Halo Wars Demo

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Asehujiko said:
It has to be a very good game to justify Ensemble Studios being dismantled over it.
I would say the opposite. Why would they dismantle the group unless they're not expecting sales to be very good for it? I think they're not happy with the development, so they're just going to finish it up and then *poof*.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
mspencer82 said:
I just finished playing both tutorial and both campaign missions and I have to say that I'm impressed. I didn't have very high expectations for Halo Wars when it was first announced; the trailers and gameplay videos didn't do much to raise those expectations either. Now I'm ready to buy the full game.

The controls are easy to get used to without feeling dumbed down. Constructing buildings and units is very well planned. The different units are interesting enough, but you can probably play through the campaign demo with just marines and warthogs. Overall, it's a good game.

Unfortunately there will be many people who will hate it because it's a console RTS or because hating on all things Halo is trendy; but it's their loss.
Totally agree with you. There will be trolls out there that're gonna hate on Halo Wars because it has Halo in its name *rolls eyes*. I'm not saying Halo, and everything about it, is crap or godly. As Yahtzee put it, Halo is average.

Strange isn't it? Bashing on Halo does seem trendy. But I bet you it's the PS3 fanboys and the PC gamers that are stewing over it because they cant play it. People usually FFFFF over a game when they can't play it when it's exclusive.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse! I would have bought it if it was a PC game, but everyone who said this game was going to revolutionize the console RTS was only dreaming.
Um no. Compared to every other RTS on console, Halo Wars is a godsens solely because of it's control interface. No, it isn't as good as a mouse, but point and click isn't everything.

I, too, <3 RTS on PC, but Halo Wars and its control system is amazingly simple.

and it WILL revolutionize RTSs on Consoles. All other Console RTSs (That ive played) has hard control systems that did not flow well. Halo Wars will set the example of what a control scheme should be.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Gamer137 said:
I played the tutorials and tried the first level. Gave up when I realised how annoying it was to aim at anything. RTS games do not belong on consoles. You need a frickin' mouse!
Try turning up the cursor stickiness.

Indigo_Dingo said:
Ok, what the hell are you talking about? I'm not mentioning Starcraft Ghost, I'm talking about the game Starcraft, the RTS that shows an eternal struggle between three factions, one highly futuristic, one human, and one totally organic. In the cont4ext with this game already out, what was this "idea" of Halos?
I believe that the idea is the Halo universe.

There's no need to mention StarCraft, when boiled down to the most basic premise they are indeed similar but add a just a few details and they become quite different. For example, the Protoss are definitely "good" while the Covenant is definitely "evil." The Flood use technology while the Zerg just infest and mutate creatures for their own needs.
Well, I wouldn't say the Covenant are "evil". If you pay attention to the story (and have read Contact Harvest), the Covenant were actually tricked into the zealous destruction of the human race by *spoiler block*.

Don't haranque me about adding a spoiler thing. Dont know how.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
-bladerunner- said:
Played it and it looks great however I am concerned that you only get to play as the UNSC. Will you be able to play as any other factions in the game? This may be it's one weak point as I thought the rest was brilliant.
You can play as the Covenant in Skirmish and MP. Maybe even the Flood as well.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
D_987 said:
Anyone pre-ordered? - you might as well get the limited edition which actually looks worth the extra £10. Especially if you play Halo 3.
I'm going to this Thursday with a coupld of friends. Hey, do you know if GameStop is gonna hold a midnight launch?

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
beddo said:
I'm a massive fan of the original Halo. Halo 2 was a bit of a let down, Halo 3, even more so.

In my opinion, the Halo Wars demo is pretty poor. The combat is shallow the units are limited. The Halo aesthetic feels like it's been copied and pasted from Halo 2 especially the main menu and user interface in general. I think it's just a less than mediocre RTS.
>_> and I suppose if they hadn't made Halo Wars look like Halo than you'd be bitching about it not looking like the Halo Universe at all huh?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Trivun said:
Will a demo be released on the internet at all (probably not Steam, but anywhere else)? I don't have Xbox Live (since my university won't let me onnect the Xbox to their internet connection in Halls of Residence, thanks very much), so I can't play it until the official release unless it's on the internet for Windows instead.
No.

