Halo 4 Gets an Outtake Reel for its Birthday

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Halo 4 Gets an Outtake Reel for its Birthday

Halo 4 is now a year old, which means it's time to break out the embarrassing baby pictures.

Time really flies when you're mowing down aliens, doesn't it? It's been a full year since Halo 4 hit shelves, and luckily for us, 343 Industries has a birthday present for the internet! It's a blooper video from Halo 4's pre-release days, that magical time when the game is polished enough to immerse you but still rough enough that some misplaced code can send the virtual world spiraling into shenanigans. You can check out the video over at Halo Waypoint [https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/detail/b31aab5b-b2f5-437e-a957-5fc611a7995c/halo-4-a-look-back#].

The video begins with 343's franchise development director Frank O'Connor asking us to join him in reminiscing about our fond memories of Halo 4, but you already read this article's headline so you know what's really coming. Text wouldn't really do it justice - character models inflate like balloons, an automatic rifle spews cars instead of bullets, and one of the game's developers finds his face transplanted onto Cortana. It's... bizarre, to say the least.

It's a short video, but fun to watch. With the new console generation right around the corner, it's good to remember that no matter how realistic the graphics get, all it takes is one bug to turn a game into a digital circus. In fact, I hope we get more of these outtakes from games in the next generation. There's nothing quite like watching an immersive world break down into unbound chaos.

Source: Halo Waypoint [https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/detail/b31aab5b-b2f5-437e-a957-5fc611a7995c/halo-4-a-look-back#]

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Looks... funner than the actual game was actually (stopped playing after 3 months, idk how/if it's changed).
If we were able to access all the things were just shown, either through some structured method int he console version or (if the game was on PC) PC mods, I would never have stopped playing it.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Looks... funner than the actual game was actually (stopped playing after 3 months, idk how/if it's changed).
If we were able to access all the things were just shown, either through some structured method int he console version or (if the game was on PC) PC mods, I would never have stopped playing it.
You might want to take a look at Halo CE. Its the original Halo for the PC which still has a strong modding community which should tell you everything you need to know about the kind of servers you can find and what you can do in them...

EDIT: Thats Halo:Custom Edition, not Combat Evolved

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that was a lot more entertaining than playing the game, thank deity that that disaster was mostly forgotten about.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
How about one for Doom, yet it is almost 20 years old and clearly deserves it more than Halo 4.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Evonisia said:
Well that was a lot more entertaining than playing the game, thank deity that that disaster was mostly forgotten about.
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
The more I'm on this forum, the more I feel like people here don't actually like games.

OT: That was pretty funny at parts. As low-brow humor as graphical glitches can be, I find myself laughing like a madman.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
SKBPinkie said:
Evonisia said:
The more I'm on this forum, the more I feel like people here don't actually like games.

OT: That was pretty funny at parts. As low-brow humor as graphical glitches can be, I find myself laughing like a madman.
I'm sure most, if not all of us like games. But for me, Halo 4 isn't a game I like (though in all fairness I pre-ordered it expecting it to be bad and well it over achieved, so I brought it on myself).

To give an example, I like all the other Halo games (besides Reach which was pretty meh).

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Evonisia said:
I'm sure most, if not all of us like games. But for me, Halo 4 isn't a game I like (though in all fairness I pre-ordered it expecting it to be bad and well it over achieved, so I brought it on myself).

To give an example, I like all the other Halo games (besides Reach which was pretty meh).
Yeah, I've always seen myself as a 'cynical fan' of the Halo franchise. Up till now I have always promptly purchased each new installment and haven't been blown away by any of them since, well, Halo 2 to be honest.

OT: I was a little disappointed by this video, surely they could have included a bit more blooper-esque stuff, seemed to be mainly Alpha-build tests and glitches/ bugs. The Mantis riding around on the Warthog was fun though.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Evonisia said:

Yeah, I've always seen myself as a 'cynical fan' of the Halo franchise. Up till now I have always promptly purchased each new installment and haven't been blown away by any of them since, well, Halo 2 to be honest.

OT: I was a little disappointed by this video, surely they could have included a bit more blooper-esque stuff, seemed to be mainly Alpha-build tests and glitches/ bugs. The Mantis riding around on the Warthog was fun though.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
SKBPinkie said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
I like games... Just not that one. I could go into the various reasons as to why I had a less than enjoyable experience, but I don't think you'd wanna hear that.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
I like games... Just not that one. I could go into the various reasons as to why I had a less than enjoyable experience, but I don't think you'd wanna hear that.
Evonisia said:

I didn't mean to specifically target you guys, but I just feel like the forum and its topics are often negative or are about political issues related to gaming.

It's just that I'd like to see a topic like "what's your favorite vehicle / weapon / etc. in X game" come up more often rather than "man that one game sucks so bad".

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
SKBPinkie said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Evonisia said:

I didn't mean to specifically target you guys, but I just feel like the forum and its topics are often negative or are about political issues related to gaming.

It's just that I'd like to see a topic like "what's your favorite vehicle / weapon / etc. in X game" come up more often rather than "man that one game sucks so bad".
They seem to come in spurts. There'll either be a trickle, perhaps one a week or two, then there'll be like 12 in a month. But the balance of negative and positive is one of the good things about the Escapist. Most other sites will either be choked with negativity or will destroy any hint of anything negative to try and please everybody.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
reading this thread really shows how excellent the Halo series is. Halo 4, which is a great game, garners unbelievable amounts of hate due to the fact that it doesnt live up to the standard of the previous titles.

if the game was actually bad, i can only imagine what peoples reactions would have been.

OT: this video kind of sucks. all that was was like 30 seconds of glitches. when i read the word "outtakes", i expected either deleted scenes or bloopers during performance capture.