Half a Million Downloads for Doctor Who Adventure Games

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Half a Million Downloads for Doctor Who Adventure Games

The Doctor Who adventure game has proven to be a hit after more than half a million downloads of the first episode.

More than 500,000 people have downloaded City of the Daleks, the first episode of the Doctor Who adventure game, since its formal release twelve days ago. The game was originally intended as an episode of the show itself and sees the Doctor and Amy attempting to undo damage done to the time stream by the villainous daleks.

"To say we're thrilled that we've received in excess of half a million download requests within the first 12 days is an understatement," said BBC multiplatform head Simon Nelson. "The project has been a real labor of love from the whole Doctor Who and multiplatform team, so we're delighted the reaction has been so strong."

"The response has been tremendous - with almost universal praise from Doctor Who fans. It's clear we've got people playing these 'interactive episodes' who wouldn't ordinarily play through a computer game - and the opportunity to actually be the Doctor is hugely appealing."

The second episode of the game is set to be unveiled in Scotland next week. Those living within the UK can still download the first episode for free, and an international retail version of it will be available next month.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29009/Over_500000_Downloaded_Doctor_Who_Adventure_Game_In_UK.php]

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Excellent! Anything that convinces the BBC to pump more money into the series (and its marketing - I swear, the only limit to the series popularity in the U.S. is its lack of exposure here) is a very good thing.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
craddoke said:
Excellent! Anything that convinces the BBC to pump more money into the series (and its marketing - I swear, the only limit to the series popularity in the U.S. is its lack of exposure here) is a very good thing.
Well, since the game is both pay-for AND delayed outside the UK - I can understand one, or the other, but both? - I don't see their international marketing changing any time soon.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
craddoke said:
Well, since the game is both pay-for AND delayed outside the UK - I can understand one, or the other, but both? - I don't see their international marketing changing any time soon.
True, there is something a bit perverse about giving a game away for free to the audience most familiar with the intellectual property and then charging those who may need a bit more enticement to take a look. Perhaps they figure anyone who cares about Doctor Who in the U.S. is more than a casual fan almost by definition?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
I'm wondering if it's free inside the UK because pretty much every household pays the BBC a license fee, so for us in the UK they could perhaps "fund" it via that. Not sure, though.

As for the game, I got it quickly and finished it within an hour easily. Very short, so I don't know about the retailing. Perhaps a bundle pack? That's a good idea.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Before I rage, I just want to say yippy, they have more money for the show and for the next games. Now the rage:

Wow didn't they release this in the U.S.? We have more than our fair share of fans of the good Doctor, why not also release it here? I say it's the Daleks trying to destroy U.S. relations with the U.K. they just can't be asked to do anything for a different country.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im among them! They are pretty fun, good for a few moments entertainment

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
craddoke said:
True, there is something a bit perverse about giving a game away for free to the audience most familiar with the intellectual property and then charging those who may need a bit more enticement to take a look. Perhaps they figure anyone who cares about Doctor Who in the U.S. is more than a casual fan almost by definition?
Okay, that's a way to get cash, but it doesn't get you eyeballs. Thing is, every review I've seen so far - he said, as if he read more than two or three - seems to be going easy on it because it's free. Maybe it's just me but I'll forgive a free game for a lot of sins that would earn a pay-for game a good flaying. Of course, that depends on the price point. If they offer it as a five dollar download, it's close enough to free for me not to care. If they stick it in a box with a $29.99 price tag, though....

coldalarm said:
I'm wondering if it's free inside the UK because pretty much every household pays the BBC a license fee, so for us in the UK they could perhaps "fund" it via that. Not sure, though.
That's the idea. Tax-funded. Which is why a pay-for (with a reasonable price) release at the same time as (or near) the free UK release would have made sense to me (tax = free game). Or a delayed free international release (tax = faster game), but not both. There comes a point where you're not helping your guy so much as kicking the other guy to make yours look better in comparison.

coldalarm said:
As for the game, I got it quickly and finished it within an hour easily. Very short, so I don't know about the retailing. Perhaps a bundle pack? That's a good idea.
Would be but the retail version is next month, so can be only two parts at the very most.

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
Quit taunting me and let me purchase it already! I think this is the first time as a US citizen I've actually not been able to access gaming content the same time as other English speaking countries. It's bad enough I'm three episodes behind the British on the show itself. It was 2, but then they did Star Trek/Doctor Who marathon on memorial day weekend. That would have been fine if they had capped it off with then new episode, but nope, had to wait another week. AAARRRGHHH!!!
/rant

Feb 13, 2008
Bow ties are still cool.

Now, who wanted to visit Ringo?

CloggedDonkey said:
Wow didn't they release this in the U.S.? We have more than our fair share of fans of the good Doctor, why not also release it here? I say it's the Daleks trying to destroy U.S. relations with the U.K. they just can't be asked to do anything for a different country.
Now you know how we feel with The Colbert Report, Comedy Central, YouTube and countless other "region disabled" shows.

But you'll have it soon enough, soon as the Pandorica is opened.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Wish I could play it, but the screen goes black apart from the Doctor when I do >.>
Meh, I helped the 500,000 downloads, WHERE'S MY REWARD

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Great game considering it's a free download, good story, controls are a bit iffy (although I was playing on a laptop with the touchpad thing), should maybe have given the actors a bit of training for their voice over work but all in all, well good.

Now can we please have a proper DW game?

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
Meh, game was nothing special. It was just avoid Daleks and these alien plant things while picking up items and collectors cards.

Although it was rather interesting to navigate through a path of shooting daleks while blowing up the doomsday-type machine thing.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The reason you can't have it for free is because you don't pay taxes to Her Majesty. The game is funded by UK taxis which is why it's made free for the public.

I'll gladly pay for it. It looks like it'll end up coming out before Puzzle Agent...