Halo 4 Sexism Earns You a Lifetime Ban

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
Just in case I was going to think about buying an Xbox, they throw gems like these in. How fucking retarded is this, a permanent ban from the network as opposed to, say, forcibly muting the offender? No, no, we just gotta masturbate all over ourselves and the ultra-PC, thin-skinned, whinging audience we hope this is going to reach.

Whatever.
That was a little overly hostile. And besides, to me and a lot of other people, saying "why ban them when you can mute them" is like saying "why get rid of the problem when you can ignore it." That person is still running around XBL making things unpleasant for everyone else. He's the problem.

nacatak

Nov 1, 2012
erttheking said:
nacatak said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Though now I'm curious as to what the equivalent of "make me a sammich" is.
Go die in a war.

Go kill yourself.

Go get killed on the job.

All things that men do at far, far higher rates than women.
Seriously? Are you seriously saying "men do the bigger and more dangerous jobs then women"? No offense and not to use a stock insult that's getting thrown around...that's pretty sexist.

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshcfoi1.htm if you'd like to find it yourself (page 8 of http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0010.pdf).

So yes, I am saying "men do the more dangerous jobs" because they do... they make up 92% of all workplace fatalities... that's a simple statement of fact, draw whatever conclusions you want from it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
nacatak said:
erttheking said:
nacatak said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Though now I'm curious as to what the equivalent of "make me a sammich" is.
Go die in a war.

Go kill yourself.

Go get killed on the job.

All things that men do at far, far higher rates than women.
Seriously? Are you seriously saying "men do the bigger and more dangerous jobs then women"? No offense and not to use a stock insult that's getting thrown around...that's pretty sexist.

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics: http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshcfoi1.htm if you'd like to find it yourself (page 8 of http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0010.pdf).

So yes, I am saying "men do the more dangerous jobs" because they do... they make up 92% of all workplace fatalities... that's a simple statement of fact, draw whatever conclusions you want from it.
I'm not arguing the facts, I'm arguing what you're trying to imply from the facts.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
nacatak said:
erttheking said:
nacatak said:
erttheking said:
nacatak said:
erttheking said:
It's not the word itself that matters, dick and c*** aren't equal insults because they don't have the same weight behind them. You don't call a man a dick because you're trying to oppress him for being a man, you call a man a dick because you think that he's a jackass. C*** on the other hand, while it can be used like dick, has a tendency to be used against women, insulting them for being women. Dick and c*** aren't even close to being equal. Men aren't being oppressed by being called dicks, because that insult isn't meant to be sexist. Women are being oppressed by being called c*** because it is meant to be sexist.

Also, why is it that sexism against men only gets brought up when people are complaining about sexism against women?
And there we have it folks, one is sexist and the other is not because "errtheking" said so. Double standard abolished!

In all seriousness though, why don't you try and figure out WHY they are considered different. Saying "**** is bad because its oppressive" is no more valid than me saying "dick is bad because it's oppressive". Look past the completely subjective "feelings" someone or some people have over word and as I said, try and figure out why they are different.... emotions are not a valid argument, anyone can feel anything, it doesn't mean I should respect it.
I think you'll be rather hard pressed to find a man who feels like he's being oppressed for being called a dick. It's just the overall state of the culture, it's not "because I say so" it's just common knowledge. I have never seen a single instance of dick being used as a sexist term, but more than a few of c*** being used as a sexist term. It's kind of like f*****, it may be used by others for a different meaning, but it has roots in discrimination, just like c*** does. Dick however, doesn't really have a history of being using as a derogatory insult.
I FEEL that your words are oppressing me right now, therefore you should stop or else get banned. I also feel that "dick" is oppressive and should be banned. Why is that statement wrong? Are my feelings not as important?

