Half-Life 3 Is Not Coming Today, Says Valve

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Well it is not coming today but that doesn't neccesarily rule out the yesterday...right?

I feel kind of bad for Valve now. Whatever they do, people think it is an indirect confirmation and get pissed at them when it turns out to be bogus. Though they kinda brought this with their ARG's or whatever.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Half Life 3 is NEVER coming. Sorry, but at this point its the Duke Nukem Forever of the 2000s. I honestly think Gabe was meaning to do it at some point, but kept putting it off until he could either A. think up a good enough story, or B. Had a new engine. But time got away from him...I imagine he wanted to start development back in what, '09 or '10. And now its '13 and he had a Word Document open and it says:
Half Life 3 ideas:

Nothing. At this point I don't even care if they make it or not. I barely remember the games, barely remember the characters or why I should even care. You guys keep at it, thought! I'm going to going to get a sandwich and go sit outside. Cia!

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Silentpony said:
See this is why I don't get. I can understand not caring anymore but why would you taunt people who do like that. Did you also scold people who were waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 all these years? Did you make fun of the fans who were anticipating Battlefront 3? Or those who hope to play Last Guardian someday? No???? Then why act so mean towards Half Life fans and mock their anticipation. You don't care? Good. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

captcha: three short words

STOP MOCKING ME!!!!!!!!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
bafrali said:
Silentpony said:
STOP MOCKING ME!!!!!!!!
Its not mockery to say the train isn't coming. It's not mockery for me to point out your prom date said "hold my purse" and went off to dance with a jock. Its not mockery to say stop waiting for the Mass Effect movie! Its not mockery to say stop waving your hand at that glass of water, you will never have force powers. Its not mockery to say they'll never re-release FF7 with updated graphics. Its not mockery for me to point out geese don't lay golden eggs so stop staring at its ass!

When did it become insulting to point out uncomfortable truths? This blind hope is exactly WHY long-awaited games fail. Most people get on with their lives and do other things. As expected. But some of us insist on bringing up old, stale IPs and wondering "Hey, where this at?!" Forcing publishers to release cryptic phrases like "Not this year" and BOOM! Half Life 3 to come out NEXT year. Building up hype, declaring it the long-awaited messiah of games. Oh please great Freeman! Come save us from the dull, waiting lives we have enforced on ourselves! And when is does get out, oh no, its not the epic-amazing-life-changing-transcendental-dog-that-remains-a-puppy-forever-free money-and-steak-cure-disease-and-end-world-hunger game YOU told everyone it was.

What's going to happen if Half Life 3 comes out? Will it live up to the hype? Could it possibly? How can it? And what if it ends on another cliff hanger? What then? Oh that was great, when's Half Life 4?

Stop waiting for games and go play some.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
On a related note, check this out: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/26/unforseen-consequences-when-a-joke-about-half-life-3-gets-out-of-hand/. That's some depressing shit right there.

Lerola

Feb 23, 2013
For me, HL3 or Episode Three is one of the saddest stories to ever exist in the history of gaming. At first, they announced the whole episodic gaming, and with it, three instalments for the new series. Everything fine, every episode ships perfectly, until the release date of the third one, which is for the end of the year. People are impressed, perplexed, as the ending of the saga does not come out when expected. Time passes, and slowly Valve starts talking less and less about Half Life. The fans at first get angry and start signing petitions and expecting answers, but then they start losing hope. We have reached a moment when the fans, so dreamless, do not even consider that a reality, or they have entered in a state where they look every single bite it is altered in a Valve game update to look for evidence. But that is not the saddest part in my opinion, what I think that is really depressing is that HL3 will never actually come out, or when it comes out it will not meet the expectations of most people, just like Duke Nukem Forever, because, no matter what, it is almost impossible to make a game that will satisfy 9 years of hype...

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Silentpony said:
Coming to a theather near you. An Inconvenient Truth 2: Asspull of the Century.

This cycle has repeated itself many times than you can imegine. If you have forgotten, let me refresh your memory:

"Valve could never make a worthy sequel to Half Life after six years..."

"It has been 9 years now. TF2 is certainly waporvore..."

"How can you follow up on such a beloved title as Portal..."

Get ready to be proven wrong by the repeating nature of the history.

Oh and I have plenty of titles to choose and play from and been doing so for quite some time now. Unlike you I use my spare time to talk about games that I actually care about.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
bafrali said:
Silentpony said:
Coming to a theather near you. An Inconvenient Truth 2: Asspull of the Century.

