Halo Wars 2 Officially Announced For Xbox One, Windows 10

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Halo Wars 2 Officially Announced For Xbox One, Windows 10

It has been a long time coming, but Microsoft finally has revealed Halo Wars 2 for Xbox One and Windows 10 at the end of its GamesCom 2015 press conference. The announcement, which came in the form of a teaser trailer, shows 343 Industries and Creative Assembly involved in development and a planned Fall 2016 release.

Microsoft has been hinting at a sequel to the popular Halo Wars, the real-time strategy game released in 2009 by Ensemble Studios as an Xbox 360 exclusive. With Ensemble gone, Creative Assembly seems a logical choice, given its strategy pedigree with the Total War series.

Not much else was said about the game, but feel free to speculate on the trailer. The original, which averages an 82 on Metacritic, was pretty popular and had spawned a petition [https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-release-halo-wars-sequel] for a sequel.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Well, its Halo I guess...

I think this is a bad game to release on PC and console since an RTS to work well on console has to work a bit differently (Ruse was great but then you have Wargame where its basicly "what if Ruse was made just for PC").

It can still be good, no doubt that it will probably be a fun game (and its cool to have some support for the PC, Gears of War UE is also coming out on PC, right?) but a good choice would have been the obvious MCC.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i liked the first one well i guess unless i upgrade or buy a xbox one i won't be playing this one

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
Tony2077 said:
i liked the first one well i guess unless i upgrade or buy a xbox one i won't be playing this one
You are aware this game is coming out on both the xbone and pc, right? You don't need to buy an new console to play it.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
EffectiveKill said:
Tony2077 said:
You are aware this game is coming out on both the xbone and pc, right? You don't need to buy an new console to play it.
i was just saying if i got windows 10 or an xbox one i won't be playing it

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Now I want the series to go to Halo Wars 3, then the end of the title logo would look like "ARS3".

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is the perfect example of how much Microsoft cares about PC as a gaming platform. They know that console gamers aren't really into strategy, so they have to make it for the PC as well because no one will buy an Xbone just to play this. And then they'll use this as some kind of evidence that they care about the PC. But god forbid that they actually release HALO 5 for the PC.

It will be shit on PC. There's no fuckin' way in a million years that a strategy game that can be played on a console can be complex and interesting enough on the PC. And why should PC gamers even care? It's not like HALO is a big name among the PC crowd.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
And here I am still waiting for a PC release of the first one. I tried it on console and holy fuck RTS should never be on consoles!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Silentpony said:
And here I am still waiting for a PC release of the first one. I tried it on console and holy fuck RTS should never be on consoles!
I'm still waiting for a PC release of Halo 3. Gotta finish that fight first.

Or even just that Halo CE Anniversary where they remastered everything with sweet new graphics.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
This is a perfect example of how much Microsoft cares about PC as a gaming platform. They know that console gamers aren't really into strategy, so they have to make it for the PC as well because no one will buy an Xbone just to play this. And then they'll use this as some kind of evidence that they care about the PC. But god forbid that they actually release HALO 5 for the PC.

It will be shit on PC. There's no fuckin' way in a million years that a strategy game that can be played on a console can be complex and interesting enough on the PC. And why should PC gamers even care? It's not like HALO is a big name among the PC crowd.
Given its history, I would suspect that Creative Assembly will tackle the PC/Windows 10 version of the game. 343 may do the port to Xbox One, but that is pure speculation.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hero in a half shell said:
Silentpony said:

Or even just that Halo CE Anniversary where they remastered everything with sweet new graphics.
Its funny. According to my 360, I've played like 30+ hours on Halo 3 and unlocked a shit load of achievements. Even beat the game on Elite, apparently.
I remember NONE of is. Absolutely nothing what so ever.
Just thought I'd let you know what to expect, at least from my experience.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, which poor sap of a developer has been given the kiss of death this time?

Did they at least get it into the contract that Microsoft won't close until after release day? I hope they did, being shuttered a few months before release would be just awful, you'd have to be stupendously evil to do that to someone.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Neat! I really liked Halo Wars, it was a interesting and different (if somewhat basic) take on the RTS genre.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Goddamn this excites me. I loved the first Halo Wars game, and I was always super interested to see what was going to happen afterwards, but after Microsoft decided to put Ensamble down, I never thought that Halo Wars 2 was going to be a thing.

Seeing the "Windows 10" part at the end made me clap in excitement, too.

Oooohohoho, fuck Halo 5, this is where it is at.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I'm pretty excited about this. It should be good! Good original(needed some polish) and damned good studio(although owned by sega but they seem to be working hard regain some reputation lately).

Creative Assembly are one of my favorite studios for stratagy games and then they did Alien Isolation... these boys(and hopefully girls) know how to make damned good games! This should be good along with Warhammer: Total War(RIP Fantasy) which may make up for the war(gaming) crime Age of Sigmar with some actualy stratagy being involved.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:

We're close to stable Xbox 360 emulation. Halo will be on PC whether Microsoft likes it or not.

The only question is whether Microsoft receives money for it, or PC gamers play it on emulator, likely for free.

Dumbasses.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Asclepion said:
We're close to stable Xbox 360 emulation. Halo will be on PC whether Microsoft likes it or not.
How close are we talking about here? Years, or months?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Well, I am surely buying this!.. after PC releases of Halo Master Chief Collection, 4, 5, ODST and Halo Wars 1 on PC of course.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I freaking love Halo Wars, and I am now leaking joy because my mortal form cannot contain this much of it.

And the Brute Chieftain is actually making an appearance, and the SPARTANs are getting killed which is sweet, sweet revenge for that bullshit they did in the last game's penultimate mission. I'd rather the Spirit of Fire not be a thing again, but so long as 343's claws of evil are not too damaging to the game I can't wait to see what they do to the much-flawed gameplay.

Fuck Halo 5, there might still be hope for this franchise, even if just a tiny bit.