Han Should Have Died in Return of the Jedi, Says Harrison Ford

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
They sell "frozen in carbonite" Han Solo figures, I don't think it would have been such a stretch to sell a corpse toy.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Well Star Wars is a classic fantasy fairy tale after all. So letting the roguish not-that-bad guy die, just wouldnt work out in the concept.I worshipped the trilogy as many others did. And that not for a reason. Its a story all of us already knew, presented in a new way, that remained unique in its quality and detail.

Plus, letting Solo Die (probably) would have led into no Solo-kids and i liked the jedi-academy novels with Jacen and Jaina.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
While I detest his motivations I don't like the idea of a dark ending for Star Wars, I don't think the movie would be greatly improved by Hans death.

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Didn't Ben Kenobi originally die because Alec Guinness was bored of the character?

Yeah...not looking great for your future projects is it George?

But no, Han shouldn't have died. That would have been shit. Seriously. That then leaves Leia doing the whole "Nooooooooooooooooooooo!" bit, which as we've seen, doesn't work.
No, Alec Guinness was AGAINST his character dying, actually.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
Although, if Han left the picture, who knows what Luke and his sister wouldve decided to do...
GIGGITY!

Yeah, I actually agree.
Han Solo was a rather boring character trying to be some sort of awesomely awesome thing, and failed.
Star Wars ran out of shiny golden twists on about the time Anakin became Darth Vader.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm happy Lucas didn't listen to Ford, sure actors can bring a great amount of input into a movie/character and god knows Lucas needed "no" men instead of being surrounded by "yes" men for so many years. But you hear too often how many actors what to take a character in another direction or kill them off. And this more often than not (at least in my memory) doesn't go well most of the time. You see this a lot in TV shows where a character just gets offed in a really lame way because the cast member wants to leave the show. Or a really prominent one like Alan Tudyk asking to kill off Wash (Firefly). I kid you not almost everyone in the theater with me watching Serenity was dumbfounded as to wtf they just witnessed when Wash died in the movie, it was completely out of the blue and storywise a really hard sell in the closing part of the final act.

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
bismarck55 said:
eljawa said:
while this is old news (watch the behind the scenes on the fourth disk of the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset) I agree, it would have heightened the danger and made return of the jedi a better film, because, and as a star wars nerd this is hard to say, but despite what Randal argues in Clerks, Jedi is the weakest of the original trilogy, by a huge margin. (and weaker than Revenge of the Sith)
Agreed. Episode 3 get's too much undeserved hate, just by virtue of being a prequel. The only thing that stands out as awful to me is the Obi-wan vs. Anakin duel.

Personally I rank them, from best to worst:

- V

- IV

- III

- VI

- I

- II
aw come on bro, attack of the clones was tight. easily better then phantom garbage

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
DeathSnipa1992 said:
bismarck55 said:
eljawa said:
while this is old news (watch the behind the scenes on the fourth disk of the Star Wars Trilogy Boxset) I agree, it would have heightened the danger and made return of the jedi a better film, because, and as a star wars nerd this is hard to say, but despite what Randal argues in Clerks, Jedi is the weakest of the original trilogy, by a huge margin. (and weaker than Revenge of the Sith)
Agreed. Episode 3 get's too much undeserved hate, just by virtue of being a prequel. The only thing that stands out as awful to me is the Obi-wan vs. Anakin duel.

Personally I rank them, from best to worst:

- V

- IV

- III

- VI

- I

- II
aw come on bro, attack of the clones was tight. easily better then phantom garbage
They're both trash, but I find 2 to be even more rotten.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Kimarous said:
Yyyyeah, um, Mr. Ford? You do realize that Return of the Jedi was originally going to let Lando Calrissian die in the final battle, but test audiences disliked it so much that they let him live, right? If they were that upset over Lando's potential death, how do you think the fans would feel over your own character's?

Fuck test audiences.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Ah yes because we all know Harrison Ford is above putting himself in bad films or anything that could ruin is integrity as an actor.
Isn't that right Donut eating cop from Hollywood Homicide?
You too elderly Indiana Jones?
And let's not forget Air Force One.

Sorry Harrison, you don't get to make fun of Lucas's merchandising when you agreed to do a love scene involving pastries. Though I'll admit he's still pretty awesome guy.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Well, yeah. Star Wars was one of the first series of films where merchandising was more important then artistic integrity. Like many films, it started off small, and then grew big because of the popularity it unintentionally gained. Lucas and the execs saw gigantic dollar signs and here we are today, with a live Han and a piss-poor prequel trilogy. No surprise to me man.

Funny stuff though. In retrospect, Han could have had an amazing heroic death. That would have been something.