Han Should Have Died in Return of the Jedi, Says Harrison Ford

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
JediMB said:
Han dying would have sucked.

He had to stay around long enough to shoot the Emperor in the back, for Pete's sake.
I'm confused, shoot the Emperor in the back? It makes no sense; he shot no Emperor.

------------

Actors will be actors, they will say how they feel. Some things they say can be right, some can be wrong.

If Ford wants to discuss messed up things in movies he has been in, it should about the Indiana Jones movie that as far as I'm concerned, doesn't exist. You all know what one I am talking about, you all don't need to say it here.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
Harrison was always known to dislike the character. And I think he's right, it would've added that little bit more bite to the movie. It didn't really need it, but it would've added it.

Although, if Han left the picture, who knows what Luke and his sister wouldve decided to do...
Nothing, nothing would have happened between Luke and Leia. The idea was that Han would die at the end of the Return of the Jedi. Luke and Leia knew before that that they were siblings, so, nothing would have happened.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I was always under the impression that Ford absolutely despised every single one of his famous roles, from Rick Deckard, to Han Solo, to Indy.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
I'm confused, shoot the Emperor in the back? It makes no sense; he shot no Emperor.
Well, technically I guess he wasn't an emperor anymore, but I assume you're not familiar with Empire's End?

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Yeah lets kill off one of the most interesting characters in the franchise, if they had wanted to kill characters for no apparent reason to "add bite" then they should have hired Joss Whedon, the man who started this obsession with butchering half your main characters!

I hate it, what is the point in giving any emotional involvement in a character when they will be killed off by lazy writing! Or a blinding which could have been used to make the character more interesting imbued him with the seers power. Which would have actually been good!

Killing off characters is the equivalent of ending your book with "but it was all a dream!"

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Calvar Draveir said:
No, Alec Guinness was AGAINST his character dying, actually.
Not true. There is actually a confirmed case where a small boy who happened to be a Star Wars fan went up to Guinness on the street with a piece of Star Wars merchandise, asking Guinness to sign it. Guinness agreed to give the boy his signature, but only on the condition that the boy would agree to never watch Episode 4 ever again.

Go read Guinness' autobiography A Positively Final Appearance. I have long since stopped believing the shit they spout in those Star Wars Special Edition DVDs, hardly any of it is true. Lucas likes change the story around and outright lie to suit his image. No surprise there right?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
eljawa said:
I always put a new hope as Best, followed by Empire and then the rest is the same as your list. I can live with the Anakin/Obi Wan duel (CGI wasnt very good thougg in that scene) if it werent for those romatic scenes

"Anakin...You're breaking my heart"
(Anakin says something stupider in his rage)

gosh lucas...really?
I disagree, I preferred ROTJ over III. Though not by a large margin. The only reason I prefer ROTJ over III is probably due to the last say half hour of ROTJ. The dog fight and the duel between Vader. Which I think is possibly one of the best Lightsabre duels in the whole series. I am disappointed at ROTJ because it could have been a whole lot better if they took out the whole Ewok thing they had. That really made the film silly and it feels really out of place when your watching the serious issues happening up in the Death Star with Vader, Luke and the Emperor, then the serious dog fight going on only to come back to seeing teddy bears fighting a trained army.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
This explains so much. To me Return of The Jedi always seemed very marketed if you know what I mean.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Jesus Phish said:
Harrison was always known to dislike the character. And I think he's right, it would've added that little bit more bite to the movie. It didn't really need it, but it would've added it.

Although, if Han left the picture, who knows what Luke and his sister wouldve decided to do...
Nothing, nothing would have happened between Luke and Leia. The idea was that Han would die at the end of the Return of the Jedi. Luke and Leia knew before that that they were siblings, so, nothing would have happened.
My comment was a joke. I'm aware they knew they were siblings, everyone with a brain who watched the movie knew that.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
matrix3509 said:
I have long since stopped believing the shit they spout in those Star Wars Special Edition DVDs, hardly any of it is true. Lucas likes change the story around and outright lie to suit his image. No surprise there right?
It seems that George Lucas is more of a businessman than a film maker. I have heard rumours that back when the films he made were good he was still as egocentric as he is now. The only difference between then and now is that today he has a massive reputation and can sell movie tickets with his name.

chipfizz

Jul 15, 2009
To be honest it would have been cool if had died. It was kind of odd that threw all of this he didn't when you look at some of the stuff that happens to him. Like when he runs into a room full of storm tropers. If even one of them had been a good shot or even able to run as fast as him he should have died but no he got away. The more you look the more he just looks lucky and as such i can see the point even though I loved Han as a charecter. He was funny and was human unlike the others who was always trying to do what was 'right' and being little angels. That did get on my nevers a little from time to time.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
FungiGamer said:
Covarr said:
I just saw A New Hope for the first time two days ago.....
..........So what was it like growing up on Mars??? :D
I've never seen A new hope or the empire strikes back ( I have seen the prequels 10 times each)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Yureina said:
Han dying would have been a horribly traumatizing experience for me when I was a child. :(
Yeah, it was bad enough having to watch him solidified into a big brick made of poo. If he'd died it would have been too much for the kids.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Armitage Shanks said:
Captain Pancake said:
Come to think of it, there was very little tragedy to that film
was that the one Ewok with a name that died. Never noticed that before. Still, my choice of words of "very little" holds an even more prevalent meaning now.

Cyan.

May 10, 2010
Elesar said:
Well the year before Jedi (1983) Ford was in Blade Runner, where he played one of the most nuanced and interesting characters in cinema. It's understandable that he might have soured on the interesting, but not as deep, Han Solo over that time.

Still Star Wars is nothing but an example of how adversity and mistakes can make something better. Maybe Han staying alive was one of those?

You know Ford hated that character too right?

In fact, he hated the entire movie.

"I played a detective who did no detecting" i believe were his words.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
Yes, because Dead Darth Vader toys sold so poorly.

Lucas, you are an idiot.
Well we all knew that
But still, I'm not sure Han dying would have been a good thing

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Truly happy endings are rarer than we think. I wouldn't have loved Star Wars as much as I did, if Han had died. I might not have had the vocab back then to say 'Cheap effort at emotional depth' but I would have felt it.