I'm just going to link this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion and you can try and figure out why trying to create universal rules that try and pander to an individuals completely subjective emotions is illogical.
You're complete missing the point, I'm not even using feelings as an argument against you. I'm pointing out that the words c*** and f****** have a history of widespread usage as discriminatory insults and as such, they tend to be used as such today. Dick doesn't have a history like that, nor really any records of being used with the intent to insult someone for their gender. Really, you're the one that keeps bringing up emotions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition
That's not the point, it's not "tradition". C*** and F***** have been and are used as derogatory insults and dick really isn't, I don't really think that there's much dispute over that.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hammeroj said:
erttheking said:
Hammeroj said:
Just in case I was going to think about buying an Xbox, they throw gems like these in. How fucking retarded is this, a permanent ban from the network as opposed to, say, forcibly muting the offender? No, no, we just gotta masturbate all over ourselves and the ultra-PC, thin-skinned, whinging audience we hope this is going to reach.

Whatever.
That was a little overly hostile. And besides, to me and a lot of other people, saying "why ban them when you can mute them" is like saying "why get rid of the problem when you can ignore it." That person is still running around XBL making things unpleasant for everyone else. He's the problem.
No, it's nothing like saying that. I'm saying if somebody keeps offending people by, for instance, using the word "*****", you mute him. No, not you, the player. You, the developer, mute him, so other people can't get offended by what the guy has to say. He still gets to play the game, and Xbox live becomes even more boring than it already is - everybody's happy.

This is mindless bandwagoning around what is practically a non-issue on a level of Kotaku, and that's why I'm hostile towards this.
I would think that a woman that went online, spoke up and because of her gender got called a ***** might have her experience for the rest of the match tainted. I don't really see why we should focus on keeping sexist bullies happy, insults like this is against the Xbox Live code of conduct, they shouldn't get off scott free for breaking the rules they agreed to abide by when they made their account.

I think all of the women in this thread who have pointed out that they've had to deal with this online proves that it's a real problem. Saying that actually trying to fix it is "bandwagoning" is kind of insulting.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
cynicalsaint1 said:
One wonders what proportion of people crying out against this are straight white dues, trying to tell people that their experiences online aren't actually real, or aren't really a problem. Kind of easy to say that when you're not the target after all ...

Either way Xbox Live isn't a public space its privately own and run buy Microsoft. And Microsoft has decided that having their service be something that anyone can play on regardless of gender/race/sexual preference/whatever and feel comfortable to doing so, out weighs a user's assumed right to spew hate filled speech.

Unfortunately I don't think there really is a good solution to any of this without swinging the banhammer is probably the only thing that even has a chance at getting the message across to the masses.
Pretty much this.

At the end of the day, the community had 12 years of second chances. It's over. To entertain Negotiations at this point would be pretty damn insulting.

Freedom of Speech does not exempt you of criticism or make it okay to ignore the terms of use, nor does it mean being a monster is okay.

I don't particularly see what people are fighting in favor for. This censorship and punishment only applies to hateful or even bigoted language. Stop using it...problem solved.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
nacatak said:
cynicalsaint1 said:
One wonders what proportion of people crying out against this are straight white dues, trying to tell people that their experiences online aren't actually real, or aren't really a problem. Kind of easy to say that when you're not the target after all ...

Either way Xbox Live isn't a public space its privately own and run buy Microsoft. And Microsoft has decided that having their service be something that anyone can play on regardless of gender/race/sexual preference/whatever and feel comfortable to doing so, out weighs a user's assumed right to spew hate filled speech.

Unfortunately I don't think there really is a good solution to any of this without swinging the banhammer is probably the only thing that even has a chance at getting the message across to the masses.

I don't see too many people here actually arguing that sexism is a good thing and should be allowed. At best, they are arguing that maybe a perma-ban is a little too severe. Most people are arguing that all forms of discrimination should be viewed as equally (and as I've said previously, to view one form of discrimination as worse than others is in fact discrimination itself).
I wouldn't argue against that, but if you honestly want me to believe that men get an equal amount of discriminatory speech flung their way simply for the fact that they're male as women do, I'm going to need some convincing.

