want.

So yeah, with that reasoning someone or a group of someones is acting out against Sony in vengance for one of or the culmination of thier shortcomings in the past.

Or i could have been missing the point completely and something like this will happen again on a Call of Duty, Battlefield or Halo offical site next. If so ill assume the objective of the hack was to dish out the malware thats mentioned in the newspost to unsuspecting users.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm starting to think they are actually liars. I mean, everything they have gets hacked. I'm starting to get a "boy who cries wolf" feeling about all of this.