Halo 2 Players Refuse to Leave Xbox Live

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Wow... a couple of days wouldn't have surprised me, but more than a week?
I'm curious though - is this a protest action, or just a desire to be the last person to play Halo 2 online?

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Good for them, maybe Bungie should send them copies of Halo 2 PC as reward, or distraction.
Wouldn't they just give them Halo 3?

Or I guess they haven't migrated BECAUSE of Halo3...

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
This would be slightly more hearwarming if it were not for the fact the PC version's multiplayer still exists.

Stewz

Mar 18, 2009
Therumancer said:
xXSMaC 123Xx said:
Anyone who still plays on an orginal Xbox needs to get kicked in the nuts.
You do realized there are a lot of poor people, and even more than usual despite the alleged recovery of the economy (according to the stock market). Some day it might be you who can't afford a new generation console.

-

That said, I think Microsoft is in the wrong here. Simply put I feel those people are entitled to play the games they bought online indefinatly. That's part of the product they puchused. To me the only way Microsoft should be turning off their servers or support of those games should be if it goes out of business entirely.

I understand other points of view on this, but to me this pretty much summarizes why I am against the idea of games going digital, or relying on digital connections in general. Right now we're seeing exactly why buying a game that is dependant on the company in any way is a bad idea.

I imagine in 10 years or so we'll hear about how Assasin's Creed 2's support servers are going offline and nobody will be able to play their copy of AC2 anymore. Strictly speaking I feel that if I bought a copy of a game, I have the right to just up and play it online 10 years later on an old machine if I get the hankering. By the same token even if the servers are deserted for decades at a time, I feel a group of Octogenerians in an home down the road would have the right to all login to Halo 2 with their antique X-boxs and play a few rounds for nostolgia if they wanted to.

"Cybersquatting" has apparently accomplished nothing though.

1. You're being unrealistic, If they supported every outdated gaming platform nothing would move forward.
2. Mircosoft stopped working on the original xbox years ago and can't be responsible for people unable to upgrade.
3. Assasin's Creed 2 doesn't need servers to run.
4. Some people wanting to play Halo 2 can still play it, and can play it on multiplayer - split-screen or LAN.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
There are people who will oppose anything, no matter how small their resistance, no matter how small the matter. Whatever you do publicly, there is someone opposing it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
1. You're being unrealistic, If they supported every outdated gaming platform nothing would move forward.
2. Mircosoft stopped working on the original xbox years ago and can't be responsible for people unable to upgrade.
3. Assasin's Creed 2 doesn't need servers to run.
4. Some people wanting to play Halo 2 can still play it, and can play it on multiplayer - split-screen or LAN.[/quote]

Well, my thought is that when it comes to games and gaming the entire thing should be self contained. Just like how I can whip out my old Coleco Vision, plug it in, and play the old cartridges if I want to. I see owning the product and being able to use what I paid for indefinatly as one of my rights.

You could say that my expectations are "unrealistic", but then again I brought up these problems starting years ago when services like "LIVE" first launched. The general attitude was along the lines of "meh, don't worry about it, the service won't go anywhere, Microsoft will be around forever". The issue of them supporting antiquidated technology was something someone overlooked and chose not to consider in the great "rush for the future". Well now we've got a bunch of Halo 2 players who still want to play the game they paid for, the way it was supposed to be played, yet Microsoft doesn't want to support the servers.

Ultimatly I feel that if these products require dependancy on the company and it's services for any features, the existance of servers, or whatever, then the price should be substantially lower. What's more I at least do not think that Microsoft represented themselves well when games like "Halo 2" were being released which is why you see some
people complaining about it now (here and there), fine print aside, the general vibe being presented was that they would be supporting this service forever (or at least as long as Microsoft existed).

Keep in mind that I am fairly against the whole idea of "digital" gaming on a number of levels because of the power it takes out of the hands of consumers, and the dependancy on businesses that it breeds.

To me the very valid points you make are moot, basically I feel Microsoft should never have released this product for all of the reasons you mentioned. However since they did it anyway, I personally think they should be made to support it. If that means them maintaining antiquidated servers until Microsoft goes out of business, or the heat death of the universe (whichever comes first) so be it. Understand, I *WANT* them to take a massive bath because of this. Sadly I doubt anyone who cares will ever have the money to bring it to court seriously, never mind win.

