Han Solo Joins Ender's Game Cast

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Han Solo Joins Ender's Game Cast

Harrison Ford is trading in his wookie and nerf herder to hang out with a bunch of military brats.

Orson Scott Card's acclaimed novel Ender's Game has been a tempting property to develop into a movie for quite some time. For the past decade, progress on the film project has been slow - partially due to the fact that <a href=http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51720&offset=40>Card himself refused to "condescend to green screen hollywood" - but the movie is now going ahead and assembling a cast. The latest addition to the film is Harrison Ford, who will play Col. Hyram Graff.

Graff - for those of you who don't remember - is the man who runs Battle School, manipulating the children who live and train there to save humanity. The character is sort of a villain, thanks to his ruthless tactics, but also shown wrestling with the morality of what he's doing in order to create the military leaders humanity needs in order to survive the interstellar war it's engaged in.

As Ender's Game is about children soldiers, Ford is one of the few major adult actors attached to the film adaptation (the other big-name actor is Ben Kingsley as Mazer Rackham). Meanwhile, Ender is being played by Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld (of True Grit) is playing Petra, Abigail Breslin is going to portray Ender's sister Valentine, while Jimmy Pinchak (from Let Me In) will be Ender's borderline psychotic brother, Peter.

Ender's Game is due to hit theaters sometime in 2013.

Source: <a href=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047827>Variety via <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/12/harrison_ford_is_the_chief_scoundrel_of_enders_gam.php>Topless Robot

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
There's going to be an Ender Game film? This better be good, it's a fantastic book. The casting of Harrison Ford can only make this better.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I highly approve of this choice. Ford is perfect to play Graff, especially now that's such a gruff, grumpy old man.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Nouw said:
There's going to be an Ender Game film? This better be good, it's a fantastic book. The casting of Harrison Ford can only make this better.
Too bad all the sequels Card wrote were awful.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
vansau said:
Nouw said:
I beg to differ! Ender's Shadow was head and shoulders better than Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead was a solid book in it's own right.

That being said, the role I'm really curious about is who will be playing Bean. He's just as important, or possibly even more important, than Ender is in the series.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
vansau said:
Nouw said:
Can't comment on those I'm afraid. I hope Starship Troopers get just as good actors.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
I am not looking forward to this. The less this world has of Orson Scott Card the better. He's quite a detestable personality.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Nouw said:
vansau said:
Nouw said:
Can't comment on those I'm afraid. I hope Starship Troopers get just as good actors.
*blink*

Another Starship Troopers is getting made? I'll have to look into that.

But back to the subject at hand- here is Orson Scott card talking about the possibility of Ender's Game becoming a movie. He briefly gives a synopsis on how it will probably break down. And *ALOT* is going to have to get cut.

It makes me wonder how the Honor Harrington Movies project might turn out.

http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2255

Sep 14, 2009
Xanthious said:
vansau said:
Nouw said:
I beg to differ! Ender's Shadow was head and shoulders better than Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead was a solid book in it's own right.

That being said, the role I'm really curious about is who will be playing Bean. He's just as important, or possibly even more important, than Ender is in the series.
agreed with this entirely

especially with who will play bean/ender

although i think overall i think they need to make sure bean and ender have the same strong relationship that they do in the books..if they can pull that off, then this movie has a definite chance of being amazing.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
vansau said:
Nouw said:
I disagree that statement in reference to Ender's Shadow. Everything else, though? Eugh. The Shadow series devolved into geopolitical WTFery, a prelude to Empire as it were. Speaker for the Dead had one or two good ideas, but I can summarize its problems by pointing out that it started with a cheatsheet to tell the kids apart, based partly on who had what physical trait. You know what? If you can't make your characters unique enough that I can tell them apart without having to rely on crib notes or looks, then you're doing it wrong. (See also Red Letter Media's criticism of The Phantom Menace where they ask people to describe assorted SW characters. Same idea.)

I missed Xenocide but good GOD Children of the Mind was painful. Never realized during Ender's Game that a day would come when I wanted to stove Ender's head in with a brick just to get it over with.

That said, I have a friend whose personal Ender canon ends before Ender's Game does. As soon as Ender goes off to find the Bugger queen, the story ends for him, there's nothing worthwhile after that in his opinion.

Onoto

Jun 14, 2010
Harrison Ford is pretty much the coolest person in the universe, so, yeah, I'm down with that. Graff has also fascinated me as a character and Indiana Jack Han Jones Ryan Solo is pretty much my dream selection.

Jan 29, 2009
I'd always figured that they never made a movie because it's hard to make a scene with naked children murdering each other that without enraging Republican America...

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
This movie will be almost impossible to make. I mean Ender is age 6, is a genus, and is ruthless. Good luck finding a 6 year old actor that can pull that off and the best (worst) part about this is if they make an Ender's Shadow movie they would need to find a 4 year old to play Bean...

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
I'm kinda sceptical as well. Finding good child actors can be really hard and the movie is supposed to be full of them. I always thought enders game would make a good anime but not a live cast movie. I really hope they can pull this of because I really liked the book but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
They've cast 20somethings as teenagers, i don't see why they couldn't cast a 12 or so actor as Ender.