This cycle has repeated itself many times than you can imegine. If you have forgotten, let me refresh your memory

Valve could never make a worthy sequel to Half Life after six years...

It has been 9 years now. TF2 is certainly waporvore...

How can you follow up on such a beloved title as Portal...

Get ready to be proven wrong by the repeating nature of the history.

Oh and I have plenty of titles to choose and play from. Unlike you I use my spare time to talk about games that I actually care about.
Good for you Gordon. Glad to see you're still staying active. Oh, Gordon have you met my friend Duke? Duke, this is Gordon. He too wants to be great again. Maybe you can give him some tips?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Ok internet, i realise this is going to be like tearing off a limb but...let it go. It's been too long without so much as a confirmation, you need to let Half Life go.

I know it ended on a cliff-hanger and you want answers, but Valve aren't going to give you any. They've moved on, and i think it's time you did too. It's sad, don't get me wrong, but they aren't making it and the sooner you all let go of half life 3 the sooner you can move on with your lives.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
bafrali said:
Silentpony said:
Please do grow up. You are emberassing yourself.
I would but Gabe promised we'd go on one more adventure and I've been waiting SO long.
You don't think he forgot about me, do you? He told me to wait right here and promised he'd be right back. every now and then I think I hear him calling my name, but I can't be sure. But I'm sorry, until he comes back I just can't move on.

(See what we did there? We reversed our positions! I was the one dog-facedly refusing to change and you were the one saying move on! We are a good pair!)

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Will laugh when Half life 3 really does come out and no one cares anymore. If there is one thing I hate more than a bad ending, it would have to be no ending at all....

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, here's your answer. That same account tweeted this 2 hours ago:

PSA: HL2 and EP1/EP2/Lost Coast are being converted to SteamPipe today. This isn't an ARG, just STEAMPIPE

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I will still put money on HL3 having already been released, and merely hidden until someone finds it.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Considering how desperate some people are getting for finding cluse towards Half-Life 3, I expect Valve to simply wait for an E3, or just have some thing on Steam or something where they are all "Hey, here's Half-Life 3." No ARG beforehand, no hints, nothing. Just one day they will announce it. Of course, it's been such a long time since they made a Half-Life game, and they've made a bunch of games inbetween...I almost don't expect them to make it. It'll urn out like Duke Nukem Forever, in which, unless Half-Life 3 finds a way to be truly revolutionary in graphics/gameplay/something, people will be extremely disappointed by it.

Or they'll praise it for being the best game ever when it comes out and isn't really that good.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I really wish that Valve would outright deny/confirm the existence of Half-Life 3. Their coy attitude is really pissing off everybody and giving unreasonable significance to silly jokes.

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
"Half-Life 3 is not coming out today." Today is June 26th, the Korean War began on June 25th, 1950. 2013-1950 = 63 (plus one day this is important). Now there were "6" years in between Half-Life 1 and 2 which in turn had "3" episodes (if we include the first game). Since Episode 2 came out in 2007, we can now expect that Half-Life "3" will come out "6" years later, 2013, add in the remaining day, and we can confirm that Half-Life 3 will be released October 11, 2013. You're welcome, internet.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Half-Life 3 will come out when it's good and well ready. And I'm sure it will be great. They're clearly not just planning on shoving any old crap out the door.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ironically one of the most prominent companies would need to spend almost nothing on marketing for the game, since all they'd have to do is patch the old game in such a way as the Portal patch, and the world will do their marketing for them. Though, it's not like they need to at this point, since everyone is still playing the other Half-Life games on such a regular basis that they notice incidental patches.

Lono Shrugged said:
"Gabe Newell recently farted in a interview with Forbes,

Experts have analysed the chemical content of the aroma and notice it contained trace amounts of Lithium and Hafnium which certain internet users have discovered are presented as 'HF' and 'Li' on the periodic table. Could this be Gabe leaking information? This picture below of Gabe's so called "Unintentional" shart shows what could be the distinctive lambda symbol that Half Life fans know and love etched into Gabe's boxers.

Experts are also analysing the frequency of the three squeaks in Adobe Audition to see if there are hints about HL3 in the waveform.

Simply coincidence? or an elaborate and pointless ARG by Valve to tease the release of a game they wish everyone will shut the fuck up over. Keep clicking every time you see us mention the next Half Life game and maybe you will find out."
Is it weird that in that fairly humorous exaggeration, I was more worried about why Hafnium was getting into Newell's system?