Halo Wars Demo

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
I've been playing the demo for the past 3 and a half hours and I love it. I don't really like being the UNSC so I've just been playing as the Covenant. Right now, I've got 2 Scarabs, the Prophet of Regret, and 8 Forerunner constructors to repair my scarabs and regret's throne. I had another game where I had hundreds of grunts, another one where I had 60+ hunters (30+ bond brothers), and I tried another one where I got all Banshees. It's fun to just mess around on the normal difficulty and try out units. This is the first RTS to actually work on consoles, I'm actually quite amazed. It started out kind of hard, but I got used to the sensitivity of the controls and now I don't have any problem with it. Best console RTS ever.

TOFUM4ST3R

Nov 11, 2008
So the general consensus is: "Halo Wars is good?" I will have to try it out once the demo becomes available to Silver members.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
TOFUM4ST3R said:
So the general consensus is: "Halo Wars is good?" I will have to try it out once the demo becomes available to Silver members.
Yes thats the general consensus; and I didn't know demo's were made avaliable to silver members?

Sweep117

Jan 27, 2009
Yes. Halo Wars was good. Not great, but good. The controls were better than I expected. Using a joystick to control the cursor across the screen does not begin to compare with a mouse in your hand but it works well enough. I find I have to tone the speed down so it's humanly possible to stop on a specific unit but it's cool.

Aside from the controls, which, it seems, is the only real complaint people have had, it's fantastic. Any Halo fan who also enjoys RTSs(namely, me) will love it. The levels are well constructed and the various units/unit options are pretty well rounded.

One thing I really don't like about it is the lack of the ability to form my own units. For example, in AoE, I could make a unit of twenty infantry and assign it to the #2 key, make a unit of cavalry and assign it to the #3 key, and so on... The "Select All Units" and "Select Local Units" options get annoying. If I post some Marines to guard my main base, I don't want them to trudge across half the map to help take out a few Grunts when I have a Warthog or two much closer. I think that if they had given a trigger the same use as the CTRL key when selecting files on a computer, if could've helped out a lot.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
after some more play time I can say for sure that it reminds me of Battle for middle earth(the first one)
balance seems to be ok,nothing massively obvious and I think for any game which has online play is an important part(however it is needed to an extent in single player too)Controls which seemed to be everyones doubt is just fine,but I still I think the PC would give it a more natural feel and versatile controls.the AI are a bit annoying,not for difficulty but for lack of ability to differ threat levels
example: when AI attacked my base I was off capturing a neutral base,but when I got back to my main to defend in they countined to attack my barracks even with my marines/flamethrowers blasting/flaming them.They favored the building,with more health and no attack over some marines which would be a far better target considering destorying the barracks would do nothing but cost me very little resource to rebuild and killing my marines(alot easier to kill as well and so less damage thus more time before the uint died)would be more a dent in my pocket than the barracks and would be a far more effect form of attack,and so I got some really easy kills(this was on Normal which I would expect not to have to go to the highest difficulty just so the AI can differ between targets that are the easist the kill and the most danger and targets that hase some of the highest health in the game,presuming some of the highest amour and no attack damage)

but as for the final word,its an RTS thats about it,its not greatly unique,its decent if you like RTSs I don't see why you would'nt like this one.

Kuweekee

Jun 18, 2008
Sweep117 said:
One thing I really don't like about it is the lack of the ability to form my own units. For example, in AoE, I could make a unit of twenty infantry and assign it to the #2 key, make a unit of cavalry and assign it to the #3 key, and so on... The "Select All Units" and "Select Local Units" options get annoying. If I post some Marines to guard my main base, I don't want them to trudge across half the map to help take out a few Grunts when I have a Warthog or two much closer. I think that if they had given a trigger the same use as the CTRL key when selecting files on a computer, if could've helped out a lot.
If you hold your cursor over a unit and you doubletap the A button, you will get all the units of that type, so that wasn't really an issue for me.

The only thing that I had a problem with control wise was the circle to select units, it's not big enough and when you want to enlarge it you have to move your screen. But that could also be because I'm used to dragging around the units to select them.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
KeithA45 said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
1.4 GB? Awwww... I've only got 1.3 GB left on my HDD. And I don't have the money to buy a 120 GB one. I was really looking forward to this as well. Can't say I was excited by the prospect of a console RTS but I still wanted to try it out.
No offense man, but are you stupid? Delete something. Or store something somewhere else. I had to live with a 20GB hard drive for years, and so can you.

And stop taking up forum space complaining uselessly about your hard drive space.

And don't respond with "But I can't/don't want to delete..." because I sincerely doubt anyone here cares, and you're just doing it for attention.
Actually I freed up some space by deleting all the junk Microsoft had on there by default. You didn't have to be so hostile about it either :/ Why would I want to do it for attention anyway?