Halo Wars isn't being released for PC (Microsoft are total fuckbends) so there won't be a demo on the PC.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
downloaded it, played it, and have since deleted it... i really don't see what the big deal is. admittedly, i don't care about Halo or even RTS games in the first place, but thought i'd check it out due to all hype and rabid fanboys.... can't say that i was all that impressed with it.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
My friend downloaded it and i was watching him play, and it looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to get it

ad3m1

Sep 9, 2008
It actually seemed really bland... not a lot of options- not real strategy besides muscling your opponent. Its a cut and dry RTS like halo is a Cut and Dry FPS... but I suppose thats what people love *rolls eyes*

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ad3m1 said:
It actually seemed really bland... not a lot of options- not real strategy besides muscling your opponent. Its a cut and dry RTS like halo is a Cut and Dry FPS... but I suppose thats what people love *rolls eyes*
Yep, because playing the training level / an easy skirmish against the computer instantly determines whether a multi-player game will require stratgy....

ad3m1

Sep 9, 2008
D_987 said:
ad3m1 said:
Yep, because playing the training level / an easy skirmish against the computer instantly determines whether a multi-player game will require stratgy....

I'm going to assume you're joking and remind you that a "demo" is supposed to be a "DEMOnstration" of the game. I saw no *glimpse* of potential outside of the sniper spots which are easily destroyed and the elephant being rushed in when you *muscle* your opponent back. I'll forgive you on this one- think before you post, please.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
ad3m1 said:
D_987 said:
ad3m1 said:

I'm going to assume you're joking and remind you that a "demo" is supposed to be a "DEMOnstration" of the game. I saw no *glimpse* of potential outside of the sniper spots which are easily destroyed and the elephant being rushed in when you *muscle* your opponent back. I'll forgive you on this one- think before you post, please.
It's AI. Every AI I've ever played against in every RTS just uses brute force, impossibly fast reflexes, and unlimited resources. I've never once seen an AI opponent in an RTS use actual strategy. So no, the skirmishes against the AI do NOT reflect the strategy required to win multiplayer games in any way, shape, or form. It is NOT just brute force. I'll forgive you on this one- think before you post, please.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
ad3m1 said:
D_987 said:
ad3m1 said:

Yes, it is a DEMOnstration, but it doesnt represent the game in it's WHOLE ENTIREty. There's only so much they can fit in a demo without it taking a billion years to DL.

TOO S0BER

Jan 5, 2009
Eipok Kruden said:
ad3m1 said:
D_987 said:
ad3m1 said:

It's AI. Every AI I've ever played against in every RTS just uses brute force, impossibly fast reflexes, and unlimited resources. I've never once seen an AI opponent in an RTS use actual strategy. So no, the skirmishes against the AI do NOT reflect the strategy required to win multiplayer games in any way, shape, or form. It is NOT just brute force. I'll forgive you on this one- think before you post, please.
Well put :)

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
TOO S0BER said:
beddo said:
I'm a massive fan of the original Halo. Halo 2 was a bit of a let down, Halo 3, even more so.

In my opinion, the Halo Wars demo is pretty poor. The combat is shallow the units are limited. The Halo aesthetic feels like it's been copied and pasted from Halo 2 especially the main menu and user interface in general. I think it's just a less than mediocre RTS.
>_> and I suppose if they hadn't made Halo Wars look like Halo than you'd be bitching about it not looking like the Halo Universe at all huh?
No, I don't think that the Halo universe should have been used at all in this title. I wouldn't have complained one bit about another crappy RTS because I wouldn't have given it the time I did.