Halo Wars Demo

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
D_987 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
This game was the last nail in the coffin for my relationship with Bungie. Halo2 being Vista Exclusive was enough of a pissoff, but having Halo Wars not launching on PC, that pisses me off. It's everything I love of Halo, put into my favorite genre, RTS. I'd knife my own brother for this game if it were on PC. But Bungie has nothing but contempt for PC gamers, so fuck em.
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?

now that you say that it gives me alot more hope for the game,knowing some expience in the
genre is present also learning its not for PC is laughable,they really messed up here,considering consoles tend to give a more natural feel at shooters(at least for even doe I play more PC shooters)whereas the PC gives me more of a "god" feeling as if this is what you would really use to control whatever it is that is to be controled,and thus a more natural feel for me and via this system of "feel" is how I dicide what game o buy on what(Left 4 dead was PC until I learned it could'nt run it,lack of money sucks)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
This game was the last nail in the coffin for my relationship with Bungie. Halo2 being Vista Exclusive was enough of a pissoff, but having Halo Wars not launching on PC, that pisses me off. It's everything I love of Halo, put into my favorite genre, RTS. I'd knife my own brother for this game if it were on PC. But Bungie has nothing but contempt for PC gamers, so fuck em.
Don't worry, we have better games. Ones we can truly control using the mouse, which kinda IS better to aim, move around the screen and so on.

*imagines an awesome RTS played with an Xbox Pad... can't.*

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?
Yes, and it's been pointed out to me before. But Bungie owns the IP. Microsoft may pull their strings, Ensemble may be making Halo Wars, but Halo is Bungie's product.
Actually Microsoft owns the IP...

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Asehujiko said:
It has to be a very good game to justify Ensemble Studios being dismantled over it. As i have no working x360 at the moment i won't make any statements over the actual gameplay yet but the trailers left me severely uninpressed.

On a scale of 1-10, id rate it a 2 for hogging the spot of AOE IV and V in advance.
I don't think it will hog AOE IV and V at all. I think those will sell on their own merits. They grew up on PC and I don't think the PC market will let them down.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
don't get angry at Ensemble they're one of my favourite studios and the only reason its not out for p.c is that microsoft wants to boost 360 sales, this = more 360 games less pc games.

At least thats how I heard it

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I'll give it a shot tonight, but I'm skeptical about the controls.
The only RTS controls I ever liked on a console was the EndWar controls.
Everything else has been TERRIBLE.

But I'll try it!
I thought the Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 controls were ok.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Donbett1974 said:
Man its good I'm gonna pre-order mine today. But the elephant is crap.
Yep, just buy a lot of warthogs, or get a Spartan to steal the enemies stronger machines.

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
iain62a said:
Baby Tea said:
I'll give it a shot tonight, but I'm skeptical about the controls.
The only RTS controls I ever liked on a console was the EndWar controls.
Everything else has been TERRIBLE.

But I'll try it!
I thought the Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2 controls were ok.
My first experience with RTSs was actually the first generation of Command and Conquer games on the PS1. I had no problem using a controller then, and I doubt I will now.

The demo is 80% downloaded, shouldn't be too long now. =]

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Woah.

As many have said, Halo Wars is a product of Ensemble. The only collaboration with Bungie has been story information and access to assets like models and sounds.

You might want to blame Hired Gun for Halo 2 being both only for Vista and also a poor port in general. I wouldn't as they've been disbanded.

Just as there are PC focused companies (such as Valve and Blizzard) there are console focused companies (such as Bungie and Insomniac). It's not a matter of contempt, it's a matter of priorities.

Before the project that is Halo Wars was even associated in the slightest with the Halo IP Ensemble was endeavoring to create a good console RTS. That's the whole point of Halo Wars, to be a good console RTS (well, make money too). Releasing it on PC is not conducive to that goal.

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
Something caught my eye on the website:

"2 - 6 online multiplayer"
"1 - 2 online co-op"

Online co-op for an RTS? Sounds like a rather cool prospect. Multiplayer is a big asset for most RTSs; it'd be a strong reason for me actually buying Halo Wars.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I just got home and I am totally downloading it. I'm really looking forward to it. Having read the novels, I know that there's a ton of awesome story they could explore.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Hmm, I have to check that out. It's not rated M is it? Because if it is the damn thing won't let me download it and I'll have to write Microsoft a letter saying that they can't charge me full price for an Xbox Live Gold membership, then restrict me from using certain features of it. If child accounts can access less features they should also cost less. I know, this is the wrong thread but I just thought of it now. Makes me really want to email them, though no one will probably read it.

Leviathan902

Dec 18, 2008
I have this queued up for download when i get home. I'm very encouraged by all the positive respones I've seen around the web though. I haven't heard anyone says it sucks yet, mostly they're shocked by how good/fun it is.

The other interesting thing is that most people who have responded say they don't typically play RTS games or never have. I wonder if MS's goal of expanding the halo empire will succeed after all?

I personally LOVE RTS games, have ever since Warcraft 2. I don't have a gaming PC so all of them recently have been played on 360. I found Red Alert 3's controls to be fan-freakin-tastic

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
1.4 GB? Awwww... I've only got 1.3 GB left on my HDD. And I don't have the money to buy a 120 GB one. I was really looking forward to this as well. Can't say I was excited by the prospect of a console RTS but I still wanted to try it out.

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
I played it; first impressions are good. Seems like it could be a fun multiplayer game, depending on the type of community that's formed around it.