Han Solo Joins Ender's Game Cast

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
vansau said:
Han Solo Joins Ender's Game Cast
Oh god, stop doing that. You're going to give me a heart attack one of these days. That title just gave me the image of someone doing a horrible, horrible train wreck in the guise of a fanfic. And if that happened I would lose all hope for the literary community.

I mean, shit. No one's THAT indecent.[footnote]This is NOT an invitation to prove me wrong. Please. Just don't. I like my naivete.[/footnote]

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
Nouw said:
There's going to be an Ender Game film? This better be good, it's a fantastic book. The casting of Harrison Ford can only make this better.
this also how come i didnt herd about this untill now? talk about under the radar!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
idodo35 said:
Nouw said:
There's going to be an Ender Game film? This better be good, it's a fantastic book. The casting of Harrison Ford can only make this better.
this also how come i didnt herd about this untill now? talk about under the radar!
Was pretty recent and under the radar. Some film sites announced it but nothing flash like a teaser or trailer. All we know is that the writers Ashley Miller [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Miller_(screenwriter)] and Zack Stentz [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zack_Stentz] are the screen writers and Neal H. Mortiz [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_H._Moritz] is going to help produce it. No director as of yet. The writers wrote Thor and X-Men First Class which were great films, in my opinion, but do they have what it takes to finally produce the Starship Troopers me and many others have waited for?

I'm keeping an eye out for these two films, I loved the novels and I hope they do a good job of adapting it to film.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Nouw said:
it's a fantastic book.
Mr Somewhere said:
The less this world has of Orson Scott Card the better. He's quite a detestable personality.
Strangely enough, both true (especially since they're both opinions). He's kind of the Mel Gibson of science fiction.
If you really want to be annoyed with him, read the first book in the Empire series. America is menaced by violent, organized, well-funded technohippies. It seems like an official government broadcast defending action against the OWS.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
0.o I had no idea there was going to a movie. I really hope it will be a good one but for some reason I doubt that :/

I loved the books tho.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Marmooset said:
Nouw said:
it's a fantastic book.
Mr Somewhere said:
The less this world has of Orson Scott Card the better. He's quite a detestable personality.
Strangely enough, both true (especially since they're both opinions). He's kind of the Mel Gibson of science fiction.
If you really want to be annoyed with him, read the first book in the Empire series. America is menaced by violent, organized, well-funded technohippies. It seems like an official government broadcast defending action against the OWS.
Oh, I'm not going to debate the quality of Ender's Game, but, that man. It's at the stage where he has become a parody of himself. I simply can no longer separate the work and the person. A very similar thing happened with the creator of Earthworm Jim; Doug TenNapel. I read a few of his comics, really enjoyed them, though, I found they were occasionally plagued by some negligible philosophies. Then, I discovered the kinds of things TenNapel believed. I can no longer enjoy his work.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Mr Somewhere said:
Oh, I'm not going to debate the quality of Ender's Game, but, that man. It's at the stage where he has become a parody of himself. I simply can no longer separate the work and the person. A very similar thing happened with the creator of Earthworm Jim; Doug TenNapel. I read a few of his comics, really enjoyed them, though, I found they were occasionally plagued by some negligible philosophies. Then, I discovered the kinds of things TenNapel believed. I can no longer enjoy his work.
Now, I'm not going to claim to be a conservative (although I might qualify in Europe), but I respect several of 'em highly - P.J. O'Rourke and George Will to name a few. But his conservatism seems to be of the drastic "let's round 'em up if they don't agree" variety. And it's practically impossible to enjoy his later work, not because he has those views, but that he drags them into his writing. And it's kind of upsetting for a guy who's obviously fairly brilliant in a technical aspect.

And yeah, I know, people write what they believe, but soapboxing detracts from the flow of fiction. Off the top of my head, I can think of two accomplished writers in the horror field guilty of the same thing: Stephen King (I tend to agree with the views, but please!), and Dean Koontz (good Lord! What has happened to you? Was Intensity a fluke?)

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Marmooset said:
Mr Somewhere said:
Now, I'm not going to claim to be a conservative (although I might qualify in Europe), but I respect several of 'em highly - P.J. O'Rourke and George Will to name a few. But his conservatism seems to be of the drastic "let's round 'em up if they don't agree" variety. And it's practically impossible to enjoy his later work, not because he has those views, but that he drags them into his writing. And it's kind of upsetting for a guy who's obviously fairly brilliant in a technical aspect.

And yeah, I know, people write what they believe, but soapboxing detracts from the flow of fiction. Off the top of my head, I can think of two accomplished writers in the horror field guilty of the same thing: Stephen King (I tend to agree with the views, but please!), and Dean Koontz (good Lord! What has happened to you? Was Intensity a fluke?)

European, Irish, so I've never agreed with the whole Liberal/Conservative divide. Opinions are opinions as long as they are well reasoned I can understand where one is coming from (within reason of course).
You're absolutely right, of course, I don't mind allegory and the like, but when an author uses their fiction as a soap box it detracts from the actual fiction.
I should clarify, I have no problem with one trying to make a point in their fiction, but I prefer it to be implied, rather than beating the reader over the head, which is what became of Card.

I've actually never had that problem with King. Though, much as I like him, I stick to his good works. When he's good, he's among the best, but when he's bad... ugh.
Koontz though, could never stand him. As a horror fan I found his work quite weak.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The only way the movie could work is if they kept the brutality in Ender's actions at the level of something like the bottle scene in Pan's Labyrinth. If they try to kiddify the whole thing it will be really bad.

For anyone who hasn't read the books while the graphic novel series is excellent refresher.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Ahhhh, I remember reading Enders Game. That was actually a pretty good book. But I was way to young when I read it. Still, here's to hoping it'll be good.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
I don't think it is possible to make a good movie out of this. Casting one kid is already hard apparently, here you need a whole cast. It might work with a strong adult supporting cast (like the Harry Potter movies) but I have my doubts.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Yeah I don't see the naked, soapy shower fight to the death between Ender and Achilles going over well with the mainstream crowd. That's the thing with the books, they may be children, but they're written as adults. This makes the suspension of disbelief much easier to swallow because after awhile you forget their age.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
The kids in the cast seem to be pretty good actors and the addition of some more really good adult actors. This could be a good movie. As long as they don't cut too much out of it.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
thats a hell of a good cast. i have hopes that this movie might not suck. my only question is how they will do the all important "game" it seems like it would be hard to portray in a film. also i hope they do enders shadow too, which was just as good, if not, better, than enders game.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Holy crap, that's some good casting choices. I think I might actually be looking forward to this one. My only worry is that Hollywood can have issues realizing that just because a movie is about children doesn't mean its a movie for children. And Ender's Game is not a story for kids.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
Excellent, I'll have time to finally read that book! On my whishlist on Amazon, along with 10 other books.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
I'm ecstatic and horrified at the same time. I know a lot will have to cut, but it's still a good story. Ford as Graff seems like a perfect choice.

Hopefully the younger actors can be suitably Psychotic, Especially Peter.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Singularly Datarific said:
I'd always figured that they never made a movie because it's hard to make a scene with naked children murdering each other that without enraging Republican America...
This.

Although the scene can be changed a little (forget about the naked), the core of the problem is the same. Despite being in the single digits of age, most of the characters in the book are ruthless (The Wire level ruthless). To be somehow faithful, the movie has to be a NC-17 or R rated movie starred by small kids. I don't know how they can make it without some eyebrows rising...