Hammerpoint trying to sell a renamed The Warz on Steam

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Zeh Don said:
BoogieManFL said:
...Turns out it's Hammerpoint, the cheats that "made" The WarZ is at it again. They just changed the name and are selling it on Steam once more...
I'm curious here, are you suggesting with the "cheats" moniker and your quotation marks that Hammerpoint didn't actually make The War Z?
Excuse me for interjecting, but The WarZ is largely another game by Hammerpoint that they converted to cash in on DayZ, much of the advertising is misleading or wrong, some promotional material is barely modified having been lifted from other media, and the ideas and mechanics are largely lifted from DayZ, which being a mod somehow was supposed to justify their claims of being the first full game of that type. They did make a functional game, it is their own work, but it was also made haphazardly to cash in on DayZ's success. The OP is not suggesting that they did not make it.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
MeChaNiZ3D said:
...The WarZ is largely another game by Hammerpoint that they converted to cash in on DayZ...
Being that literally every company on the planet has at least one Zombie title either on the market or on the way, it seems rather dishonest to target Hammerpoint for providing a solid alternative to Day Z.
Day Z is a simulation game, and by it's very "mod in alpha "nature it's a clunky mess. The standalone is going to rectify a lot of that, but it's simulation core is going to remain. Pitch black nights, 24 hour clocks, the damage modelling and infection systems, etc.
War Z forgoes anything attempt at a simulation, in favour of providing a faster, more streamline and "arcade" experience. Is the basic idea the same? Sure, can't argue for a moment that it isn't. But to say it's a cash-in, and all the baggage that comes with that title, I don't think is fair at this point. They've completed a hell of a lot of post-release support so far, and the game is really it's own thing. Day Z and War Z are night and day different from another.

Was it a cash-in? Probably. Is it still a cash-in? Not really, not with the money they've spent on it, and the improvements they've made. I paid $15.00 for a game, and it's only gotten better since the time that I bought it. If they had of abandoned it, I'd totally agree with you. But the art and asset improvements alone prevent me from agreeing with you.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
...the ideas and mechanics are largely lifted from DayZ...
Are you calling out all of the games lifting ideas from Minecraft? Or all of the games lifting ideas from Call of Duty? Or how about Doom, or Wolfenstein? Because, seriously, the amount of "lifted" ideas from Day Z amount to little more than "There are Zombie, you can starve and die of thirst." That's all they share in common. Seriously.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
...The OP is not suggesting that they did not make it.
And yet, "make" is in quotation marks and he out-right calls the entire studio "cheaters", and heavily infers that War Z isn't a real game, that all of it's customers have been ripped off, and somehow - magically - Hammerpoint have "snuck" it back onto Steam without anyone noticing.