Halloween Treats

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Halloween Treats

One-armed gunslingers, feral infants with claws and fangs, and giant pagan serpent-gods. No, it's not a nightmare, it's MovieBob's list of favorite horror films!

Read Full Article

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Bob, I am a fan and love watching your reviews but this is a list of pretentious film buff wank to really be taken seriously. I love indy flicks and great movies you've never heard of, but honestly; is ONE of those movies a better use of my time than watching "The Shinning" for the 100000th time?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I liked Brotherhood of the Wolf...until the wolf

Also, no Village of the Damned :'( *whine over an incomplete list of one persons selection of movies as it is what one does on the internet*

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Powerman88 said:
I love indy flicks and great movies you've never heard of, but honestly; is ONE of those movies a better use of my time than watching "The Shinning" for the 100000th time?
Brotherhood and Sentinel are, yes. "Vampyr" if you don't mind silents.

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
Thanks for the great list.
Over the last couple of weeks this column has become one of the most valued things on this site, for me at least.
Interesting writing coupled with so much viewing material is my kind of mix.
Keep it up, Bob!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Brotherhood of the Wolf is an absolutely excellent movie and everyone reading this should watch it....though actually getting your hands on a copy may prove incredibly difficult.

Lair of the White Worm, on the other hand...eehhhhhh.....

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I saw Brotherhood of the Wolf in the DVD sections of my library for two years, and I kept meaning to pick it up. Even the DVD cover seemed to hint at split identity. I never did though, and then I moved.

Luckily, I have a netflix queue, and though the queue currently is at the 500 item max, BotW is in the mid-20s, I think, so I should see it soon. Glad to know it's good.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Brotherhood of the Wolf I love, but I think it's a little more action than horror. My own list of horror movies I'm liking lately, which, I realize, none of you asked for(but who doesn't love lists) would be the following:

- Let The Right One In(Kirsten Dunst is no longer the reigning queen of child vamps)
- The Thing (It's got Kurt Russell fergodsakes and it's beautifully shot)
- Peeping Tom (Out before Psycho and twice as disturbing)
- The Descent(Neil Marshall is awesome)
- Event Horizon(Sam Neil is awesome)
- Anything by David Cronenberg(Every movie of his I see disturbs me on some level. Crash most of all)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I didn't count Le pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf) as a horror film. It was more of an action film.

I would recommend this

tendo82 said:
- Let The Right One In(Kirsten Dunst is no longer the reigning queen of child vamps)
- The Thing (It's got Kurt Russell fergodsakes and it's beautifully shot)
- Peeping Tom (Out before Psycho and twice as disturbing)
- The Descent(Neil Marshall is awesome)
- Anything by David Cronenberg(Every movie of his I see disturbs me on some level. Crash most of all)
+ Session 9 and Jaccob's Ladder. (Great list tendo)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Being a media student, I suspect I really should've heard of some of these, ho hum.

And in response to knowing who Bob Chipman is, I always think he reminds me of Fat Man judgeth.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
The only one I know from that list is "Vampyr" but that was a pretty damn good silent film. Here's my list:

-Haxan - Deliciously subversive, informative, and full of great imagery, this is of the best underrated silent films.

-Rosemary's Baby - Full of gradual suspense, the ending is both shocking and creepily understated.

-Jacob's Ladder - Modern Dantean horror at its best, the performances and visuals build up towards a poignant conclusion.

-Nosferatu - The first and, in my opinion, the best vampire movie so far, the makeup, effects, cinematography, and score are wonderful.

-28 Days Later - What it lacks in suspense, it makes up for in spades with atmosphere, acting, and minimalism.

-The Descent - The performances are mostly average, but the atmosphere and setting is oppressive in its claustrophobic factor.

-Ringu - The quintessential J-horror classic, it's evocative and consistently creepy, thanks to a clear enough plot and score.

-Trick 'r Treat - The imagery amazing, the twists unexpected, and the mood perfectly Halloween-esque, this is a gem.

-Carnival of Souls - The atmosphere is unique, and the score is singularly perfect; the undertones are psychological and meaningful.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
The only one of those I've heard of is It's Alive, but I've never seen any of them. My favorites (Like anyone gives a damn) are The Shining, Jacob's Ladder, Hannibal, and Silence of the Lambs.

EDIT: I forgot, The Thing is also one of my favorites.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Great call on Brother Hood Of The Wolf, Mister Bob, I love that movie. Can't say I've seen the others though but maybe I'll pick 'em up if I go near a rental store today.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of love for Le Pacte Des Loups. I didn't enjoy it myself, but I do recognize that it is a great movie. I'm surprised at just how many people have seen it though.

Anyway, since a couple of others have listed their favourite horrors, I too shall list mine:
Horror/Comedies:
Deep Rising (5/5)
Monster Man (5/5)
Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight (4/5)
Cloverfield (4/5)
Masters of Horror: Pick Me Up (4/5)
The Signal (4/5)
Cube 2: Hypercube (4/5)

Horrors:
Perfect Blue (5/5)
Funny Games (4/5)
Misery (4/5)
The Mist (4/5)
Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let the Right One In) (4/5)
The Beast Must Die (4/5)
Phairii Phinaat Paa Mawrana (Vengeance) (4/5)

(note: To qualify for my favourites in horror/comedy, the movie must have a substantial amount of horror. For instance, Army of Darkness, Masters of Horror: Deer Woman, Santa's Slay, Tremors, and Idle Hands do not qualify)

(note: psychological horrors such as Perfect Blue and Funny Games count)

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
tendo82 said:
Sam Neill is awesome and it sucks that he thinks acting is a foolish career choice 'cause he's damn good at it. He needs to get his arse out of his vinyard and get in some more movies.

Haven't seen any on Bob's list. Brotherhood of the Wolf has been on my "to see" list for ages though.

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Brotherhood of the wolf was a great film. Its great that you recommend it here!

OnTheRocks

Feb 22, 2009
Love Brotherhood of the Wolf, I was a fan of that weird little piece of history long before the movie came out.

Might I recommend Todd Browning's Freaks? Though in some ways that might be a little too extreme for this crowd...

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Brotherhood of the Wolf, a good horror movie? Please.

It's a decent action flick with a bit more depth than most, but that's it. It tries to do too much and as a result fails to do any of it particularly well.