But yeah, to get back on topic, I did download the demo this afternoon and I enjoyed it. It surprised me on how simple the controls were to use.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
KeithA45 said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
1.4 GB? Awwww... I've only got 1.3 GB left on my HDD. And I don't have the money to buy a 120 GB one. I was really looking forward to this as well. Can't say I was excited by the prospect of a console RTS but I still wanted to try it out.
No offense man, but are you stupid? Delete something. Or store something somewhere else. I had to live with a 20GB hard drive for years, and so can you.

And stop taking up forum space complaining uselessly about your hard drive space.

And don't respond with "But I can't/don't want to delete..." because I sincerely doubt anyone here cares, and you're just doing it for attention.
Actually I freed up some space by deleting all the junk Microsoft had on there by default. You didn't have to be so hostile about it either :/ Why would I want to do it for attention anyway?

But yeah, to get back on topic, I did download the demo this afternoon and I enjoyed it. It surprised me on how simple the controls were to use.
Sorry, I assumed you were like one of those 14 year old kids who just like to talk about their computer/X-Box on forums all day for no apparent reason and waste everyone's time. I hate people like that. No hard feelings

-bladerunner-

Dec 22, 2008
Played it and it looks great however I am concerned that you only get to play as the UNSC. Will you be able to play as any other factions in the game? This may be it's one weak point as I thought the rest was brilliant.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Pretty fun! I am a big fan of the warthogs taking huge jumps off random bits of debris. The secondary fire mode - which is basically ramming into hapless enemy grunts - is nice too. The fights are graphically impactful and cool to watch, although I agree with other people who said that it didn't seem like they had much to do once the enemy was selected and the broo-ha-ha was underway.

Maybe I just don't know how to micro with a 360 controller...

Anyway, I am about 80% sure I'm going to buy this. Might play the demo a bit more just to make sure.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
-bladerunner- said:
Played it and it looks great however I am concerned that you only get to play as the UNSC. Will you be able to play as any other factions in the game? This may be it's one weak point as I thought the rest was brilliant.
You can also play as the Covernent - try the tutorials, there are a large number of leader with unique suads and powers (see the multiplayer leader selection screen) within these factions.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Downloading it right now

On a side note: To bad Ensemble is gone after this game, I had hopes that an AoE 4 would be announced soon.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
KeithA45 said:
curlycrouton said:
Apologies for the rant, but which phenomenal retard decided that this game won't be released on PC? They clearly haven't thought this through.
Seriously? Wow... =(

I guess they're fore-going selling more copies and satisfying more customers to try to get convince people to play RTS games on a console. While I think CurlyCrouton comes on a bit strong, he's right: it's a stupid move.
No. It's not.

The game was built from the ground up to use the controller and HD/SD TV displays. It was deliberately designed to be a console RTS, to be the RTS version of Goldeneye. Porting it to the PC both defeats that purpose and is probably going to make for an inferior experience for PC players. Besides, there are already so many PC RTS games out there that work just fine... releasing yet another one won't make nearly as big a splash as releasing a dedicated-to-console title.

But of course I doubt that pointing this out will change anyone's mind, because after all random forum posters who may or may not have graduated from high school yet know so much more about software design, UI engineering, and marketing than professionals in the field.

-- Steve

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
D_987 said:
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
Perhaps your not used to a controller?

For someone like me, who has always played games on a console, I found the controls easy to use. Did you edit the options, possibly editing the "stickiness" effect?
Well see, those of us who have always played PC RTS's don't like to have our control removed from us. I don't like the controls personally and I don't see it comparing to PC RTS's; however, they did an excellent job with managing RTS controls on a console, better than previous console RTS's in my opinion. Besides, as people have said above, the game was made for console and PC has enough RTS's.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
As someone who has been playing RTS games since Dune 2, that was quite good. Hopefully it won't go the way of Warcraft III and Starcraft and get taken over by a country full of cybernetic superhumans who cannot be defeated.

out0v0rder

Dec 16, 2008
this is so weird, the few xbox only friends I have used to HATE anything related with RTS. Blah blah its boring. Now they are all excited for a halo rts. I love it.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
OK! So, I played through the tutorial, the two campaign missions, and one skirmish match last night and I'm ready to render my verdict based on what I've played.

It's ok.

Yup, that's it. The game isn't amazing or great, it's just an average RTS that will sell well simply for the fact that it's got the Halo name slapped on it.

I like the way the bases are. It makes you think more about 'what' you should build, rather then 'where'. I like that. No more worrying about space around my base. But the controls were as I expected. Not terrible, but not great either. Gimme a mouse!

My big gripe? It's really REALLY easy. Maybe I should try it on hard (Admittedly, I only played on 'normal'), but normal was crazy easy. I DESTROYED the AI in the skirmish. It wasn't even remotely fair. They had a few units there, but they were walked over with 6 warthogs, 8 infantry, 2 human planes (Forget the name), 4 flamethrower guys, and 3 Spartans. Now, they were all fully upgrade. 100% researched. You know what that means? That means I had the TIME with little need for defense, to sit back, let the money roll in, upgrade everything at my leisure, and then, when I felt like it, walk in and destroy everything without losing a man. That sucks. It shouldn't be that easy.

But whatever. It'll sell well regardless.