Hackers Hit Anonymous Social Network

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hackers Hit Anonymous Social Network

Just two days after it was revealed to the world, the Anonymous Social Network has been hacked.

Disclaimer: this whole situation could very easily be one big, silly joke. It's certainly ridiculous enough to merit at least a little bit of disbelief. But if there's one thing I've learned during my life on the internet, it's that "ridiculous" does not equal "didn't happen," and thus I present to you the story of Anon-Plus and the hackers who hacked the hackers.

As you might recall, we found out a couple of days ago that Anonymous, tired of being pushed around by the bullies at Google, launched Anon-Plus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111723-Anonymous-Launches-Its-Very-Own-Social-Network], its very own social network, where anything goes except breach of privacy. While still in the very early stages of development when it was unveiled, the creators promised big things for the future, although the focus seemed to be more on sticking it to The Man rather than sharing photos and "likes."

But two days later, things appear to have taken an interesting and, yes, amusing twist. Those who went to the site at anonplus.com [http://anonplus.com] this morning found that it looked a little different than it did the night before, with a modified Anonymous logo, another logo for "Cyber-Warrior Tim" and the following message:

We Are TURKIYE. We Are AKINCILAR.

This logo suits you more..How dare you rise against to the World..Do you really think that you are Ottoman Empire?
We thought you before that you cannot challenge with the world and we teach you cannot be social
Now all of you go to your doghouse..

Akincilar is the name of a town and district in Turkey, and also the handle used by a group of presumably-Turkish hackers who enjoy defacing random websites with militantly pro-Turkish messages. What the group has against Anonymous is a mystery at this point, but it's a safe bet that Anonymous will not just go to its doghouse as Akincilar suggested.

UPDATE: Anonymous has begun to undo the "damage" caused by Akincilar and while I still think the whole thing may be a lulzy ruse, the colorful comments directed at those responsible do tend to suggest that the attack was legitimate. If so, the fun might just be getting started.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
And the infighting presses on, huh?

One can only hope it ties the whole annoying lot of them up for a while and drags as many others in along with as possible.

Me? I'm waiting on Diaspora.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Well, for those who's saying that Google+ is going to be a failure then we can all learn a lesson from this as the annoy social network having this kind of reputation it ain't going nowhere.

Tonjac

Jan 27, 2010
Yo dawg! We heard you like hacking, so we put hackers in your forum so you can get hacked while you hack.

thewinner194

Nov 26, 2010
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh yes. Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. The delicious, delicious irony.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahaha you cannot be social...
I doubt I'll ever meet these hacker kids in person because that would require one of them to leave their house

still, it woulda been funny if the site had been hacked "by Cylons" or something in that vein :p

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
This is great. I hope they just wear themselves out infighting, so we don't have to deal with them ever again.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Hah, love it!
Will be looking forward to a nice war, assuming it's true.

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
duchaked said:
hahaha you cannot be social...
I doubt I'll ever meet these hacker kids in person because that would require one of them to leave their house
1998 called. They want their ridiculous stereotypes back.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Amusing, but to be expected. Cyber gang warfare with a drive by hacking. I liked anon. I say liked coz the more I see the more I'm reminded of another Alan Moore book.

figment of mind

Jun 26, 2008
This. This is the reason i still read the news on the escapist. This is the reason to read the news period. This...

This just made my day.

Just have to wonder though...is anyone on the escapist from or in turkey(i know there were people from sweden(or was it Norway?) on the escapist at one time so who knows)? Are these guys well known over there?

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
So...it's a site made by people who specialize in electronically obtaining whatever information they want...where they invite people to come and post their personal information?

Why would anyone get anywhere near a social network site run by people who are basically the griefers of the internet?

Also, while I'm not a fan of any sort of hacking, it does amuse me to see them turning on each other.