Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

Aug 1, 2010
A valiant idea, but one that I think will be completely impossible to enforce for any span of time.

Not that many people are going to see this news, so the only way the info about it will get our is with the bans themselves.

And it doesn't matter how many mods Microsoft throws at Halo 4. They simply can't reign in the whole of Xbox LIVE.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Irridium said:
I'm ok with this. Now I won't have to deal with these pricks and have them shout "white knight ******!" at me when I ask them to stop harassing the one woman in the game because it's both rude and fucking annoying.
I might actually pick up Halo 4 if this comes to fruition. I don't play many online games, for this exact reason. I'm a hetero male, so it's not even close to as bad as it could be for me on XBL; still bad enough though that I don't even own an Xbox. I play on a friend's Xbox when I'm so inclined (Offline, preferably). That might change if the servers purge their population of bigoted preteens

Alas, that will never happen. It will never happen because bigoted preteens aren't just a part of the XBL population, they're a large & vocal part of it. Noble as it would be, I don't see Microsoft deliberately alienating such an expansive portion of it's market demographic, even if those people themselves alienate potential customers like me.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
This'll probably be as effective as the regular XBL report service.

As in not at all. Most people don't report other people, and most who do just do it because they lost or something.

Now lets say this service actually does work. Who is to determine what is and isn't sexist? Is teabagging sexist? Is calling anyone a *****(regardless of gender) sexist? Is insulting a woman with gender neutral insults sexist?

What if it's something that is sexist but isn't the code of conduct, like everyone teaming up to just kill the girl? Can people get banned for that?

What about people abusing this service?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
I'm not, was thinking back to my past experiences when I played Gears of War 2 online. Sorry I offended you but back then every other word out of the other player's mouths was racist, sexist, or homophobic. It's why I cancelled my xbox live subscription and stick to PC games which seem to (on average) have more polite people.
That was exactly the game I was thinking of. All 3 of them actually. I was playing online during a little party we were throwing at my house, and a gay friend of mine who wasn't playing was having a conversation with someone curious about gay lifestyle with someone else in the background who wasn't playing.

My dear god, he might as well have been talking about building a machine to bring hitler back from the dead. "You let faggots in your house?!?! Are you a fu*** ****** too!?!?" from virtually everyone. I quit using live for multiplayer, and let it lapse that year...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
FelixG said:
SextusMaximus said:
Guarantee this only applies to sexism towards women.
This is what I figure too.

they will only look after the womenfolk because it is the hot button topic this quarter.

Lets see if they will start permabanning for things like "******, cocksucker, ******, spic, jewlord, towelhead" ect ect

Until they apply their censors uniformly to protect everyone, not just one demographic because of a hotbutton PC agenda, they can fuck right off.
So what? Sexism, ISN'T a problem in video games and shouldn't be addressed?

Aug 1, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
MrDeckard said:
And it doesn't matter how many mods Microsoft throws at Halo 4. They simply can't reign in the whole of Xbox LIVE.
True, you can't catch everyone, but you can scare them. Kind of like how when you see a police officer writing someone a ticket you slow down. Or even the sight of that empty police car on the side of the highway makes you flinch.

Threatening to take away these kid's only feeling of self importance is probably the easiest way to get them to behave.
Right, but the problem is the publicity.

When someone mouths off and gets banned, there isn't going to be a booming voice across the map saying "xxX HaloUrMum Xxx was banned for sexism! Watch out people!"

It will most likely say they left the game or something just as discreet.

The word won't be spread.

Unless they've found a way to address this, in which case I'm just babbling.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I just remembered that Halo Reach had an option to mute everyone except your friends.

Why don't people just use that?

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
AnarchistAbe said:
Is it worth a permaban to joke about "getting back to the kitchen"?
Yes, a permaban is the least they could do. It's not funny. No one thinks it is funny. If you do think it's funny then you're an ass.

Joke or not. It's still sexism and it a part of a system that males have put in place to justify their behaviour. Saying; "it's just a joke, get over it." Does not make it any less offensive.
Why is it ok for me to be as blatantly racist as possible, but sexism is off limits?
That's why there's a zero tolerance policy for sexist or discriminatory comments on Xbox Live.

It's not just about sexism. It's about all forms of discrimination. Sexism is however brought up because it's obviously the most prominent problem in the gaming "community".

Sep 14, 2009
Dexter111 said:
Well, I'm sure this is going to go over well with their targetted demographic:

I'd rather companies do not prevent or censor free speech or in other ways superimpose their "company rules" on their customers. And I'm hoping this "sexism" scare-phase ends sooner rather than later, but then I've never played on Xbox Live and never intend to. But some of the funniest experiences I had in regards to voice-enabled were in games like Counter Strike: Source (where it's handled on a server by server basis by admins) when people flipped out and started blabbering inane gibberish, as well as in games like WarCraft 3 or League of Legends based on text.
This mostly. Unless it's personal attacks on a person/spamming someone's inbox with threats and such, I think censoring free speech can be a bad thing.

