Halo Wars Demo

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
D_987 said:
Asehujiko said:
It has to be a very good game to justify Ensemble Studios being dismantled over it. As i have no working x360 at the moment i won't make any statements over the actual gameplay yet but the trailers left me severely uninpressed.

On a scale of 1-10, id rate it a 2 for hogging the spot of AOE IV and V in advance.
How can you possibly score a game your yet to play...?
I explained that in the post you quoted.

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
Trivun said:
Will a demo be released on the internet at all (probably not Steam, but anywhere else)? I don't have Xbox Live (since my university won't let me onnect the Xbox to their internet connection in Halls of Residence, thanks very much), so I can't play it until the official release unless it's on the internet for Windows instead.
I'm not trying to start anything, but Halo Wars is not coming out for GfW

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
D_987 said:
...Has been released today, has anyone tried it?

Personally I thought it was fantastic. I'm not a big RTS fan ,in fact besides Advance Wars (and that wasn't real-time) I haven't played any, so it was nice to find an RTS I can play.
The controls wok very well for a console-based RTS, the graphics are great and the storyline looks interesting - glad to see Ensemble go out on a high.

I will be buying this on launch day.

[If you have Live Gold, you can queue it up for download next time you log in here [http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d530808/] - Virgil]
No PC demo? I've heard it's a masterpiece of console RTS's and all but I'd still rather play it on PC if it's availible

EDIT:

curlycrouton said:
Apologies for the rant, but which phenomenal retard decided that this game won't be released on PC? They clearly haven't thought this through.

They're releasing a strategy game exclusively on consoles?! Could this be the worst decision by Ensemble ever? If this was released on the PC I know I'd buy it straight away. The PC is where the overwhelming majority of strategy game sales are made, surely Ensemble know that?

Think about it, is your average Gears of War player going to want to buy Halo Wars? Of course not, they're going to want simplicity, fighting and explosions.

Ensemble, I hate you.
Seriously? Wow... =(

I guess they're fore-going selling more copies and satisfying more customers to try to get convince people to play RTS games on a console. While I think CurlyCrouton comes on a bit strong, he's right: it's a stupid move.

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?
Yes, and it's been pointed out to me before. But Bungie owns the IP. Microsoft may pull their strings, Ensemble may be making Halo Wars, but Halo is Bungie's product.
I would just like to point out for all to hear that Halo was originally planned to be an RTS

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
ok,so I downloaded it and had a brief play(tutorial and a skirmish match on easy)there wasnt anything ground breaking,seemed like a pretty generic RTS havent played both races yet so I can't give major detail so far seems pretty balanced,no major biaism I noticed(yet)and after playing it a bit more,I may pop a review in.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
1.4 GB? Awwww... I've only got 1.3 GB left on my HDD. And I don't have the money to buy a 120 GB one. I was really looking forward to this as well. Can't say I was excited by the prospect of a console RTS but I still wanted to try it out.
No offense man, but are you stupid? Delete something. Or store something somewhere else. I had to live with a 20GB hard drive for years, and so can you.

And stop taking up forum space complaining uselessly about your hard drive space.

And don't respond with "But I can't/don't want to delete..." because I sincerely doubt anyone here cares, and you're just doing it for attention.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Asehujiko said:
D_987 said:
Asehujiko said:
It has to be a very good game to justify Ensemble Studios being dismantled over it. As i have no working x360 at the moment i won't make any statements over the actual gameplay yet but the trailers left me severely uninpressed.

On a scale of 1-10, id rate it a 2 for hogging the spot of AOE IV and V in advance.
How can you possibly score a game your yet to play...?
I explained that in the post you quoted.
"hogging the spot of AOE IV and V in advance."

Thats just a cry for attention...who cares how well games sell; its if you enjoy them thats important.

ultimatechance

Dec 24, 2008
curlycrouton said:
Apologies for the rant, but which phenomenal retard decided that this game won't be released on PC? They clearly haven't thought this through.

They're releasing a strategy game exclusively on consoles?! Could this be the worst decision by Ensemble ever? If this was released on the PC I know I'd buy it straight away. The PC is where the overwhelming majority of strategy game sales are made, surely Ensemble know that?

Think about it, is your average Gears of War player going to want to buy Halo Wars? Of course not, they're going to want simplicity, fighting and explosions.

Ensemble, I hate you.
I like battle fore middle earth 2, as well as C&C 3 and RA3. Not as good as PC versions, but you cant say that we really dont like them.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
Just finished playing through the tutorials and the two campaign missions and I am rather impressed by the interface, it is simpler than most but without the feeling that it has been dumbed down. The camera works well and being able to switch between your base and combat with the D-Pad is a great tool.

The Base system with pads that you use to bring up additional buildings makes managing your base more manageable than in previous attempts at console RTS' and the combat works seemlessly as well.

I also am loving that there is going to be online co-op as well as a versus mode, definitely a big selling point with me.

All and all, the demo turned me from a skeptic to a believer.

Oh yeah and...
Possibility of playing as the flood in multiplayer??? Talking about that one shot of what looked like a flood base

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Lancer723 said:
Oh yeah and...
Possibility of playing as the flood in multiplayer??? Talking about that one shot of what looked like a flood base
I also like the fact that the game plays differently depending on your leader. And yes, that does sound great.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Undeadpope said:
I may pop a review in.
Please don't...I for one utterly despise any "first impressions" or demo reviews. For one you will not have gained sufficient detail into the game in order to review it.

Bowstring

May 30, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Bowstring said:
Something caught my eye on the website:

"2 - 6 online multiplayer"
"1 - 2 online co-op"

Online co-op for an RTS? Sounds like a rather cool prospect. Multiplayer is a big asset for most RTSs; it'd be a strong reason for me actually buying Halo Wars.
Online co-op already happened with Red Alert 3 though, didn't it? Was there any RTS that was earlier then that?
Ahh it may have been a feature in earlier RTS games. I just haven't bought any in recent times, so I'm a little ignorant on the matter.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
blinkgun96 said:
Khell_Sennet said:
D_987 said:
You do realise that this game was not made by Bungie - it was made by Ensemble, right?
Yes, and it's been pointed out to me before. But Bungie owns the IP. Microsoft may pull their strings, Ensemble may be making Halo Wars, but Halo is Bungie's product.
I would just like to point out for all to hear that Halo was originally planned to be an RTS
Nobody ever remembers that fact at all.

Also I love how everyone automatically assumes only people who play Gears of War own a 360. That is not how it works, clearly.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
AceDiamond said:
blinkgun96 said:
Nobody ever remembers that fact at all.
Actually I did know that fact =)

Cookie?

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
edited:yes,I misquoted

D_987 said:
Undeadpope said:
I may pop a review in.
Please don't...I for one utterly despise any "first impressions" or demo reviews. For one you will not have gained sufficient detail into the game in order to review it.
not what I meant but save any more confusion or what no just forget I said it,I ll be posting more detailed comments on the game soonish on this tread,not reviewm length just a few insights

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Undeadpope said:
D_987 said:
Lancer723 said:
Oh yeah and...
I also like the fact that the game plays differently depending on your leader. And yes, that does sound great.
ok than I won't,but I thought that this demo is literally a demo as in a little slice of the game,not some what like what it will be
I think you got thewrong quote; and whilst that maybe so, you have played the start of one mission; thats not enough for a review - at least get the full game if you want to review it.