Halo Wars Demo

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
awsome117 said:
Again, i will state the whole point of making the game was to make a good RTS for the consol with no pc port or anything releated to the pc.
Let me try and make a metaphor for this. Lets say I like Reese's* because I enjoy the chocolate with the added element of peanut butter. Now lets say I hate a standard Hersey's plain chocolate bar because it lakes peanut butter. Not terrible, but not as good as it could be. If Hersey's sent a PR person to my house and said "We are sorry for your disinterest in our product, but we were trying to create a chocolate bar meant to be eaten without peanut butter," that is like saying "Will you please lower your expectaions because we were to busy/lazy/whatever to make a version with peanut butter."

*Pretend Reese's is made by a different company.

Just because it was built for consoles does not mean it gets a free ride by lowering my standards. It has to live up to the same standards as a PC RTS. If it does not, fine. The company will just not receive my money. But if the company begs me to lower my standards, they lose both my money and respect.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Gamer137 said:
awsome117 said:
Again, i will state the whole point of making the game was to make a good RTS for the consol with no pc port or anything releated to the pc.
Let me try and make a metaphor for this. Lets say I like Reese's* because I enjoy the chocolate with the added element of peanut butter. Now lets say I hate a standard Hersey's plain choclate bar because it lakes peanut butter. Not terrible, but not as good as it could be. If Hersey's sent a PR person to my house and said "We are sorry for your disinteest in our product, but we were trying to create a chocolate bar meant to be eaten without peanut butter," that is like saying "Will you please lower your expectaions because we were to busy/lazy/whatever to make a version with peanut butter."

*Pretend Reese's is made by a different company.

Just because it was built for consoles does not mean it gets a free ride by lowering my standards. It has to live up to the same standards as a PC RTS. If it does not, fine. The company will just not receive my money. But if the company begs me to lower my standards, they lose both my money and respect.
dont think of it as "pretent reese's", think of it as "new reese's" its like the white chocolate reese's. it was different and had a different style to it. To me, it had a terrible taste, but to others, it tasted good. it didnt make me lower my standards for other reese's, i just personally didnt like it.

that was my food metaphor, and now i am hungry...

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
awsome117 said:
dont think of it as "pretent reese's", think of it as "new reese's" its like the white chocolate reese's. it was different and had a different style to it. To me, it had a terrible taste, but to others, it tasted good. it didnt make me lower my standards for other reese's, i just personally didnt like it.

My mistake. I was not trying to say Reese's had a version called "Pretend Reese's." I was just saying that Reese's and Hersey Bars are both made by the Hersey Corporation in reality and my methaphor requiered that they be seperate.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
blinkgun96 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?
Yes, and it's been pointed out to me before. But Bungie owns the IP. Microsoft may pull their strings, Ensemble may be making Halo Wars, but Halo is Bungie's product.
I would just like to point out for all to hear that Halo was originally planned to be an RTS
Nobody ever remembers that fact at all.
Thats because it is an irrelevance. Jaws was originally meant to show the shark far more, and have it as a gory action movie rather than building suspense so masterfully. However, the machine kept breaking, so the it became a suspenseful classic. It is still a suspenseful classic, and does not work as an action movie.
...Ok I'm going to have to see a source on that.
Not the most reliable source, I'm aware, but there's no reason for them to lie.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16940_6-classic-movies-that-narrowly-avoided-disaster.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)#Production
I fail to see the words "gory action movie" anywhere in there. I was already aware of the script being rewritten and the technical problems resulting in a far better film. So I think we're at an impasse.

Except for one thing

Since Halo Wars is an RTS we can consider it ultimately a return to the initial roots of Halo the game (when it was just an RTS using the Myth engine). Granted it wouldn't have shown up on the Xbox though...or maybe it would have, who can say.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Gamer137 said:
awsome117 said:

My mistake. I was not trying to say Reese's had a version called "Pretend Reese's." I was just saying that Reese's and Hersey Bars are both made by the Hersey Corporation in reality and my methaphor requiered that they be seperate.
ah... well, im still hungry :p

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Well the demo was well GREAT for the most part so far but I was upset because they were going to make a pc version but I guess decided that the console would be better to make it on you know because the controls are definitely better than pc.....