There is something that solves this most of the time, it's called a mute button, very handy. (and as I pointed out, if it goes beyond that such as a inbox spam/threats, then i don't see a problem reporting the douchebags)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
FelixG said:
erttheking said:
So what? Sexism, ISN'T a problem in video games and shouldn't be addressed?
They should address sexism, racism, theologicophobia as a whole instead of just one small part of the offensive behavior.

What they are doing is simply appealing to the sheep by jumping on the "EMAGERD SEXISM" bandwagon and it seems to be working.
I don't think that, all the women in this thread that went "oh thank god, now I can go on without having to deal with this crap" are just mindless sheep that don't know what they're talking about.

I would like to point out that the article says that they're going to deal with all discriminatory comments too, so yeah, no need to worry about that. But as I've said before in another post, you can really tell someone's race over Xbox live, but you can tell their gender. Racist and homophobic insults are really just stock insults that people throw around at people, people don't throw the n-word on xbox live because the person that they're throwing it at is black, but they do say things like "get back in the kitchen" because the person is female, making it much more personal. But I guess it doesn't matter, because the article does say that they're going to target both sexist and descrimatory comments, see?
Karloff said:
That's why there's a zero tolerance policy for sexist or discriminatory comments on Xbox Live; players who fall foul of the policy face a lifetime ban from the network.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Myrmecodon said:
And then the by-word will be "X-box Live? What's that?"

Real people have racist and sexist attitudes they don't express in polite company. If you make X-box live polite company, they'll leave, your financial base will tank, and you'll have to go ruin something else.
Xbox Live is not specifically catering to people intent on behaving like unspooled fuckwads - which is why I fully support devs trying to promote a positive online environment in their community.
Basically Halo's getting the Dragon Age 2 treatment. Guess the people in charge of the franchise ran out of ideas to steal, which is probably why they sold it to a woman-owned company in the first place.
I'm not sure how the first part of that paragraph is even remotely relevant, but I'm pretty sure that I don't like the sexist implications of the second half.
Just one more reason to join the PC gaming master race.
May I recommend LoL? I'm sure you'll feel right at home.

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
slipknot4 said:
AnarchistAbe said:
Is it worth a permaban to joke about "getting back to the kitchen"?
Yes, a permaban is the least they could do. It's not funny. No one thinks it is funny. If you do think it's funny then you're an ass.

Joke or not. It's still sexism and it a part of a system that males have put in place to justify their behaviour. Saying; "it's just a joke, get over it." Does not make it any less offensive.
Why is it ok for me to be as blatantly racist as possible, but sexism is off limits?
That's why there's a zero tolerance policy for sexist or discriminatory comments on Xbox Live.

It's not just about sexism. It's about all forms of discrimination. Sexism is however brought up because it's obviously the most prominent problem in the gaming "community".
Are you telling me that someone with the tag "Slipknot4" is going to get upset at being told to get back to the kitchen??? Slipknot starts the song 'Disasterpiece' with the sentence "I'm going to slit your throat, and **** the wound", and you're going to condemn someone for the use of a sexist comment?

Full disclosure: I'm a huge Sliknot fan. Just pointing out the mind-boggling hypocrisy of getting offended at "get back to the kitchen", and not that act of absurd violence.

Sep 14, 2009
Genocidicles said:
I just remembered that Halo Reach had an option to mute everyone except your friends.

Why don't people just use that?
because people can't just simply be "offended" these days, they can't just shrug and move along.

something must be done anytime someone says something you might not like.

*gasp!* those vocal sound rifts in the air offended my ears! PERMABAN THEIR GAME!

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Kargathia said:
AnarchistAbe said:
What we're talking about is COMPLETELY REMOVING THEIR ABILITY TO PLAY ONLINE, because someone found their remarks "sexist"...
Right now, what we're talking about is a community that has become a by-word for steady streams of homophobic, racist, and sexist insults being hurtled at anyone in the general vicinity. Liberal application of perma-bans sounds about right.
Why not just apply a ban to their voice-communication privileges? Why do they need to be completely banned from the service for speaking? Personally, I'm happy every time someone says something to offend me. Why, you ask? Because I am privileged to be in a country where I have the right to get offended, and they have the right to say whatever offensive statement they want to make.

The 'Mute' function is there for a reason. Use it. But don't demand that someone should lose their ability to play, because you're too sensitive and they aren't PC.