Han, Leia and Palpatine Will be Playable in Star Wars: Battlefront

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Han, Leia and Palpatine Will be Playable in Star Wars: Battlefront

Three new "Hero/Villain" characters have been revealed for Star Wars: Battlefront.

Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and Boba Fett [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/battlefront]. Today, EA has revealed three more - Han Solo, Princess Leia and Emperor Palpatine.

"Our goal for all the Hero characters has been to capture their essence and spirit from the original Star Wars film trilogy, and then convey that through gameplay," wrote Jamie Keen, the game's Lead Hero Designer. Leia, in contrast to Luke, will be more defensive in nature, with abilities such as Enhanced Squad Shield and Supply Drop encouraging her to fight with her fellow rebels, rather than lead the charge. Additionally, players spawning near Leia will spawn as Alderaan Honor Guards.

[gallery=4905]

"Han Solo might be the easiest Hero character to get into. Offensive output, damage, and mobility - that's what this guy's about." Indeed, Han is all about shooting first and asking questions later, with his abilities focusing on getting in and doing a lot of damage, and still having a lucky escape up his sleeve.

Lastly, Palpatine is a sort of anti-Leia, playing the support role for The Empire. He of course maintains his iconic Force Lightning ability, but also has a Imperial Resources ability that allows him to resupply his teammates with new power-ups.

Source: Sony [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/20/star-wars-battlefront-leia-han-and-palpatine-join-the-battle/]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
An update to such an old game? Can't imagine many people still have their original xboxes connected to xbox live since they never did a PC release.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
An update to such an old game? Can't imagine many people still have their original xboxes connected to xbox live since they never did a PC release.
This is for the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront on PC, PS4 and Xbox One:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Battlefront_(2015_video_game)

Additionally, the original Battlefront did in fact have a PC release:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront_(2004_video_game)

But I understand the confusion!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Xan Krieger said:
This is for the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront on PC, PS4 and Xbox One:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Battlefront_(2015_video_game)

But I understand the confusion!
I'm making a point to do this till they fix the title. As it stands the series is Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Star Wars Battlefront. I knew you didn't mean the first one but like I said the title pisses me off to the point I wish I could bring a marker into stores and fix it on every game box and sign.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I heard Han will have a debuff that forces all nearby Stormtroopers to run away from him, only to regain control after about 5 seconds.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
The Emperor? He must just force leap around everywhere, I don't think his old bones could handle the running. OTOH, LIGHTNING!

Cyrromatic

Mar 9, 2012
Frezzato said:
I heard Han will have a debuff that forces all nearby Stormtroopers to run away from him, only to regain control after about 5 seconds.
That would actually be pretty rad as far as hero powers go.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Player #6: You will pay the price for your lack of vision! *Force Lightning*
Player #2: Yeah, that wasn't funny the first 20 times you did that.

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
Emperor Palpatine, Darth Sidious, the dark puppetmaster behind the fall of the republic... on the front lines calling for supply drops?

Wah?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
"Our goal for all the Hero characters has been to capture their essence and spirit from the original Star Wars film trilogy, and then convey that through gameplay," wrote Jamie Keen, the game's Lead Hero Designer.
Followed immediately by:
Leia, in contrast to Luke, will be more defensive in nature, with abilities such as Enhanced Squad Shield and Supply Drop encouraging her to fight with her fellow rebels, rather than lead the charge. Additionally, players spawning near Leia will spawn as Alderaan Honor Guards.
So... how exactly does that have anything to with Leia's "essence and spirit" from the original trilogy? She was primarily a diplomat who turned out to be a badass with a blaster and capable of strangling slug monsters with any chains that happened to be lying around. Maybe I've missed some of George Lucas' edits, but I don't recall there being anything involving shields and throwing supplies at people, or magically turning nearby people into characters that didn't even exist in the films.

OK, it's obviously a decision based on needing that role filled by someone and Leia happened to be handy, but do they really have to pretend it has anything to do with the films instead of just admitting that the game needs to be balanced and therefore won't follow all previous stuff to the letter?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zelderahn said:
Emperor Palpatine, Darth Sidious, the dark puppetmaster behind the fall of the republic... on the front lines calling for supply drops?

Wah?
To be honest, Vader wasn't exactly the type of person who ran onto the battlefield hacking apart at rebels either. When he was at the front of the fray, it was in his TIE Advanced

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Frezzato said:
That is hilarious. Han's not exactly the scariest guy to go up against, despite his plot armor.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Poor Princess Leia... Being teabagged into oblivion by a horde of sexist 12 years old...

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Isn't Palpatine supposed to be impossibly powerful [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Palpatine#Powers_and_abilities]?

As in, fighting Mace Windu until it was convenient for him to be "defeated", and being capable of wiping out a star fleet with a Force Lightning Storm? And it taking a surprise suicide attack from chosen emo force Jesus to take him down?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
erttheking said:
To be honest, Vader wasn't exactly the type of person who ran onto the battlefield hacking apart at rebels either. When he was at the front of the fray, it was in his TIE Advanced
I respectfully offer the alternative viewpoint that Vader was actually quite a hands on man, often leading personally assaults on rebels, dissidents and jedis. And he had his own personal legion of clone stormtroopers so if leia gets to turn people around her into Alderaanian honor guards (even though they should be mostly dead), then Vader should convert any player spawning near him into a member of the 501st xP