Halo Wars Demo

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I bet they kept the Zerg for the sequel, all you get is Terrans and Protoss. Er, wait...

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
D_987 said:
Anyone pre-ordered? - you might as well get the limited edition which actually looks worth the extra £10. Especially if you play Halo 3.
Yep. I can't wait for Sandbox. Coolest map ever, I have no idea what I'll forge first. :)
Have you heard about The Crypt? It's a space they placed under Sandbox which can be used as either part of a normal game or as a map in itself. You can block or unblock the entrance; it's essentially a version of Foundry without the side rooms, but with the items from Sandbox available for use.

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
This game was the last nail in the coffin for my relationship with Bungie. Halo2 being Vista Exclusive was enough of a pissoff, but having Halo Wars not launching on PC, that pisses me off. It's everything I love of Halo, put into my favorite genre, RTS. I'd knife my own brother for this game if it were on PC. But Bungie has nothing but contempt for PC gamers, so fuck em.
Ensemble made this, not Bungie. If you have to hate someone then hate Microsoft.

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
I've played the Demo a bunch of times. I really enjoy it, but personally I think C&C3 on the 360 had great controls... anyway, I'll definetly be buying the game but not before Resident Evil 5.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Eipok Kruden said:
D_987 said:
Anyone pre-ordered? - you might as well get the limited edition which actually looks worth the extra £10. Especially if you play Halo 3.
Yep. I can't wait for Sandbox. Coolest map ever, I have no idea what I'll forge first. :)
Have you heard about The Crypt? It's a space they placed under Sandbox which can be used as either part of a normal game or as a map in itself. You can block or unblock the entrance; it's essentially a version of Foundry without the side rooms, but with the items from Sandbox available for use.
I'm a Halo fanboy, of course I check Bungie's weekly update.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Eipok Kruden said:
D_987 said:
Sounds good.

LordCraigus

May 21, 2008
I played the demo t'other day. I'm trying to formulate an opinion on what I played but at the moment my mind just draws a blank.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Eipok Kruden said:
I'm a Halo fanboy, of course I check Bungie's weekly update.
I thought you would have. :)
Bungie is awesome ^^ Can't wait for Sandbox in all of its glory. Gonna have so much fun forging it :)
Yeah, I'm going to have so much fun going onto Bungie.net and downloading the quality work that everyone else has made because I'm too lazy and unskilled to create anything of worth, before realising that none of my friends will have the Mythic Map Pack yet and that I'm wasting my time....

Damn.
Now I'm sad.

So I'll make do with playing matchmaking on the maps :D. Now I'm happy.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
actually, it wasn't that bad. i love RTSs, they're my favorite genre, but i'm of the school of thought that says an RTS can only work well with a keyboard and mouse (anyone play C&C3 on the 360? those were some dodgy controls, but they worked)

my only issue with Halo Wars is the lassoo control. that pop-up seletion disk thing is very annoying, i just want to highlight a small group of marines, and now i have a quarter of my army? there also needs to be a tool to select one unit, then select another somewhere else, which i couldn't find (the keyboard SHIFT+Click ability)

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
Geo Da Sponge said:
Yeah, I'm going to have so much fun going onto Bungie.net and downloading the quality work that everyone else has made because I'm too lazy and unskilled to create anything of worth, before realising that none of my friends will have the Mythic Map Pack yet and that I'm wasting my time....

Damn.
Now I'm sad.

So I'll make do with playing matchmaking on the maps :D. Now I'm happy.
When in doubt, go into Matchmaking! :) Again, I love Bungie.

firehammer

Oct 30, 2008
I was never truly excited for Halo Wars, despite being a long-time Halo and Age of Empires fan. Console RTSs have just never really worked for me, and this sounded like the start of a line of Halo spinoffs. I really expected this to be too simple - make Spartans, make Warthogs, march them at evil foes, and watch things explode and die. After playing the demo, I admit it's made me interested. The Campagin missions were enjoyable, pretty and well-polished. I still felt the game would be too narrow-minded until I played the skirmish. Wow! I played as the Covenant for a twist, and once I started upgrading my tech level I could see how diverse tactics could become. Sure, not the same depth and variety I get with WarCraft III, but you can clearly use different strategies for unit upgrading and production, which made me happy. If you haven't used a level 3 Regret's Doom, you haven't seem awesome yet.

Anyway, I still don't plan on buying it soon, due to how many games I already known and need to finish. But I look forward to picking this up sometime. A nice way for Ensemble to go out.

RAKais

Jan 14, 2009
You do realise that if the flood are in the game then everyone will have to die and have not one survivor to tell the tale? Because the flood were first encountered by master chief not by the people in Halo Wars. If they knew of the flood before hand, they would have known about the massive threat they posed and it would change the time line dramatically. Unless Halo Wars isnt canon, they better have a good explanation for going back on past games.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
RAKais said:
You do realise that if the flood are in the game then everyone will have to die and have not one survivor to tell the tale? Because the flood were first encountered by master chief not by the people in Halo Wars. If they knew of the flood before hand, they would have known about the massive threat they posed and it would change the time line dramatically. Unless Halo Wars isnt canon, they better have a good explanation for going back on past games.
There's been hints floating around that the game's story takes place over a long stretch of time. It could very well be that there are no Flood levels until after the twenty-year mark, preserving the Chief's encounter as the first Humanity learns of the Flood.

There's no supporting evidence, though, so this is pure rumour and should be treated with a fair amount of dubiousness.

-- Steve

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
As a person who plays RTS games religiously, I thought it was pretty decent despite the dumb down of controls and base building. The review on the game that is on this site really brought up the big problem of Console RTS: Controls. The review also brought up a point that Skirmish AI just sends like 5 units to attack your base every 10 minutes, so the real only strategy was to Build up units and then have them all attack at once. Other than it's obvious faults, I did not enjoy the camera angle.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Not Good said:
As a person who plays RTS games religiously, I thought it was pretty decent despite the dumb down of controls and base building. The review on the game that is on this site really brought up the big problem of Console RTS: Controls. The review also brought up a point that Skirmish AI just sends like 5 units to attack your base every 10 minutes, so the real only strategy was to Build up units and then have them all attack at once. Other than it's obvious faults, I did not enjoy the camera angle.
TBH I thought the review on this site was pretty poor - you shouldn't judge the game against PC RTS games, but review it as it is - a console RTS game.