Half of Japanese Females Think Virtual Girlfriends Are Superior

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Half of Japanese Females Think Virtual Girlfriends Are Superior

It's tough to keep a boyfriend in Japan where there are so many choices for virtual companionship.

Japanese men love their virtual girlfriends. Sometimes they even marry them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96341-Japanese-Man-Marries-Videogame-Girlfriend]. It's no wonder that a recent survey of 300 Japanese females revealed that more than half don't think they can compete with the ladies inside a Nintendo DS.

The online survey, translated by Sankaku Complex (NSFW) [http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/07/16/53-of-women-no-way-can-i-win-against-a-2d-girl/], asked 300 women if they thought they had a chance against the virtual ladies of videogames such as Love Plus. 53% thought they had "no chance." Despite the fear of pixelated girlfriends, only 28% said it was fine to partake in virtual relationships if they were kept hidden, and 20% didn't mind at all. However, 7% said they would dump their boyfriends if they became obsessed with a series of instructions and art assembled to represent a female.

One responding female said: "There's no way I can beat that level of cuteness." Another believes "they're made to be the ideal girlfriend," and some would even call the virtual girlfriend "complete perfection."

Talk about self esteem issues. I can't say I understand the dating simulator genre as it's more of a phenomenon in Japan than in the United States, but they must be pretty big over there for females to think their boyfriends would choose a woman that can only be accessed through a touch screen or controller over a human being. I get that some men out there might choose a virtual female over a real female, but for a woman to think she is inferior to a Nintendo DS game is pretty extreme.

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5588574/poll-more-than-half-of-real-girls-cannot-compete-with-game-females]

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
But what about procreation!? The Japanese as a race will die out, then who's culture will we steal?! D:

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Only in Japan. I just cannot grasp the appeal in these titles. Must be a cultural thing. I know some women can feel inferior when looking at airbrushed models but virtual girlfriends? Really?

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
So wait? Real women are now finding it difficult to compete with virtual women? Wouldn't the obvious choice for any man be to pick female a companion that doesn't disintegrate whenever a power supply is cut off?

This is why we can't have nice things!

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I get that some men out there might choose a virtual female over a real female, but for a woman to think she is inferior to a Nintendo DS game is pretty extreme.
Wow that's insane. As we all know, in the West, you'd be ridiculed, not praised, for holding such 'ideals'

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Makes sense. They make the game for the men. Tailoring it to their every whim. Real girls. You know. Actually have feelings and emotions that differ from the man's.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
all that means is that the best way to find a girlfriend is go to japan right? Since the males in japan don't want them?

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
I think a lot of these women are talking from the perspective of emotion and appearance, not the total ratio of awesomeness between a woman and a videogame.

In essence, these women have perfect emotions and physical appearances.

?Their personalities are nice and they have no flaws. Complete perfection.?

?There?s no way I can beat that level of cuteness.?

I don't think they believe the videogame can actually outdo them when everything is taken into account.

?The girl in a game can?t offer the human warmth a real woman can.?

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
8bitmaster said:
all that means is that the best way to find a girlfriend is go to japan right? Since the males in japan don't want them?
Time to find myself a job in Japan me thinks.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
It's gonna be easy to pick up chicks in Japan, if that's the case. Who's with me? We'll take 'em all!

Also:
RelexCryo said:
?The girl in a game can?t offer the human warmth a real woman can.?
"Cryo slams the cards down, and clean the table"!. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Right, now I know where I can find a woman who would date me. Now to work on that "Not being able to speak Japanese" Thing.

Calumon: This won't end well.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Guys guys guys. Lets make a trip. Everybody get to LAX and we'll share a plane to Tokyo and then comfort the crying masses of girls who just can't compete.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
And they bash any other race for hitting on their women when they are going after the spirtes...

Sheesh

Notice when it's "persons polled"
You wonder where they were at polling? A mad house maybe?

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
This is why the Japanese are trying so hard to make robots, they need something else to have sex with now. But wait... I think there's a threat here.

What will happen once these Japanese men MATE with their robotic wives?? Imagine the horror of a half human half machine offspring. This is the new flesh! Clearly this is just a maniacal scheme to create a superior race of cybernetic and emotionally stunted supermen! Soon these robot nerds will crawl out of their parents basement and begin their slow conquest of the world! ALL FEAR JAPAN!!

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
You'd think that being in the flesh and having an actual personality and such would give them some kind of edge...

I'm sure they're right they can't live up to the ideals found in those games. The questions though:

Why would they want to? Those women seem ridiculously submissive and carbon cut, to the point that it's almost in the "Twilight" zone of things.

Why should they need to? I assume marrying your DS is still a fairly rare occurrence even in Japan...

Who'd want a guy in actual romantic love with his DS game? Eroge is fine for stimulation and all, but surely there's a limit to what feelings are appropriate for a piece of technology.

[small]At least until those Androids make their way out of the uncanny valley...[/small]