Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo 3 Outsells PS3's Heavy Hitters Combined

According to Microsoft, Halo 3 alone has outsold six of Sony's biggest PS3 titles all put together.

Just in case your week hadn't had enough pointless fanboy bickering thus far, here comes some perfect flame-bait material: Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft's Director of Product Management for the Xbox 360, recently Tweeted [http://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/15789769040] that according to NPD numbers, 2007's Halo 3 had been one hell of a success - which, to be fair, anyone with half a brain already knew.

Not only had Halo 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU0NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276195123&sr=1-1] been a smash hit, it had been more of a smash hit than some of Sony's most highly-acclaimed games - all put together. Quoth Greenberg:

"Just in from research team (NPD): Halo 3 has outsold Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1+2, Killzone 2 and God of War III COMBINED....wow[.]"

Now, nobody's trying to make a statement of quality here, though Greenberg probably hopes you'll make a mental correlation between the two - he's just talking about sales. And, for whatever reason, it seems that PS3 games never do quite reach the fiscal success of their Xbox 360 counterparts - go figure, right?

Oh well. Hey Aaron, want to compare Halo 3's sales to those of the Wii's biggest titles next? Probably not.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/09/halo-3-outsells-sonys-big-exclusives-combined/])

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Not really surprising, PS3 attach rate can't be very good, most people I know bought one because they were 1/2 the price of a BluRay player.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Thats not even a remotely fair compararison,, God of War three only just come out didnt it?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Ohhh no he didn't. (I got a copy of Halo for 5 bucks, it was a damaged box for the collectors edition, they charged me 5 bucks, eat that microsoft =P)

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Talk about comparing sizes. And now Microsoft has officially started the competition for the e-peen great company award, except that they don't have Kevin Butler.

On a sidenote didn't Uncharted and God of War 3 sell like cupcakes on a sunday morning?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It's perfect flame-bait material indeed.

I hate it when companies are acting like their fanboys. Microsoft, Bioware, etc...

Note* Before you flame me, check the headlines from a few weeks ago.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Make sure no fanboys hear about this or it'll spark a flame war to end all flame wars
Other than that, though, something for bungie to brag about I guess.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
It might have something to do with not as many people owning PS3s. The xbox is just an easier to access console, but the PS3 has somewhat more sophistication about it.

Of course, they'll never beat the PC master race

/fanboyism

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
McDonalds outsells every 5 star restaurant in the planet combined by several orders of magnitude.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Is this even a fair comparison? For one, most people are aware that not nearly as many people own a PS3 as they do 360s. Two, Halo 3 has been out for ages, whereas some of the PS3 titles listed are very recent. Of course PS3 games don't often match up to 360 games, because of the aforementioned unbalanced numbers in console ownership.

Was this whole thing even necessary for Microsoft to do?

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
It makes sense, really. PS3s haven't sold as much as 360's and Halo is a flagship for the console, and many players that wouldn't even recognize the name of any of the games on Sony's list know about Halo.

And I laughed at your ending comment, Mr. Funk. Well played.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well, no surprise there, will it be same in 2 years time though?

[Flame] but, just because it sells well doesn't mean it's any good[/Flame]

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Mr.Wiggles said:
I don't mean to deflate Halo's success but that list is missing MGS4...
Just what I was going to say. That was probably bigger than either Resistance game, and GoWIII only just came out, so it's bound to not have sold as much as MGs or Uncharted.

Ninja Tank

May 19, 2009
the reason it sells so much cause people have to buy multiple copies I'm on my 3rd i think. They break real easy in the 360 cause even if you move it a inch it just scratches the disk beyond anything playable

acutekat

Nov 2, 2009
makes sense, the xbox is a cheaper system to buy, more xbox's have sold, and the halo franchise is the definite xbox franchise ( the only reason I bought my 360 was for halo 3)

and we all know that the ps3 got off to a rocky start with it's high entry costs and trouble with exclusives

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Heh, that's actually pretty humorous. I've never seen it broken down like that, but that's a metric fuckton of Halo 3 discs when you think about it.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, I suppose it can never end. Sony had litterally just stopped flaming Microsoft and the 360. And to think, I thought there was a chance we'd get some peace.