Hall of shame: games that have made you cry

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Black Mesa. Not really the game but the music, the second end credits track just got me right here *touches chest*

I'm sure there's another one I can't think of right now..I feel like Dishonored might make me cry. I haven't seen the whole game but watching a Let's Play, Emily's affection for Corvo sort of tugs at my heartstrings.

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Metal Gear Solid 3, kinda at the second major death in Mass Effect 3. And maybe a little at the end of Max Payne 2.

Ron Alphafight

Oct 10, 2012
A few parts in ME3 almost had me, but a random Easter egg in Fallout 3 actually made me depressed.

I had been running around the wasteland for over a week just exploring, coming across nothing but horrible stories of death, mutilation and people struggling in vain. Being surrounded by death had me pretty low. I found a radio tower, powered it up and listened as a father pleaded for help. His family was bunkered down in a sewer and his son was sick. I decided that I was going to save this family and bring a light of hope into the unforgiving wastes. I searched frantically for their shelter and eventually found them. They had long since starved to death and had never stopped broadcasting their message. I couldn't help but wonder how long they waited for help to arrive before they gave up hope. How they had to watch their son die in front of them. Then how they had to watch each other waste away. I went back and with the message still playing on my pip-boy, I shut off the radio tower. That was the most soul-piercing silence I had ever experienced.

I couldn't bring myself to play that game for two weeks after that.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
"Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

...I am the very model of*BOOM*"

"The prayer was not for him, Commander. He has already asked forgiveness for the lives he has taken. His wish was for you."

Fuck you, Bioware. Making me feel.

I am only a man

Feb 25, 2011
Earthbound and Mother 3, but for different reasons. Earthbound's ending was just so, complete. It got me all misty eyed with joy. Mother 3 on the other; the music for the final boss alone gets to me even long after playing the game.

Aaaaand here come the tears...

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Mass Effect 3...we know why.
Katawa Shoujo...again most people know why.
Almost in Walking Dead ep 4.

Can't remember other games that were later. :S

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I am only a man said:
Earthbound and Mother 3, but for different reasons.
Aaaaand here come the tears...
And I like this person right here. The Mother trilogy was the reason I started the long journey of learning Japanese, before the translation roms popped up. Might be the greatest set of JRPGs ever.

I cried as a younger person when Aeris kicked the bucket, almost did at the end of RDR (pretty much frustration). It happens a lot less often to me as an adult, many more games came close when I was younger.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
L0dest0ne said:
When I finished Hanako's arc at the end of Katawa Shoujo, I also cried like a little *****. I was depressed for that whole weekend.
Ninja'd in the first damn post.

OT: I had tears in my eyes for Emi's and Lilly's routes, but Hanako's made me cry openly.

No other piece of media has ever made feel true emotion towards the characters as if they were real people, no movie or game or anything else has ever compared to just how "real" Katawa Shoujo was for me. I may have cried more from some movies with depressing scenes, but nothing has ever been as truly touching as Katawa Shoujo.

major_chaos said:
Katawa Shoujo (this one came the closest to actual honest crying. this is now the standard by which all videogame romances will be measured. and will be found lacking in my book)
I feel this way as well. KS is the new bar for emotion that I feel will take many years to top.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
GildaTheGriffin said:
Borderlands 2 spoilers:
Borderlands 2, when Bloodwing died. It was heart breaking to see her go in such a way. I made Handsome Jack pay after that. God, I got so angry, I had legit nightmares of seeing her die over and over in my mind. It's psychotic of me, but after a few days, it receded into the void of my memories.

I will forever miss you Bloodwing :'(
DUDE, WHAT THE FUCK SPOILERS MUCH.

That game JUST came out.

Not cool.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
I don't really cry when playing video games, but here's a few that made me tear up:

The Walking Dead - Episodes 3 & 4
Red Dead Redemption - John Marsten's Ending
Grand Theft Auto 4 - Niko's choice
Dragon Age: Origins - The Martyr Ending (Elven hero with Alistar as King)
Heavy Rain - most of the endings are horrible
Final Fantasy 8 - Don't know why, when I finished it I felt sad.

Ctmnt08

May 24, 2012
For all the hate that ME3 got, it had some real tearjerker moments. The worst?

The death of Mordin Solus in ME3. One of my two favorite characters (the other being Garrus) in the franchise. I'm unashamed to confess that I spilled a tear for Dr. Solus at the Shroud.

If I'd messed up and killed Garrus I would have missed work the next day due to a death in the family.

It's really hard for a game to make me emote, but BioWare seems to do it just about every time. (Notable exception made for the genuinely awful people who populate the Dragon Age universe.)

Arpeggi

Sep 17, 2012
When my brother saved over my game on Pokemon Gold. Apart from that, nothing.

It's a bit strange, because I am a total blubber when it comes to books, movies, or music. I love a good cry. I've just never played a game which has taken me anywhere near the point of tears. I wish there had been, and I am seriously looking forward to the game which manages to.

Kuzlo

Mar 31, 2009
Of all the media I've gone through in my life so far, there's only one instance I've had tears running down my face. I didn't get it from a movie, tv show, book or even a conventional game; but a VN.

And not Katawa Shoujo, though I was moved.

The finale of Little Busters got to me bad. Guess a tale of friendship hits me harder than romance.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Okami is the only game that has brought a tear to my eye. A single solitary tear for Issun...