Hacks 4 Left 4 Dead 4 Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hacks 4 Left 4 Dead 4 Xbox 360

Xbox 360 fans of Valve's hit Left 4 Dead [http://www.l4d.com/] are apparently experiencing all the online multiplayer good times that PC users have enjoyed for years: hacks, cheats and exploits that bugger up the game for everyone.

An Doom [http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/09/xbox-360-left-4-dead-hacked-is-now-grief-tastic] (although not normally in multiplayer settings) but it's not the sort of thing you often see in console games.

"Versus mode is a blast, but recently, I joined a game and found myself in a safe house at the beginning of a chapter," Mario wrote. "Suddenly, about 30 witches spawned in the safe house with me, followed by two tanks." Both Witches and Tanks are very powerful creatures (Ars says the Tank can wipe out an entire team if used correctly) and normally the game features only one per level.

"Needless to say, somebody found a way to implement PC console-type commands on the 360 version," Mario continued. "Here is a Team Fortress 2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0901AKAE6hk] ultimately resulted in the demise of the community.

It's an unfortunate situation, but even more unfortunate is the near-inevitability of this sort of thing happening whenever multiplayer games enter the equation. Cheating through a single-player game is a matter of personal preference; cheating in a multiplayer game, with the sole purpose of putting the screws to other players, is something else entirely. Hopefully Valve will get this patched up quickly. It's just too bad it can't patch out the natural human instinct to be a jerk in the process.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Perhaps Valve will patch it. But on history, they'll probably turn to the distributor and say 'not our problem'.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Hopefully it'll be patched. I really enjoy this game and would hate to see this sort of stuff continue.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Stuff like this really ruins the game. Hopefully they will patch it soon.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Perhaps Valve will patch it. But on history, they'll probably turn to the distributor and say 'not our problem'.
Let me correct you here. It isn't that Valve doesn't care or doesn't want to patch it, it's that Microsoft won't let them do any kind of patching or updating to their game on the 360 without trying to get players to pay for it.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Vanguard1219 said:
fix-the-spade said:
Let me correct you here. It isn't that Valve doesn't care or doesn't want to patch it, it's that Microsoft won't let them do any kind of patching or updating to their game on the 360 without trying to get players to pay for it.
The latter is definitely untrue. Xbox games get free updates over Live all the time, and all patches are provided free of charge even to Silver (unpaid) accounts. I know there's a lot of Valve fans here, but let's keep things in perspective, eh?

-- Steve

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Vanguard1219 said:
fix-the-spade said:
The latter is definitely untrue. Xbox games get free updates over Live all the time, and all patches are provided free of charge even to Silver (unpaid) accounts. I know there's a lot of Valve fans here, but let's keep things in perspective, eh?

-- Steve
I don't own a 360 so that statement uses the TF2 class update issue as a frame of reference. You'll have to pardon my ignorance then, Steve.

Zeldadudes

Sep 12, 2008
Vanguard1219 said:
fix-the-spade said:
Agreed, it won't be Valve's fault, it will be Microsoft's.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm not going to say that Microsoft is a bunch of angels; yes, they didn't push out the class updates in TF2 for free, because they have a policy of charging for additional content. But actual game fixes, like those that'd solve Left4Dead's cheating problem, or rebalancing patches or performance kicks do get pushed out free and as quickly as certification can approve 'em.

And it's because of "ditto posters" like Zeldadudes that I jumped on that as hard as I did... it doesn't take much to spread bad info on the Intertubes.

-- Steve

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Zeldadudes said:
Vanguard1219 said:
fix-the-spade said:
Agreed, it won't be Valve's fault, it will be Microsoft's.
Oh, its certainly true that Valve want to give xbox owners updated for TF2 for free. But that does not excuse no patches. Patches are free on xbox, microsoft just go all money grabby on the DLC. I loved TF2 for a long time, but I just can't excuse the fact that Valve are ignoring console users. Lag and Glitching is making the xbox version unplayable. Hopefully Valve will get there act together for L4D

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
GoldenShadow said:
who gives a crap about consoles, valve is a PC company first and formost.
I do. And since I'm more important to me than you are, kid, Valve obviously owes me a patch. And a refund. And a pony.

-- Steve

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I think eventually Valve will wash their hands of creating console games. They seem to keep having problems with them.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
z_spawn witch

z_spawn Tank

z_tank_health 100000000000

god 1

sv_infinite_ammo 1

Just ask me and smallharmlesskitten - I fired up a local game and we fucked around for a long time. It sucks that they are abusing this in versus - this has NEVER happened to me, me and friends would just screw around in campaign and nothing more.

As for Valve's support - they gotta go through Microsoft. A patch may not be a big deal, but it was the post-release content that was a *****. They already have dedicated servers for both versions so they are going to do better this time around.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Gotta love Valve for their single-player games. But from a console owners view point they the suck at multiplayer.

Oh and the DLC for TF2 thing, I'm glad valve want to bat for us and demanded we get it free, but I would rather just have it at this point.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
GoldenShadow said:
I do. And since I'm more important to me than you are, kid, Valve obviously owes me a patch. And a refund. And a pony.

-- Steve
Flattered you think I'm a kid too, but a good homebuilt PC is the best way to play a Valve game. One of my co-workers has an Xbox 360 and I was begging him to buy L4D on PC, but he doesn't like using the keyboard and mouse, so he got it on the 360. I've seen the game on both and the PC is by far the way to go. And thats not even counting this new patch issue, which probably only affects Listen servers. Just play on dedicated and you won't have a problem.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
trying not to be fanboyist or anythin but surely u would just get it on PC, thats what it was designed for and where it is best, think of the mods they will make!

but seriously cant u just boot these people?

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
the problem is that the server operator is the one who has controls over the console commands exploits. So the simple solution is to just go play on another server.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
GoldenShadow said:
Anton P. Nym said:
GoldenShadow said:

-- Steve
Flattered you think I'm a kid too, but a good homebuilt PC is the best way to play a Valve game. One of my co-workers has an Xbox 360 and I was begging him to buy L4D on PC, but he doesn't like using the keyboard and mouse, so he got it on the 360. I've seen the game on both and the PC is by far the way to go. And thats not even counting this new patch issue, which probably only affects Listen servers. Just play on dedicated and you won't have a problem.
Some people don't have the option. They know which version is better but they just want to play. No need to recruit every 360 player to the PC version.