Halo CE, 2 and 3 - What's your bronze, silver and gold ranking for the trilogy?

Griffith

The Force of Evil
Sep 27, 2020
Country
UK
I'm a little late for the party, having finally picked up the Master Chief collection for PC and finished the fight, I now understand the big deal with Halo. What a ride. I'm very much looking forward to ODST and the Forerunner Trilogy!
Gold - Halo 2
Silver - Halo 3
Bronze - Halo CE
In my humble opinion. It was the Arbiter's story in 2 that blew the other games (as fantastic as they are) out of the water for me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I would say that 2 had the weakest gameplay when it came out since the fov on it was way too far forward. But it certainly has the strongest story, even with the worst blueballs ending I have ever seen.
2nd for me is Halo CE. I think the story is pretty strong there, it does a great job of setting up an interesting universe and conflict and the gameplay is quite good.
3rd is harder since the story for the rest of the games tend to start having problems. Like Halo 3 you have the problem of them adding this weird spiritual super special thing to the relationship between Cortana and the chief, which is just weird and bugs me. In Reach it really did feel like all the characters knew they were in one of those movies were everyone has to die and were a bit too eager for it, plus the death of Kat was bs. ODST, interesting plot and story telling method but the character dynamic was out of a rather cheesy 90s action movie. I think I would have go give it to reach since the gameplay was so good by that point.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I stopped caring about Halo after Reach. They just made Master Chief be predestined by forerunner magic science. And I haven't been able to be as engaged with the multiplayer since Halo 2. You really had to be there when it was the pinnacle of xbox live and lan parties. Only the first game had a good fps story that was a mystery and exploring a giant ring world. Halo 2 had a decent story with the Arbiter, but it was somewhat short.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I stopped caring about Halo after Reach. They just made Master Chief be predestined by forerunner magic science.
Ugh, I do hate that so much. I much prefer it as him being in the right place at the right time with the right gear.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Ugh, I do hate that so much. I much prefer it as him being in the right place at the right time with the right gear.
I saw enough of Halo 4 to just tune out of Halo for good. Most of the weapons and architecture looks like it was designed by preschool kids. The story and lore of Halo just got stupid and annoying after the third game. They try to jam so much Christian allegory, but none of it means much.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I saw enough of Halo 4 to just tune out of Halo for good. Most of the weapons and architecture looks like it was designed by preschool kids. The story and lore of Halo just got stupid and annoying after the third game. They try to jam so much Christian allegory, but none of it means much.
I'm still looking forward to playing it when it comes to the MCC since I stopped buying console games when it came out. But, I am really worry its plot will just piss me off.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was never a Halo fan, but I have played the games in the original trilogy.

Halo 2 > Halo 1> Halo 3.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The proper Halo ranking goes Halo Reach, Halo ODST, Halo 2...

And that's it. The rest are wibbly wobbly space magic melodramas about space gods, destiny, Destiny, and the plot TNG's The Chase.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I got the Halo MCC on steam. I never played a Halo prior to this year, due to never having a Microsoft console, and I gotta say, I don't think I missed out on anything. They're all just kinda average.
I much more prefer the CoD style "enemies die in 1 or 2 bullets" vs "bullet sponge enemies that require one or two reloads before you can kill them"

Maybe I'm missing the point? Maybe it was revolutionary for its time?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hell yes it was! Halo brought online console gaming on the map! Like said before, was not that in to the series, but there is no denying it left a very huge influence on gaming. Whether it be online or the gameplay influences on many fps games on console and PC.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Halo was the first fps game that really worked well on console. Like, to the point where using a controller didn't feel like it was inferior to a mouse, it was, but it felt good to use a controller with it. It was also the first major one with a grenade button so you didn't need to select the grenades like in Duke or Half Life and a quick melee button.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I got the Halo MCC on steam. I never played a Halo prior to this year, due to never having a Microsoft console, and I gotta say, I don't think I missed out on anything. They're all just kinda average.
I much more prefer the CoD style "enemies die in 1 or 2 bullets" vs "bullet sponge enemies that require one or two reloads before you can kill them"

It was a very easy console shooter that was accesible to everyone. And it had a semi decent story by shooting game standards.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Halo LAN parties were awesome back in the day. 16 people under the same roof yelling at each other and trying to steal looks at other people’s screen to cheat. Doing similar things over voice chat is not the same.

Halo is streamlining everything. You could say too much (as it gave rise to the idea that console makes everything easier.)But it was also a breath of fresh air at the time

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo CE has a campaign that I enjoy, but a multiplayer mode that I don't really like.

Halo 2 has a multiplayer that I enjoy, but a campaign mode that I don't really like.

Halo 3 has a campaign mode that I enjoy, and a multiplayer mode that I enjoy, and enhanced the whole package with community features that blew everything else out of the water.

Halo 3 > Halo CE > Halo 2