Halo Reach Perfect 10! WTF?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
ShadowsofHope said:
Sacman said:
John Funk said:
it's functional
that has always been my biggest problem with the Halo games. The story is functional, it rarely rises above and beyond and only really serves to lead us to more enemies to kill...
..Like every other FPS in gaming history?
Half-Life, Deus Ex, Bishock, System Shock, Metro 2033...
Halo may not deliver it's story as effectively as it can through the game, and more through the novels, but if you actually pay attention half the time to the content of the game beyond shooting aliens, you tend to surprise yourself at the depth that is there.
The story itself goes along with how it's presented, Halo could have the deepest and most intriguing story ever written but if it isn't implemented or effectively told in the game I'm not going to care...

Everything has it's flaws, but it's rather childish to simply dismiss a game
based on a few story/combat overlaps.
I've never dismissed any of the games I've given them all a chance to blow me away but they have yet to do so...
also the lack of innovation in the design and the story have been my biggest turn offs...

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
This game is gonna be good. Tbh there aint any game that can ever be a perfect 100%, 10/10. Every game has its flaws, I guess this one is good enough to be classed as a 10/10. But we all know it aint. The more they put into a game, the more likely it will have flawsm, see my logic?

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Sacman said:
also the lack of innovation in the design and the story have been my biggest turn offs...
These days, yeah alright. Halo:CE was massively innovative though.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Treefingers said:
Sacman said:
but massively innovative and good are 2 different words... Total Distortion was completely original, ambitious and innovative but let's be honest that game was shite on a trife...

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Evil_Weevil said:
EDIT: owing to some people getting confused I would like to point out that this review is to be found on the IGN UK website. The USA and AUS versions awarded it 9.5 and 9.0 respectively.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1119630p1.html

Halo Reach: 10/10 according to IGN, but one line caught my eye. I've included the surrounding paragraphs to give some ccontext:

The new features are well woven into a campaign that stands as one of Halo's best. Taking place near exclusively on the surface of Reach, it plays its action straighter than its predecessors. There's a fatalistic air handing over the story of Noble team, something that's told through to the muted palette of the planet itself. It's a more human place than Halo has been before, with artefacts of its civilisation strewn throughout the game, and it's host to a more human story as well.

Not that it's a particularly great one. While it's certainly more direct than the incoherent tangle of lore that was Halo 3 it's no more engaging. Noble 6, the campaign's lead, is a blank slate ? no doubt to accommodate the customisable armour that can be kitted out in exchange for credits earned across the game ? but the rest of Noble team are little better than a grab-bag of clichés, and while the inevitable tragedy that awaits Reach threatens to be affecting, it's ultimately sci-fi pulp that takes itself too seriously. The real concern is that some of the colourful vistas of Halos past have been sacrificed to serve this more po-faced tale as the skyboxes are darkened by the thrum of war, but it's still a more vibrant world than many of its peers.

But if you're playing Halo for a well-told story you're frankly in the wrong place, and there's much more to enjoy here besides. Through the nine or so hours that it'll take to crack the campaign on Heroic (a number that won't be dented by playing with partners, as the difficulty now scales up in co-op) there's an amazing array of set-pieces, and if Bungie is perhaps a little too keen on aping the highlights of its last nine years it does at least seem determined to bring its experience to make them shine like never before.

So... what have we learnt?

1. That Halo Reach is basically the most polished version of a well respected series
2. The plot is little more that "sci-fi pulp"

BUT most importantly

3. That point 2 is irrelevant because its Halo. Uhuh...

So what IGN is saying by giving a perfect 10 is that mediocrity can be celebrated; That the below par and the slightly cr@ppy are fine, so long as the gameplay is frenetic and fun and made by Bungie.

