Hair dying and books about videogames

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
Ok so I have two questions for the Escapist. One has nothing to do with gaming at all (which is why I guess the off-topic forums are here for) and the other... eh it kinda does.

So first off I wanna dye my hair some crazy colour like green but I've been told since I have black hair, Asian black hair (i.e really dark) I need to bleach. I've also been told I don't need to bleach it and becuase the Escapist is the only online site I trust with asking the community questions I am asking you guys this.

Next thing is I'm writing an essay about videogam violence and controversy and need help looking for books on it and what better place to ask then a community full of gamers? Oh and I also have to do a presentation and we can bring in videos. Is there anyways I can download the Extra Credits episode about videogame controversy to put onto a dvd?

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
well witht he hair thing, if you want a bright green that is like this:

then yes you will need to lighten you hair colour. You will need to bleach your hair quite a bit considering your hair is probably 1 and to get unnatural colours that you want, you will need to rasie the level to about a seven or above. here is the chart I am using

I have taken courses in secondary school and college that deals with the hair and body.
hope I can help with your hair question and sorry I can't help with the second one.

Drakane

May 8, 2009
I have near Black hair and use to dye it Dark blue/ near purple. I tried not bleaching it and though it kind of gave my hair a different shimmer it really didn't last or make much of a difference. Your best bet is bleaching first. For best results I think you are suppose to leave it undyed for a few days b4 drying it which sucks if you look like me and your hair kind of comes out orangeish and you get called Pony Boy (my apologies to anyone who gets the reference) for the next several months....

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
You will need to bleach even to do dark brown to red, so yeah with black hair you pretty much will have to bleach for everything. If you are doing such I strongly suggest having it done professionally. I don't have first hand experience with this but my I met my ex when she had pink hair and she went through several colors during the relationship. My current GF is a brunette now dyed red. When my current GF had her hair done the first time at the salon they essentially ended up with a reddish brown, and not the firetruck red she was going for because the stylist didn't bleach first.

When bleaching and dying your hair be sure to give your hair a break between color changes to reduce the damage from the chemicals involved.

Dunno about books but good luck :)

Edit: Columbine and the alleged inspiration from Doom might be a good start.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
i have dark blond hair (between 5 and 6 on that scale)
I tryed dying green highlights in my hair once but the green didnt take but the bleach did so i ended up with light blond highlights...

(i still want green highlights damn it)

Dragoniferous

Sep 9, 2010
I have extremely dark brown hair, probably a 2 on that chart, and I bleach it and dye it to either bright red or purple. You will need to bleach.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I have dark brown hair, and I've dyed it every color except for pink. I've been dying it pretty consistently for nine years now, so I have loads of experience with this. Yes, you will have to bleach your hair. Green is the hardest color to get right, and if you don't bleach first, your hair will just turn out a moldy greenish color. That said, don't get those 15-minute bleach kits. They're horrible on your hair. They sell special bleach for those that want to bleach out their hair, as opposed to dying it blonde. Look for those.

I've dyed my hair green before. I highly recommend Special Effects limelight green. I've always been really pleased with it. Stay away from Manic Panic.

You'll want to bleach your hair out as much as possible. The more bleached your hair is, the brighter the color will be.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
JoshasorousRex said:
Next thing is I'm writing an essay about videogam violence and controversy and need help looking for books on it and what better place to ask then a community full of gamers? Oh and I also have to do a presentation and we can bring in videos. Is there anyways I can download the Extra Credits episode about videogame controversy to put onto a dvd?
I just finished a high school paper on video games violence last week, I have a bunch of sources you could use.

One man whose studies are really gonna help are Patrick Markey's, he's generally the guy politicians and news channels go to when they want to discuss violent video games, and he's really well educated on the topic. Here's him testifying before the Pennsylvania House of Reprasentatives:

I have a few other pretty good sources if you want them

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
Ok so another question. How do I bealch my hair? I don't know how. Also what are good bleaching products?

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
JoshasorousRex said:
Ok so another question. How do I bealch my hair? I don't know how. Also what are good bleaching products?
Oh dear God no. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF! Go to a professional hairsylist and get it done right. I've been dying my hair for years (dark brown to ultra blonde) and I can testify that even though I've done a 'fair' job at bleaching my hair, it takes way too much time and energy to do it right by yourself. I have very short hair; and I still almost need three bottles of do-it-yerself crap to make it passable. No, no, no. I do not recommend going down the do-it-yourself route when it comes to bleaching and dying your hair.