Halo Composer Wins Bungie Suit

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, that'll keep him afloat for around a year I say. Plenty of time for him to find new work. I mean He's freaking marty! Studios are going to be fighting over him. (At least they SHOULD!)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
And here I was, 100% sure that some smart aleck fan had sent him a full suit of bungee gear.

Real life is less awesome than what I want it to be.

...Oh yeah, and good for him. I guess.
I really wish your version was the real version of events.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Good to see him win, if it's only 100k then he obviously just wanted wanted what his contract stated, he never said anything bad about bungie for firing him. He just wanted what was legally his.

Whoever ends up employing him in the future I'll look out for, he does great work. His music is the best part about halo.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
O'Donnell's music is one of the bigger reasons ODST stands as my favorite Halo game.

I'm glad he got what he was owed. Hopefully he'll move on to some new & exciting ventures.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
lacktheknack said:
No... they fired him for and then refused to pay him his severance package. Stack on "double damages" and legal fees and the total was about $95k. The original amount was probably in the $30ks.
Your avatar, I despise it to the core.

#ahem#

Anyway, I suppose you're right, although based on past form I assume that Activision is leaning on people to make sure that anyone with a favourable bonus agreement is out of Bungie before Destiny releases. That way even if they get sued they can claim that release milestone and sales bonuses aren't owed to anyone.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Huh, I'll have to keep this precedent in mind for the next time I get "let go on friendly terms" before I have a chance to use my vacation days and such. :p

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
MercurySteam said:
Martin O'Donnell's music essentially defined the Halo games, so if Bungie screwed him over then he damn well deserves compensation. Good on him.
Pretty much this. The music is the one thing that sticks in my head more than anything. The balance of the game was terrible (Super pistols anyone? In every game only one normal weapon is really viable), Story was derivative and only got worse, characters were fairly non-existent and the world was completely unoriginal as well.
See here is my issue. You want to know why the story got worse? It is because Marty took more control over it. Halo 3 and Reach's story had to go through Marty. He wanted everyone to die. Want to know why the Master Chief has no character because Marty wouldn't let them add any. It would break the illusion that under the helmet was our face. He may have been a great composer but I am glade that he is gone.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
TorchofThanatos said:
Chairman Miaow said:
MercurySteam said:
Martin O'Donnell's music essentially defined the Halo games, so if Bungie screwed him over then he damn well deserves compensation. Good on him.
Pretty much this. The music is the one thing that sticks in my head more than anything. The balance of the game was terrible (Super pistols anyone? In every game only one normal weapon is really viable), Story was derivative and only got worse, characters were fairly non-existent and the world was completely unoriginal as well.
See here is my issue. You want to know why the story got worse? It is because Marty took more control over it. Halo 3 and Reach's story had to go through Marty. He wanted everyone to die. Want to know why the Master Chief has no character because Marty wouldn't let them add any. It would break the illusion that under the helmet was our face. He may have been a great composer but I am glade that he is gone.
Didn't realise he had any influence beyond the music.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TorchofThanatos said:
I would like to see a news story link or links from developers on those games proving this, because that seems very hard to believe honestly. And if it turns out to be true, then that means that the Executive Producers, and the Directors of those games had no balls to stand up to the Composer when it came to making a game, showing that they could be easily walked all over by their other workers.

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Neronium said:
TorchofThanatos said:
I would like to see a news story link or links from developers on those games proving this, because that seems very hard to believe honestly. And if it turns out to be true, then that means that the Executive Producers, and the Directors of those games had no balls to stand up to the Composer when it came to making a game, showing that they could be easily walked all over by their other workers.
You can find it when you watch the behind the scenes stuff on the special editions. He talks about how the game didn't have emotional weight behind it so he decide it would be better to kill off Johnson and the female captain (who I can't remember her name) at the end of Halo 3. He says something similar in Reach's behind the scene thing too. I am assuming that Marty tired to walk over someone again and that is why he got fired but that is pure guess work and some behind the scenes interviews isn't great evidence. I do have a friend who has talked to some bungie guys and they didn't like him but again that is most here-say. The Executive Producers and Directors should have grown a pair but them firing him and making him seem like the hero was not a good choice. Either was Marty was a great Composer but also someone that liked to over step his bounds. There is more to him being fired but no one is saying anything. The whole thing is very weird and overly secretive leading me just to guess the worse.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
That's the first thing that hit me about the Destiny Beta, the nice orchestral score, and then to be reminded of the fact they laid this guy off and hang a depressing note over the rest of the experience. Games alright with buddies, but somebody at Bungie is a huge dick.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
-Dragmire- said:
You know, when someone says that they let someone go on, "friendly terms", that just seems to mean that they were smiling as they kicked that person out the door.
Its worst than that, he was never kicked, one day he came back to work and found he was fired, even the people who was supposed to kick him out were surprised.
It seems like the blame is totally on Harold Ryan, although nobody is quite sure, it was quite sad to visit the Bungie forums that day, everyone was like "its Bungie's fault", and Bungie people were like "We didnt even knew".
Oddest thing of it, LEGALLY HE STILL OWNS A PART OF BUNGIE STUDIOS.... Also the entire sound department was built by him, he hired all the workers. So wtf?