Also, as far as I'm concerned none of the consoles I ever purchused were clearly marked with an expiration date (if it's there it's not obvious to a cursory inspection and probably wouldn't hold up in court). I have both a 360 and a PS-3, I do not own an original X-box but I don't remember seeing it marked that way either. Microsoft sold the X-Box based on that service so I feel they should be obligated to support it.

Rulings of the sort I suggest would of course basically kill a lot of these online gimmicks and bring media/games back to hardcopy which is where I think things should remain.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Trivun said:
These people are just being stupid. I'm a massive Halo fanboy and I love Bungie to bits. And I even love Microsoft, since they've never done anything bad to me (and every time I've had any dealings with them I've been all the better for it, even when I had the RRoD and they replaced my console with a free three months of XBL thrown in).

Bungie and Microsoft together gave all Halo 2 users plenty of warning that almost everyone took as a case of "fair enough". Halo 2 was kept alive by Bungie for about four or five years after the Xbox 360's Live service came along, which is already impressive enough and a massive sign that Bungie and Microsoft do care somewhat about the gaming community. Not to mention that they threw in a bunch of extra support and nods to the community at the very end.

At the end of the day, the people who are remaining on their consoles are effectively kicking Bungie and Microsoft in the balls. That's a great way to thank the developer and publisher who did so much for you, isn't it?
hahaha

How are the kicking anyone in the nuts? I really doubt it's hurting Microsoft or Bungie.

What exactly did Microsoft or Bungie do for them? They PAID for the game. It wasn't given to them. It wasn't an offering. Nobody owes anybody anything.

Why does it matter? It won't last forever, eventually Microsoft will kick them off or they'll get bored? It's interesting, sure, but that's it.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Why didn't they just switch to number 3? I'm not very experienced in the Halo franchise, but was Halo 2 really that great and that different that they just refuse to make the switch?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Therumancer said:
The world you live in must be one crazy place. Xbox Live (for the original XBox) was around for 8 years. That's longer than most PC games get for their Internet multiplayer servers. To expect online servers to exist in a permanent state for all eternity when very few people would play to justify the cost of the servers is not only unrealistic, but childish. Personally I see nothing too wrong with these last holdouts, they just want to keep playing despite the fact that it's over and nothing they do will change that. You on the other hand are just crossing so many lines it's a wonder that you even function in this world. It's people like you who demand that companies give you everything because "they owe you" that are killing gaming with your overinflated sense of entitlement. Understand this. Game Developers owe us nothing and we should be glad they make games at all with the attitude that people like you have.

As to your "expiration date" comment, that's really funny. Like, hilariously so. Of course they don't have expiration dates, they don't need them,. Most people understand that nothing lasts forever and that you can't be expected to maintain online servers forever. Hell nobody's pitching a bitchfit that there's no proprietary online matchup system for the Command & Conquer games pre-Red Alert 2 now are they. Nobody bitched about Asheron's Call closing down, nobody. In fact they treated the end of that world like Bungie treated the end of Halo 2, as some sort of spectacle to be seen. And really that's special since it's not every day you can see the end of time, and you certainly can't see it in reality. But the point is that you can't force companies to do what you and your 20 friends (for example) want because it's not economically viable. It's crazy to think otherwise. Why would they support something at a loss of profit? It's not like they said in the EULA "We're going to support Xbox Live until the sun burns the planet to a crisp". Hell the fact that Microsoft supported the Xbox Live service for the Xbox 1 far beyond that console's lifespan should be enough, but apparently it's not enough for you because you think that you're entitled to special treatment. You're not, so get over yourself. Microsoft did this so they could cater to the people on the 360 using Xbox Live and expand the features there, which has a much better impact on their bottom line than trying to cater to the few thousand who were still on an Xbox 1

Also, just a correction, the original Xbox was not sold on the Live service from day one since it wasn't there on launch day. In fact it took over a year for the service to be launched. People didn't ***** about how it wasn't available right goddamn away then either.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hope their Xbox 360's Red Ring! Or their original Xbox's get hit with a nuke. Seriously. Those originals are TANKS.

Since you can play it on both...
You mean the originals that had to be called back because they caught fire when they first came out?

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
There's comes a point at which you just have to say:

'Dude, let it go, it's a game!'

I may be a fan myself, but this is so far beyond the normal it's not even heroic or brave or anything.

It's just monumentally stupid. Ah well, their life, their choices.
If you're able to actually spell out how this is monumentally stupid I'll give you something.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'm confused as to why they're doing this. Is it for the maps or something?