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
blinkgun96 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?
Yes, and it's been pointed out to me before. But Bungie owns the IP. Microsoft may pull their strings, Ensemble may be making Halo Wars, but Halo is Bungie's product.
I would just like to point out for all to hear that Halo was originally planned to be an RTS
Thats because it is an irrelevance. Jaws was originally meant to show the shark far more, and have it as a gory action movie rather than building suspense so masterfully. However, the machine kept breaking, so the it became a suspenseful classic. It is still a suspenseful classic, and does not work as an action movie.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16940_6-classic-movies-that-narrowly-avoided-disaster.html

I fail to see the words "gory action movie" anywhere in there. I was already aware of the script being rewritten and the technical problems resulting in a far better film. So I think we're at an impasse.

Except for one thing

Since Halo Wars is an RTS we can consider it ultimately a return to the initial roots of Halo the game (when it was just an RTS using the Myth engine). Granted it wouldn't have shown up on the Xbox though...or maybe it would have, who can say.
Like I said, its an irrelvance because what Halo has become is completely different to what it could have been once.
Not really, the general idea is the same. The genre just changed and came full circle.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Well, If you persist in going back to Halo's roots, you have to consider Marathon, which was one of those early sprite-based FPS. Then it was a Mac/PC RTS, then a (Mac only, if memory serves) third person shooter, then moved to Xbox development to become the game we know and love. And now it's an RTS, and potentially a tactical shooter (sure...). Now we just need a mmorpg and a flight/space sim to pretty much cover all the potential bases.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
AceDiamond said:
blinkgun96 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:

Except for one thing

Like I said, its an irrelvance because what Halo has become is completely different to what it could have been once.
Not really, the general idea is the same. The genre just changed and came full circle.
But then we need to establish the idea of what actually measures where the idea begins and ends in terms of what the gameplay implies and requires within the universe itself.

And I should probably point out, to the whole "idea" thing? Starcraft.
Yeah except Total Annihilation was released first, and really, isn't that what's most important? ;)

Actually I doubt you'll remember your gaffe that prompts my inside joke there, so I'll continue.

Starcraft: Ghost is never coming out. So I don't know what it has to do with anything. Actually this is misleading because I'm just further making a tangent to yours.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I'm not seeing why people are so angry over it not coming to the PC. Regardless of whether it'll sucks or not, if it's built from the ground-up for the console, a port of it will most likely not be terribly good. Halo and Halo 2 on the PC? Pretty crap ports.

No money wasted and you'll probably have money to blow on better games like DOW2 and/or Perimeter 2. We have already have some RTSs coming. Not seeing the problem there.

Haven't tried the demo yet but should soon. I'm not terribly excited but I'm willing to give it a fair shake.

And the idea that developers shouldn't explore their universes from a completely different point of view still puzzles me.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I thought it was pretty good. I would have liked to be able to zoom in more, but then again I am playing on an relatively small, low-def tv at the moment. So I'm sure it looks sweet in 1080p.

Controls take about ten or fifteen minutes to get used to. After that it's no problem.

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
My Xbox is downloading as we type. Taking quite a long time though, big file it seems. I've always liked RTS games, so hopefully this will live up to standard.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Gotta say the cinematics are really nice. Gameplay looks a bit cartooney though.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
In the cont4ext with this game already out, what was this "idea" of Halos?
Please. Now that is irrelevant. The only thing people have been saying here is that a Halo RTS is not such a dumb idea after all since the game was originally supposed to be one. There's really nothing more to read into it than "Bungie had an idea to make a scifi version of Myth and then changed their minds about it".

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse!
Try turning up the cursor stickiness.

Indigo_Dingo said:
Ok, what the hell are you talking about? I'm not mentioning Starcraft Ghost, I'm talking about the game Starcraft, the RTS that shows an eternal struggle between three factions, one highly futuristic, one human, and one totally organic. In the cont4ext with this game already out, what was this "idea" of Halos?
I believe that the idea is the Halo universe.

There's no need to mention StarCraft, when boiled down to the most basic premise they are indeed similar but add a just a few details and they become quite different. For example, the Protoss are definitely "good" while the Covenant is definitely "evil." The Flood use technology while the Zerg just infest and mutate creatures for their own needs.