Halo Bootcamp Turns Up on Korean Ratings Board

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Halo Bootcamp Turns Up on Korean Ratings Board

The Halo franchise is no stranger to spinoffs. Nearly half of the Halo games fall outside the core series, and it looks like we could be seeing another addition to that list soon. Observant gamers discovered a listing for a game called Bootcamp on the Korean Game Rating Board, to be produced by Microsoft Korea. The translated description of the game ties it to the Halo IP, but aside from that there's quite a bit of guesswork going on. One thing is known, though: Microsoft has confirmed that more information on Bootcamp will be coming very soon.

"What's Bootcamp?" reads a statement from a Microsoft spokesperson. "It is not related to our Xbox One efforts, or the Reclaimer Saga, but rather a project we're very enthusiastic about and will have more to say about in the near future."

It's not much in the way of details, but the statement does narrow things down enough to make some educated guesses. Bootcamp won't be part of the Reclaimer Saga (the new trilogy that began with Halo 4), so odds are good that it's either a prequel of some kind or directly tied to the original trilogy. Another point of interest is the fact that Bootcamp is rated as a PC/Online title, with no mention of consoles from this generation or the next. Halo games have been ported to PC in the past, but there's never been a PC exclusive entry to the series.

Naturally, theories abound. We could finally be seeing a PC port of Halo 3, potentially packaging the spinoff shooters under the new name, but don't count on it. Although the description of Bootcamp called out Halo 3 by name under Google Translate, other translation services say that the "3" is actually an indication that Bootcamp is a third-person shooter - a big change for the series, if true. There may also be something in the name: the novel Halo: Fall of Reach: Boot Camp explored the origins of Master Chief before he became the power armored super-soldier we know him as today. It's possible that we could be visiting Chief's past in that context.

Anything I can think of this early is little more than speculation. Microsoft did promise that more information is coming "in the near future," so I'd put my money on an official debut at E3 early next month.

Source: GameFront [http://www.grb.or.kr/Statistics/Popup/Pop_ReasonInfo.aspx?9b56108381cb03aa16abd4a8ed9742dbcecd98f227eaeaf17ed258610ac557e8]

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I'm going to call it as an MMO of some kind for the Asian Market. Maybe it will even be F2P.

Perhaps something like Ghost Recon: Online?

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Chrono212 said:
I'm going to call it as an MMO of some kind for the Asian Market. Maybe it will even be F2P.

If it's as fun as GRO, I'll take it. I still demand Halo 3 PC port some day, dogdamnit.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:

If it's as fun as GRO, I'll take it. I still demand Halo 3 PC port some day, dogdamnit.
Halo 3? That's soooooooooooo 2007!
Halo: Reach is where it's at, yo.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Chrono212 said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:

Screw Halo: Reach, that was a step back in a lot of ways.

OT: It's Halo: Fall of Reach Not Halo: Fall of Reach: Bootcamp. Just sayin'

Still excited though.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
Chrono212 said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:

Screw Halo: Reach, that was a step back in a lot of ways.

OT: It's Halo: Fall of Reach Not Halo: Fall of Reach: Bootcamp. Just sayin'

Still excited though.
There was a comic book retelling that everyone and their grandmother thinks is the novel, for some fucking reason.

Anyways, part of me is excited for this, but another part of me is absolutely terrified.

Think about it. PC. Online. Microsoft has been about mixing experiences together.

If Bootcamp is a Facebook game, consider me, well...

See the following video:

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Chrono212 said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:

The blunt honest truth: I WANT TO FINISH THE FUCKING FIGHT DAMNIT! GIVE ME IT AND I'LL HAPPILY BURN THROUGH THE GAME IN A DAY

The polite answer: Oh I'd love to have Reach too, and ODST. If they leave out 4... then fine, although I understand it ends on a decent note. But please, for the love of all that is good in this world, PORT THE GAME TO PC.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I'm just going to put this out there: Halo MOBA. LoL is popular in Korea, right? And everyone else is trying to get a MOBA on the market before the bubble bursts, so maybe this is Microsofts attempt?

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:

The blunt honest truth: I WANT TO FINISH THE FUCKING FIGHT DAMNIT! GIVE ME IT AND I'LL HAPPILY BURN THROUGH THE GAME IN A DAY

The polite answer: Oh I'd love to have Reach too, and ODST. If they leave out 4... then fine, although I understand it ends on a decent note. But please, for the love of all that is good in this world, PORT THE GAME TO PC.
Yeah, I want to see Halo 3 return to relevance. That game was good fun, and I'd love to see what the modders would do.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's probably a casual free-to-play farmville like game that will somehow tie-in to the Halo TV show. Prepareyourselves for countless messages as such: "Your friend has found a lost Grunt. Adopt it by clicking this button!", "Your friend needs help finishing the fight. Join Halo: Bootcamp now to help them" and "Your friend has stuck you with a plasma grenade. You're totally fucked!"

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
A Halo 4: Spartan Ops and war-games style persistent world shooter for the PC would be cool, if its a cow clicker my monitor might go out the window.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
My money is on an MMO for Windows 8. MS is really struggling with getting people to develop stuff for W8.
They actually came to my Uni not to long ago and had a programming seminar-thing for W8 apps. They said you didn't need any programming experience and there'd be pizza.
I didn't end up going though.

If not, then I'm hoping for a Halo themed exercise game. Those things always have some charm for me, because they seem so absurd.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
an annoyed writer said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
Chrono212 said:

Yeah, I want to see Halo 3 return to relevance. That game was good fun, and I'd love to see what the modders would do.
Look up Halo: Custom Edition. They've gotten to the point that they're subverting the engine with Google Open-Sauce and adding additional functionality, like vehicle stealing and alt-weapon fire modes/dual wielding. If the fans keep it up, the game will effectively be Halo 3, just missing a few things. Part of me honestly hopes some day they find a way to rip the audio/cutscenes from the game and just remake at least parts of the Halo 3 campaign as mod levels in Halo 1. They've already made custom maps with that level of polish, and they've ported Halo 3 beta assets more than once...