Halloween Returns Cancelled After Dimension Loses Franchise Rights

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Halloween Returns Cancelled After Dimension Loses Franchise Rights

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1024/1024955.png

Might Michael Myers finally be dead for good?

It's been 20 years since Dimension Films first scooped up the rights to the Halloween franchise, and the results thus far have been...mixed to put it kindly.

From the thoroughly underwhelming sixth entry, The Curse of Michael Myers (made notable only for being the final screen appearance of Donald Pleasence and an early one of Paul Rudd), to the surprisingly good H20, to the reprehensible and ridiculous Resurrection and finally, Rob Zombie's pair of unmemorable pseudo-remakes, The Weinstein Company's production house just never seemed able to dial in on what made John Carpenter's original horror masterpiece such a hit -- which, to be fair, can be said about *any* Halloween sequel barring the second.

Still, Dimension announced plans to begin production on the next chapter of the franchise, titled Halloween Returns, back in July, with Saw and Feast writers Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton attached to write. But the best laid plans often go awry, as they say, which makes today's news that Dimension has lost the rights to the Halloween franchise sting like a knife to the ribcage.

According to a report by Blood Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3374609/halloween-shocker-dimension-no-longer-controlling-michael-myers-exclusive/] (and later confirmed by The Wrap), Dimension's inability to get things in motion has cost them dearly and seen the rights to Halloween have reverted back to the franchises original owners, Miramax. As a result, Dunstan and Melton have been sh*tcanned from the project, which was reportedly set to be an "old school, subtle reboot" that would have taken place directly after Halloween 2 and completely erased the events of the films that followed.

"The coolest thing we've done so far is a couple motion tests of potential Michaels," said Dunstan while discussing the project. "I want to see a film shot on film. I want it to be one that stands on its own. Suspense isn't expensive. A karate fight in a burning room is expensive. Michael Myers is subtlety and suspense."

Subtlety? In an American horror film? What a novel idea.

But hope is not lost, for Miramax is currently shopping around for a new distribution partner, which could open up the possibility for one of those crossover films that seem to be all the rage these days. If Halloween lands with Paramount, we could be looking at Michael Myers vs. Leatherface. If it ends up at Warner Bros., who would be against the idea of Freddy vs. Jason. vs. Michael Myers? Because...not this guy.

It's too early to tell where Halloween will go from here, obviously, but for the first time in years, the franchise actually has a lot of promise and potential behind it, which is saying something for a series that has grossed over $623.8 million to date (once inflation is factored in). Let's hope that Miramax doesn't screw this up.

Source: Bloody-Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3374609/halloween-shocker-dimension-no-longer-controlling-michael-myers-exclusive/]

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
I can't be the only one who enjoyed the Rob Zombie remakes, can I? besides, ya know, Rob Zombie himself...

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
I can't be the only one who enjoyed the Rob Zombie remakes, can I? besides, ya know, Rob Zombie himself...
They weren't terrible films, just very much in the line of "dark and gritty reboots" that have been all the rage as of late. Plus, ya know, the whole nature of movie victimization thing. What made Freddy and Jason films fun to watch is that a large number of the victims were killed as punishment for their overindulgence, getting caught high, drunk, with their pants down, sometimes all 3. The Halloween reboot had none of this except at the start, where the babysitter and school bully - who took a full 10 minutes to kill - were killed by teenage Michael. This made the films only a fun watch if you were a bit of a sadist. Not saying YOU are specifically, but this is how it seemed to me.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Remus said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
They weren't terrible films, just very much in the line of "dark and gritty reboots" that have been all the rage as of late. Plus, ya know, the whole nature of movie victimization thing. What made Freddy and Jason films fun to watch is that a large number of the victims were killed as punishment for their overindulgence, getting caught high, drunk, with their pants down, sometimes all 3. The Halloween reboot had none of this except at the start, where the babysitter and school bully - who took a full 10 minutes to kill - were killed by teenage Michael. This made the films only a fun watch if you were a bit of a sadist. Not saying YOU are specifically, but this is how it seemed to me.
no, i'm not a sadist, i'm just a person who derives pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain or humiliation on others. that doesn't make me a sadist though.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
See people? If youre stalked by a slasher/alien/ghost... just throw the copyright book at them... that will destroy them for good.

You will just have to look out for an eventual reboot version wich might or might not have better special effects but non of the terror... in that case just hit it with all the bad reviews and criticisms and it will disapear again.

Non of that silly magic stuff or rituals or using fire or all of that nonsense... the copyright system is the best monster killer there is!

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
martyrdrebel27 said:
nah liked it myself, i liked getting to see his journey from childhood to the force of terror that is michael myers

that said the original halloween was the first horror movie i ever saw as part of a double bill one night with shriek of the mutilated.. probably wasnt so smart for a 6 yo in 1979 to watch those two back to back haha

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Who cares? These people ran the franchise into the ground, besides, this movie was supposed to be directed by Rob Zombie - again.

So nothing of value was lost. At least Micheal has a chance now.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
Halloween is probably my favorite horror franchise next to Evil Dead. What made the very first move so good was the slow build up of tension and the unclear motivations of Michael Myers. All the sequels did is either poorly retread the plot or demystify the villain in some way. The more you knew about him as a person, the less interesting and scary he became.

Its too bad Halloween 3 never worked out. I don't really care for that movie much, but it would have driven things in an interesting direction. The possibilities with this series are all but lost now. I think it should be shelved for good. There's nothing new you can do with it at this point.

martyrdrebel27 said:
I found the Rob Zombie films to be trashy and abhorrent in almost every way. All the characters were vile pieces of crap. The dialogue was usually perverse and trashy too. I hate those movies with every fiber of my being. They totally missed the point and made me think Rob Zombie is probably a nihilist.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Cheesy Goodness said:
Halloween is probably my favorite horror franchise next to Evil Dead. What made the very first move so good was the slow build up of tension and the unclear motivations of Michael Myers. All the sequels did is either poorly retread the plot or demystify the villain in some way. The more you knew about him as a person, the less interesting and scary he became.

Its too bad Halloween 3 never worked out. I don't really care for that movie much, but it would have driven things in an interesting direction. The possibilities with this series are all but lost now. I think it should be shelved for good. There's nothing new you can do with it at this point.

martyrdrebel27 said:
I found the Rob Zombie films to be trashy and abhorrent in almost every way. All the characters were vile pieces of crap. The dialogue was usually perverse and trashy too. I hate those movies with every fiber of my being. They totally missed the point and made me think Rob Zombie is probably a nihilist.
missed the point? of 80's slasher films? the only point was tits and gore. looking for anything beyond that is a fool's errand.

btw, what's the difference between jam and jelly? XD

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
martyrdrebel27 said:
btw, what's the difference between jam and jelly? XD
Consistancy.

OT: There really isn't much you can add to Michael Myers that hasn't been covered by Jason Vorhees, Freddy Kruger, and - in fact - Hellraiser. He actually has less personality and background than all three, as he is just a guy who snapped one Halloween without explanation. Not to say that that isn't a viable reason. It's both possible AND sometimes better not to explain the joke, but this has gone as long as it can go.