Now, without having played the game I can't comment on either gameplay or story but what really irked me was the disregard for the complete package. In a sense we have admitted defeat in gameplay writing if it can be relegated as inconsequential. We don't look at films and say "Gee, that film was great! Made no sense but there was explosions and a funny man, and more explosions!" Now I know that films and games are different media forms and that they can't be directly compared. But when will consumers grow some balls and demand more for their money? As far as I can tell, in artistic terms reviewers like IGN create the impression that Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen is better than the Godfather.
Why don't you say this on the forums... At IGN? Whatever. you do realise that IGN is
A- the second most bullshit gaming website around
B- A 10/10 over there doesn't mean perfection, they say as much themselves, But merely a mark of recommendation and
C- It's not actual mediocrity as you claim it by their terms, but a mere imperfection in one part of the game.
I would also argue that game play is the most important part of games and that story is only the third most important? Which by this review the game excels at. Not that i would know(haven't played the game)
plus transformer sucked. We can agree their i think.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Treefingers said:
Sacman said:
actually let me rephrase that... how was Halo:CE massively innovative the only things I can think of it did different from other shooters was... off hand nades and a melee button... other than that I can't think of much... than again I am a PC gamer so maybe it did something for consoles that went over my head... please enlighten me...

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Think of it like this:
You are in love with a girl. On a logical plane you know that she isn't perfect (but then again-who is?), although on an emotional plane, she definitely is to you. And you love her way too much to not give her a perfect rating.

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
This takes me back to the day when EGM gave Metroid Prime the first perfect 10 it had ever given ever, then later it gave 10s to the Halo games. Is that to say that Halo(any of them) are equally awesome as Metroid Prime?

May 25, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
While I find Halo's storyline to be a good one, I think it's perfectly reasonable to not include storyline in the rating of certain games. I'm a fighting game nut and I find this all the time. There are definitely certain games that you don't go to if you want a deep fulfilling storyline.
Even so, you shouldn't call that particular game "perfect". You can say "The story isn't anything special, but it doesn't matter because the gameplay is great" but you still shouldn't say it's perfect. Just say it's a great game. People aren't gonna be mad if Reach didn't get perfect scores all over the place.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
So they said my reasons for hating Halo are perfeclty justified and that my clinging to Halo 1 is ok?

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
If they gave it a ten they obviously enjoyed the game, not stop getting in a fit and go make up your own mind about it.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
IGN rarely makes sense. Halo Reach I would say is probably a 8-9 game. If a story isn't up to scratch it usually brings down a score, but even then numbers are irrelevant because its up to a personaly experience to determine a game's worth. (Wow...sounded like Yahtzee then...)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Has anyone here actually played it?

Then shut up.
Man, i really need to stop looking at forums when im drinking, my computer hates showers.

And regardless, Halo is Fun, if it's fun, i play it, story is not everything for most people, (Hence I'm lost with Prototype, and i can't even contemplate Just Cause 2 at the moment But hey! they are FUN!)

I'm not going to trust IGN, I know Halo: Reach will have a good story, Bungie even said it sets the player up for Halo 1, which I've been waiting for since i first played Halo.

Bad or Good, people will love it and it will be the game that sells the most on 360 this year, Simply because of one word, HALO. The review by IGNorance changes nothing.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Any critic that ever rates any game as a 10/10, 100, 100% or what have you immediately loses all credibility in my book. I have never played a single game that I didn't have a single complaint about. Even my favorite games of all time would barely reach the 9.5 mark if I was assigning mostly arbitrary number scores to them.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
Or maybe, oh, I don't know; Maybe their juding the game based on it's Gameplay.

Seriously, they said that the story is still at least competent.
If you want a masterpiece of a story go read a book or watch a film.
so games aren't supposed to have a good story now? I know the standards are pretty low for games but come on we can have some expectations...

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sacman said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Or maybe, oh, I don't know; Maybe their juding the game based on it's Gameplay.

Seriously, they said that the story is still at least competent.
If you want a masterpiece of a story go read a book or watch a film.
so games aren't supposed to have a good story now? I know the standards are pretty low for games but come on we can have some expectations...
Considering that most of the games considered to be masterpieces have little or no story and rely almost completely on their gameplay, it's hardly a new development.