Halo Wars Lead Designer Says Interface Key to Sequel Success

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Halo Wars Lead Designer Says Interface Key to Sequel Success

The announcement of Halo Wars 2 had Graeme Devine screaming at his monitor in excitement. He gave us his thoughts on the original and how the game could improve on the original.

Read Full Article

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I missed read the title of the article as Halo Wars Lead Designer Executed Over Sequel Announcement. Now that would have been a story

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ha! Even the original creator of the game wants to know why the Spartans are getting stomped so badly. Glad it's not just me. I know they're not super invulnerable killing machines, but seriously, they're doing just as bad as regular marines in this trailer.

I've often wondered what that would feel like, to see someone else take control of something you created after you've moved on. I'm glad to see that he's completely on board with it and is just as excited as a normal fan. I think I'll have to read up on the events of the first game though, as I really don't remember any of the story.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
The original Halo Wars was an odd one. Odd canon, some ropey design choices, and so on. It was enjoyable enough, although by the time I picked it up the servers were all but abandoned so I never saw how multiplayer was.

There's definitely a place for a decent Halo RTS, so I hope for HW2's sake it gets more stuff right this time. Stepping away from the very console-ish feel of the original would be a good start.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
"I worked really hard on making it feel like Halo," he said.
Halo Wars was a remarkable success in that regard. It's so faithful in tone, visuals, music, even sound effects to the original games. The story/gameplay got the odd detail wrong (mostly stuff that contradicts the books like SPARTAN shielding), but yeah Halo Wars did its darndest to be a Halo game in another genre, and that's its greatest quality.

Makes Halo 4 all the more loathsome and cynical by comparison.

I'm glad he's happy about Halo Wars 2. Sure, the story's going to be absolute wank because 343i, but the new developers can only focus on the gameplay and cosmetic stuff which hopefully will be a vast improvement on the first, heavily flawed game. Sort the damn framerate out!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Halo Wars could be made great by simply allowing K/M. It is doable but this strict line they seem to want to draw makes it silly. While I liked the original, the fact that the units had limits because of the control features seemed to be annoying. I had more than one stalemate during the story mode because of it.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Evonisia said:
"I worked really hard on making it feel like Halo," he said.
Halo Wars was a remarkable success in that regard. It's so faithful in tone, visuals, music, even sound effects to the original games. The story/gameplay got the odd detail wrong (mostly stuff that contradicts the books like SPARTAN shielding), but yeah Halo Wars did its darndest to be a Halo game in another genre, and that's its greatest quality.

Makes Halo 4 all the more loathsome and cynical by comparison.

I'm glad he's happy about Halo Wars 2. Sure, the story's going to be absolute wank because 343i, but the new developers can only focus on the gameplay and cosmetic stuff which hopefully will be a vast improvement on the first, heavily flawed game. Sort the damn framerate out!
I think I remember reading something about the shielding of Spartans in Halo Wars and that it came about because the developers went more for gameplay than lore/story, though the cutscenes at least match up to the lore.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Zeras said:
That was my thinking as well. To be fair to them, people were complaining shit like "why are Halo 2/3 weapons in Halo Wars!!?! They weren't in Halo: CE!!1 Take the Beam Rifle/SPARTAN Laser out!" when those weapons were never said to be new inventions for those games so full power to him making the odd tweak with the actual lore, and full power to the new developers if they can get away with it.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Evonisia said:
Zeras said:
That was my thinking as well. To be fair to them, people were complaining shit like "why are Halo 2/3 weapons in Halo Wars!!?! They weren't in Halo: CE!!1 Take the Beam Rifle/SPARTAN Laser out!" when those weapons were never said to be new inventions for those games so full power to him making the odd tweak with the actual lore, and full power to the new developers if they can get away with it.
My thoughts exactly; that's why I still own the game.