Halo 3 Recon: The "Final Statement"

DARKLARK

Jul 30, 2008
i love how the halo trailers are always so miraculous and the games are so lackluster.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Wait a minute, my brain might just be speeding up a little from the muck from the day, but wasn't Halo 3 supposed to "finish the fight"?

Oh god, this might succumb to the Hideo Kojima method, where the developer(s) do not wish to continue on something and wish to move on but keep on doing the same thing anyway. Yeah, I don't know where I got the name of it either.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Jumplion post=7.73684.806174 said:
Wait a minute, my brain might just be speeding up a little from the muck from the day, but wasn't Halo 3 supposed to "finish the fight"?
I guess you missed that this expansion is a prequel?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=7.73684.806183 said:
Bah, prequel shme-quel, how could Bungie or anybody else really get into the Halo-verse any further than what the books have already done? Granted, I havn't read the books and I barely know Halo's story for what it's worth, but if it does turn out to be a prequel (read over the article, didn't see "prequel") then most likely it will sucumb to "Hideo Kojima syndrome" or something.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
It's going to be a shame not to have a new Halo. But I'm sure that Bungie will make something as good or better than Halo. But if Bungie keep in this semi-stealth direction, things can only get better.

mipegg

Aug 26, 2008
To tell the gods honest truth, I would way rather they took the OSDT story and played out their part of the 1st halo game. If any of you have read the book (the flood I believe) you see just how fun it could be, there could be a massive fight, scary ass sections of stealthed enemies with flood coming up from the ground and best of all, you hate master chief.

That or, playing as one of the Spartan kids during the suicide missions, that could be cool. You keep dieing and such.

Ruffythepirate

Apr 15, 2008
They will probably still keep making video games, so how bad can it be that we won't get more halo? We'll get more games from the creators of halo.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=7.73684.806120 said:
Codgo post=7.73684.804391 said:
4 player co-op with a strong focus on teamplay and tactics huh? This sounds very familiar to something else coming soon, i wonder where they got the idea.
You think Left 4 Dead copied Halo 3?
I think he meant this new Halo is copying Left4Dead, that's how I read it anyway.

morrie man

Oct 5, 2008
Oh dear, another halo add-on. Why do they bother why not just make an new game were you play as the ODST, like in the halo books, it would have some of the best fight scenes and battles ever made. I think that it looks interesting but ill wait until i can rent it from a friend to try or somthing.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks for the info. One thing: "It's a standalone disc as well, so you won't have to have Halo 3 to experience Recon."
Anyone know if you can download it through the marketplace too? That way I think the shorter campaign would be more acceptable. Since it is being named halo 3: recon, I thought it would be some kind of expansion pack you could download for halo 3.

BTW is those books you are talking about any good? Ive read the comic.

I estimate 5-8 hours, most reviewers agree (and you can look this up if you want) that Halo 3's campaign is 12-16 hours long. Which is actually about the length of Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign as well, although it's slightly shorter than Halo 2's.
Most reviewers be damned, I think that halo 3s campaign is way shorter than halo CEs. I remember nearly finishing it in a day with my friend, and only played like five hours.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
So was MGS3

OverlordSteve

Jul 8, 2008
Amnestic post=7.73684.806779 said:
So was MGS3
And every Legend of Zelda game EVER.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Gormers1 post=7.73684.806759 said:
I estimate 5-8 hours, most reviewers agree (and you can look this up if you want) that Halo 3's campaign is 12-16 hours long. Which is actually about the length of Halo: Combat Evolved's campaign as well, although it's slightly shorter than Halo 2's.
Most reviewers be damned, I think that halo 3s campaign is way shorter than halo CEs. I remember nearly finishing it in a day with my friend, and only played like five hours.
Unequal comparisons, of course it takes less time in co-op. And maybe your friend had played the campaign prior to playing with you?
Senor Smoke21 post=7.73684.806740 said:
Eldritch Warlord post=7.73684.806120 said:
Codgo post=7.73684.804391 said:
4 player co-op with a strong focus on teamplay and tactics huh? This sounds very familiar to something else coming soon, i wonder where they got the idea.
You think Left 4 Dead copied Halo 3?
I think he meant this new Halo is copying Left4Dead, that's how I read it anyway.
I know, I'm just trying to burst the Valve fanboy's little bubble. And explaining how Halo 3: Recon gets its four player co-op from Halo 3.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Halo 3: Start the fight!

You play as Jack Thompson, a UNSC soldier who has the ever important secret mission of sneaking onto the Covenent playground, calling the High Prophet's mother a doody head and kicking sand at a grunt.

Good on Bungie if they actually move onto a different IP though. For a minute there I thought they were starting to pull a Blizzard and just run their one IP into the ground.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Codgo post=7.73684.807513 said:
My god, you are a ****. I don't blame them for copying a good idea, shame they just couldn't be a bit more original. Just because somebody takes any interest in Valve doesn't make them a fanboy. Unlike you, you must be married to somebody working for Bungie.
Just to clarify, who aren't you blaming for copying a good idea?

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
"Unequal comparisons, of course it takes less time in co-op. And maybe your friend had played the campaign prior to playing with you?"
He hadnt. Not only is halo 3 much more streamlined, but it is much shorter than halo: CE in my opinion, regardless if youre playing coop or not. Anyone agreeing?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Gormers1 post=7.73684.807935 said:
"Unequal comparisons, of course it takes less time in co-op. And maybe your friend had played the campaign prior to playing with you?"
He hadnt. Not only is halo 3 much more streamlined, but it is much shorter than halo: CE in my opinion, regardless if youre playing coop or not. Anyone agreeing?
Me. Even with the arrows of the floor in Halo: CE for loads of the levels guiding you through it, I still found Halo 3 to be shorter, brutally shorter in fact, than Halo: CE.

I like to think of Halo 3's campaign as a big gaming blueball. You're quite enjoying yourself (or not if you're a Halo hater >_>) as you play it through, make it to a familiar snow covered valley with a giant construct at one end. It's all going well...fast forward to the warthog section and as you're driving along as everything's going to shit around you, you realise, sadly, that this is actually the end of the game. No epic boss fight against the gravemind, no duel to the death against the new Brute leader, nothing.

It was like the rather jarring transition of Nero->Dante->Nero in DMC4. Just as you're really getting into it, picking up the way it works and properly enjoying yourself it comes to an abrupt end and you're left feeling kind of...hollow inside. Disappointed because that's all there was.

Not to wear my nostalgia glasses too much, but I didn't get that feeling with CE. I felt it wrapped it up at a fairly nice time. Whether it was actually longer or whether it just "felt" better I can't say, all I know is that Halo 3's campaign *felt* too short.