Furthermore a lot of this is going to come down to how exactly the policy is implemented - I doubt they're going to ban anyone without any kind of evidence - its against their best interests to turn away a paying customer who did nothing wrong after all.

Finally why do you assume that the policy only protects women, homosexuals, etc?

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
LoL this is laughable. how the heck can she say "That's why there's a zero tolerance policy for sexist or discriminatory comments on Xbox Live"

I have heard more foul sh*t on the xbox than anywhere else. unless they disable ingame communications completely or have moderators in every public match, I'm gonna have to call bullsh*t on this one.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Spookimitsu said:
LoL this is laughable. how the heck can she say "That's why there's a zero tolerance policy for sexist or discriminatory comments on Xbox Live"

I have heard more foul sh*t on the xbox than anywhere else. unless they disable ingame communications completely or have moderators in every public match, I'm gonna have to call bullsh*t on this one.
Uh, they're saying that they're GOING to have this policy with Halo 4 when it comes out.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Hammeroj said:

Whatever.
No, it's not retarded. I imagine this isn't a case of "You made a sexist joke, you're banned." I think it's closer to the constant harassment people get, and it DOES impede the game. I rarely use my microphone in games - I prefer to only talk to my friends. Occasionally, when other people are using their microphones, I decide to use mine. Communication is integral to teamwork. A coherent team will stamp all over a group of red or blue individuals. However, during one Capture the Flag game of Halo: Reach, my attempts at working with the other players were continually drowned out by an American voice of indeterminate gender repeating "Would you like some fish and chips?"
I'm not offended by this mockery of my nationality. However, I was pissed off that I couldn't get a word in edgeways, because this little shit was too busy trying to be funny. I could mute them, but then what. Then I'm not communicating with the team, and should this wee fuck decide to be useful, I won't know about it. Besides, I was not raised to ignore problems.

Now I got one voice using a single stereotype for a short while during a game. I've got an English accent, and I rarely hear English people being harassed. I DO hear people with definite 'foreign' accents get mocked a lot, and women get it worse than anyone. You hear a lot of insults get thrown around - ****** a common one, but from these kids it doesn't mean anything. Kill his avatar, he shouts "you fucking cheating ****** I fucked your mom". A total non-insult. I'm not gay, I have no issue with being gay, and I'm fairly sure he hasn't met my mother. Any gay person insulted in this way would likely not be offended either - A non-insult. No particular target.

Female voice however. The insults stop being non-insults. Now she can't communicate because people on her OWN team are either making her verbally and loudly unwelcome, or trying to defend her. Either way, the game's pretty much over because nobody can concentrate for all the screechy children abusing the poor woman.

So yeah. It's not single comments, it's not jokes, it's harassment.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
Snowblindblitz said:
I like this. Hopefully, it's more of a report basis, followed by investigation.

Plus, I kept reading her name as "Wolfkill" at first, and thought to myself, now that's a hardass name. Truly. I wish I had a name as hardcore as that.
I think thats because it does say "Wolfkill" at one point but she is also reffered to as "Wolkfill"

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
erttheking said:
Spookimitsu said:

Uh, they're saying that they're GOING to have this policy with Halo 4 when it comes out.
Uh, I'm saying that unless they disable ingame communications completely or have moderators in every public match, it's going to be impossible to enforce.

Beyond that, it's a big case of too little too late. They've heard the terrible stuff that people say to each in their games for YEARS. Now they want to do something about it? Years ago that might have earned enough respect from me to warrant a purchase. Now-a-days I just won't play Halo anymore so /shrug

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I can definitely get behind this. The only thing is, I'm curious to see what passes for sexist comments. I've heard of many people getting bans here on the escapist for strange reasons. Anyway, if this is becoming a thing, let's hope the 12-year-olds don't catch wind of it. I'd love to see a mass-banning take place.

