Half-Life 3 Will Probably Never Happen, Says Valve Insider

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Half-Life 3 Will Probably Never Happen, Says Valve Insider

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1373/1373884.jpgAccording to an alleged Valve insider, the true unicorn of PC games - Half-Life 3 - may never see the light of day.

If there's one game that PC gamers everywhere still dream about playing, it Half-Life 3. It shows up on lists of most wanted games with regularity, and it's mentioned every time what Valve might be working on comes up. If you're a regular listener to our Escapist live podcast (shameless plug - every Friday afternoon on our Twitch channel [https://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine]), you know that we've discussed it a couple of times of late and come to the conclusion that Valve probably won't release it, because the game can never live up to expectations at this point.

Valve may have the same attitude toward Half-Life 3 at this point, if a new interview posted on Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/01/11/searching-for-half-life-3.aspx] is any indication. The interview was actually conducted in 2015, but Game Informer's Andrew Reiner has spent quite a bit of time since trying to confirm the information he was given with another source. After being unable to do so, he shelved the interview until now, when it was published with a warning to take everything within with a grain of salt.

In the interview an unnamed Valve insider says of the Half-Life series, "I don't think there will be any more," and then goes on to say, "The idea of delivering a third episode of Half-Life 2, that's dead. There's no universe where that will happen. I think there is a universe where a standalone thing could come together to fill in that hole, but that's tough."

More important, the unnamed insider says, Half-Life 3 was never a thing that existed at Valve. "There is no such thing as Half-Life 3. Valve has never announced a Half-Life 3. The closest they've come is after Half-Life 2, they said there would be three episodes."

So why not do a sequel now? The risk of disappointment and the difficulty of deciding on a direction are both factors, the source says.

"What they don't want to do, in a George Lucas type of situation, is deliver something like Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. There may be no avoiding that. It's so tempting. So f---ing tempting. The reality, though, expectations are everywhere. Where is the bar? If you don't reach that, people will be disappointed. That will be the legacy.

All we know is we love what we had before, but everyone has a different idea of what Half-Life 3 should be. The best thing they could do is give up on Half-Life 3, avoid it entirely, and do Half-Life experiences instead. Experiences that connect, but aren't the flagship sequel."

It's an interesting interview, and it offers some insights not only into the Half-Life series, but into how the flat, leaderless structure at Valve can both help and hinder projects, and how relationships work inside the company. The big takeaway, though is why Valve doesn't discuss Half-Life anymore.

"That's why they won't talk about it anymore. Every time they talk about it, the hunger comes back. That's why they ignore it. The pain subsides with time."

You can read the full interview over at Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/01/11/searching-for-half-life-3.aspx]

[gallery=6791]

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Ezekiel said:
The interview was actually conducted in 2015, but Game Informer's Andrew Reiner has spent quite a bit of time since trying to confirm the information he was given with another source. After being unable to do so, he shelved the interview until now, when it was published with a warning to take everything within with a grain of salt.
Then don't publish it. If it can't be confirmed, it's not news.

I still have faith.
And I have faith that Buzzfeed knew what they were talking about when they reported the unconfirmed, alleged leaks from pseudo-anonymous sources that Donald Trump hired Russian hookers to pee on Obama's bed.

It's not irresponsible and unjournalistic if you amend such statements with "no evidence currently exists to actually support any of this, and we are publishing this purely to share other peoples' speculation about unsubstantiated events so that everyone else can fill in the details and determine the accuracy for themselves based solely on their own prejudices and confirmation bias."

Bindal

May 14, 2012
That Episode 3 was never going to happen anymore is no surprise.
Let's be honest, a DECADE between Episode 2 and Episode 3 would be silly. Episode 2 was a bit pushing it already with its wait time, but at least it could be still considered an episode of a larger game (which, strangely, would have the same name as the previous and complete one, but whatever).
Now if Half-Life 3 would fall short of expectation, that's also no surprise. But I rather blame people on that as they always think the longer something takes, the closer to perfection it must be. Ignoring that there can be simply changes, delays and the fact that "perfect" is highly subjective.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The thing half life games did so well were showcasing large jumps in gaming technology, it just so happened to be within a very intriguing world. Any new half life title would have to be part of something new and wonderous to show players the future possibilities of gaming, anything less would not reach expectations.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Somehow I'm not surprised. Considering how long it's been, should we really keep holding out for the next game?

There's hope, and then there's being unrealistic, that's all I'm saying.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Valve insider says Half-Life 3 isn't going to happen.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The reality, though, expectations are everywhere. Where is the bar? If you don't reach that, people will be disappointed. That will be the legacy.
Because ending a game franchise with such a ridiculous cliffhanger is good for your legacy... If anything the series is tarnished by how it's been treated after Episode 2.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
irish286 said:
Fine, then let telltale have a crack at it. Let them finish the story you refuse to.
I've had that exact thought recently. And would be totally up for it, even if it may piss off more "hardcore" gamers. Tales from the borderlands is an excellent example of handling characters, narrative and ridiculous settings. They could handle it respectfully I believe.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'm curious about what will happen with Valve in general once all the old guard aren't there anymore. Will outlooks like this maintain when all the people that were a part of it retire?