CanuckWithSideburns

May 9, 2012
Just throwin' my two cents in, I'm mostly with Ross and Wolfkill on this, although I think they should have put a bit more emphasis on "discriminatory comments". I'm not sayin' that sexism isn't still a big problem, just that the term "discrimination" is more all-encompassing. Sexism, racism, homophobia and all other forms of discrimination aught to be zapped equally. I don't think it's an infringement on freedom of speech. It's action against bullying. People are being hurt by this.

That said, I also think that a permaban right off the bat might be a bit much. Even the nicest of us has a case of foot-in-mouth syndrome every now and again and nobody wants to get a lifetime ban because of one slip of the tongue. A penalty system is probably a better idea here. Start with removal from a game for discriminatory behaviour and work your way up from there. Plenty of other organizations have rules for unsporting conduct in their games. "Abusive language" is actually grounds for a penalty under the NHL's code of conduct: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26486. So, why not take a leaf out of this book? Start applying these sorts of penalties for discriminatory conduct. Although maybe they should leave out the part that penalizes profanity, because then we'd ALL be screwed :p.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Schadrach said:
excalipoor said:
People are offended by 343i taking away the right of pricks to be dicks? I'm baffled.
To the five of you above: If the Escapist followed the kind of policy described in the article, and assuming it wasn't itself only enforced in a sexist fashion, that comment right there should have you permabanned on the spot, since you used terms for male genitals as a pejorative, no different than using the terms "****", "twat", or "pussy" to describe some person or group in a negative light.

Since you approve of the kind of policy described, I assume you will hold yourselves to it and request a self ban from the moderators, right?
Half the people you're quoting are against it, but whatever. Outside this context, calling someone a dick isn't any more charged than calling someone an asshole (and everybody has one of those, how about that!). You talk about the "cunts" and "twats", but discriminatory language isn't limited to simple pejoratives or expletives. In any case, I'd have absolutely no problem cleaning up my own language if it was dictated by site rules. It's not, as you're perfectly well aware. Nice play of the hypocrite card though.

When someone is hurling bile at you, you can either shrug it off and ignore it (mute!), or bend over and take the abuse (man up...? That's not right). But why should you have to? Why should anyone have to deal with someone else's bullshit? The merits of zero tolerance are arguable, and I agree with you there. The merits of taking the responsibility away from the folks at the receiving end and placing it on the ones dishing the abuse, however, aren't.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
So to sum up the arguments against banning people who use slurs (sexist or otherwise) on Halo 4 for those just joining us:

1. Freedom of Speech!

This one demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of what that is and how it works.

2. Just Mute Them!

This one is just too easily reversible.

"If someone offends you with slurs on XBL, just mute them!"

"If you can't play a game without spouting slurs, just mute yourself!"

3. People Will Get Banned for Jokes or No Reason or Because They Beat Someone!

You can hardly critique how a system functions before it even starts. No one here knows the specifics of how the system will work, what kind of appeals system may or may not be in place, or what has been defined as a slur by the moderation group. "No-Tolerance" just means that there are no situations in which slurs would be deemed acceptable, not that there is no way to contest a ban.

4. It's a Waste of Time! There Will be Way Too Much for the Mods to Handle!

Ah the old fallback of "I don't think it will work so why bother". Unless you have a degree or equivalent 1000 hours work experience in group psychology, then your opinion on whether or not it will work means about jack.

The people who decided to institute this? They did so not only from a position of greater experience, but with the knowledge that if they screw this up it will permanently tarnish their good reputation. Publicly failing to meet expectations set by itself is one of the worst things a company can do to itself. They knew the risks when they started up, they wouldn't have said anything if they figured less than 80% probability of success.

5. Perma Bans are Overkill!

Maybe, maybe not. That one is entirely subjective. Personally I prefer the old fashioned method of keeping magpies and crows out of your yard, which is the approach I think is being taken here.