It'd be kinda funny if part of the legal forms that have to be signed when hired at Valve is, "will not make Half Life 3".

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
irish286 said:
Fine, then let telltale have a crack at it. Let them finish the story you refuse to.
I've had that exact thought recently. And would be totally up for it, even if it may piss off more "hardcore" gamers. Tales from the borderlands is an excellent example of handling characters, narrative and ridiculous settings. They could handle it respectfully I believe.
Except they would just make it a Telltales game - a lot of story, barely any gameplay and the gameplay that's there is point-and-click.
Doesn't sound ANYTHING like a Half-Life game, which is about shooting people and applying physics (usually involving crowbars and faces - or crowbars and crates)
So, no, Telltales would not be the right guys to finish Half-Life.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Thinking back to when HL2 was originally released, I remember what a big deal Gabe Newell made about how great the episodic format would be for gamers. Thanks, Gabe, for all the bullshit over the years. No one doubts that you're a great developer, but maybe you should leave the planning and organization to someone who actually can get things done. And leave the talking to someone who isn't made of lies.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Telltale has a lot of excellent writers. I do think they messed up in the Batman series by making Thomas Wayne out to be a bad guy. In my mind it messed with the symbolism of batman. Changes him from a kid who dedicated himself to preventing what happened to him from happening to anyone else to someone trying to redeem his family by saving the world. I've always preferred selfless heroes to redemption heroes. Well, except Spiderman... But, now that I think about it his really isn't redemption so much as taking responsibility. Sadly a concept lost today...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I've been saying this for years. If Valve wanted to make a new Half Life they'd have done so and their absolute refusal to talk about it is just proof that they're afraid to admit they're not working on it at all. They have all that steam money rolling in, so they have more than enough financial clout to make anything they wanted. They just don't want to try it when they can just sit back and keep raking in that steam money.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Mortuorum said:
Thinking back to when HL2 was originally released, I remember what a big deal Gabe Newell made about how great the episodic format would be for gamers. Thanks, Gabe, for all the bullshit over the years. No one doubts that you're a great developer, but maybe you should leave the planning and organization to someone who actually can get things done. And leave the talking to someone who isn't made of lies.
When Half-Life 2 came out, there were no talks about episodic releases. That came with Episode 1, which was supposed to be done to "speed up development". Turned out they needed even longer with that format.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Bindal said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
irish286 said:
Except they would just make it a Telltales game - a lot of story, barely any gameplay and the gameplay that's there is point-and-click.
Doesn't sound ANYTHING like a Half-Life game, which is about shooting people and applying physics (usually involving crowbars and faces - or crowbars and crates)
Sounds like a lot of other games have you covered with that aspect. They must be half life too if that's what makes half life. It's not like there's a story and world to explore that people are interested in, is there? Borderlands also had a genre that was all shoots physics death fun, but that didn't stop the IP being drastically improved to a bearable level by telltale. They wouldn't be right for you to enjoy half life. But I'm pretty sure the industry isn't trying to cater specifically to your narrow definitions.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
Bindal said:
I see you're point. But honestly any game steam would make now wouldn't be able to live up to the legend. If they said, "Yea, we know we can't live up to the hype so we're not even going to try. But we want the story finished, so we're going to give it to the best story tellers we know to finally finish that cliff hangar we left you with." I think people would be okay with that.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Bindal said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
irish286 said:
Sounds like a lot of other games have you covered with that aspect. They must be half life too if that's what makes half life. It's not like there's a story and world to explore that people are interested in, is there? Borderlands also had a genre that was all shoots physics death fun, but that didn't stop the IP being drastically improved to a bearable level by telltale. They wouldn't be right for you to enjoy half life. But I'm pretty sure the industry isn't trying to cater specifically to your narrow definitions.
The difference with Tales of the Borderlands - it told it's own story set in the Borderlands Universe. It wasn't the final act of an unfinished part of Borderlands 2.
That's why Tales got away with it.

You can't just do that with an unfinished story that had now a total of 6 games in the same genre and then suddenly have the finale in a completely different one.
What Telltale could do would be capable of doing is like the above "Tales", a spinoff set in the same universe that may or may not have some characters of the main franchise. Valve themselves did that with Portal, after all.

Or would you like it when you got a series of games with an unfinished story that are all platformers - just to have the actual finale of the game in a real-time-strategy game just because someone else developed it that is good at making RTS? I don't think so.
And that's what you're proposing here: Have a developer that doesn't even make FPS finish the story of a pure FPS focused series in a complete different genre.

irish286 said:
Bindal said:
I see you're point. But honestly any game steam would make now wouldn't be able to live up to the legend. If they said, "Yea, we know we can't live up to the hype so we're not even going to try. But we want the story finished, so we're going to give it to the best story tellers we know to finally finish that cliff hangar we left you with." I think people would be okay with that.
Then they could also release a movie. Or even a book.
But they still wouldn't release a half-life game that way.