Hands-On: Double Fine's Stacking

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hands-On: Double Fine's Stacking

The evil industrialist Baron has your family, and you don't even have movable hands. Uh-oh.

Read Full Article

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Sounds like fun, but I'd still like a big budget release. I loved Brütal Legend, and would like to see a sequel, but I guess that's out of the question...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
lovest harding said:
I'm super excited for this.
Me too. I'm actually thrilled by this new direction that Double Fine is taking. For whatever cosmic reason, DF just can't win with a big-budget release. Better for them to try smaller scale games that still have the unique humor and charm that we love.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
lovest harding said:
I'm super excited for this.
Me too. I'm actually thrilled by this new direction that Double Fine is taking. For whatever cosmic reason, DF just can't win with a big-budget release. Better for them to try smaller scale games that still have the unique humor and charm that we love.
Agreed. I also think that smaller scale games are perfect for them. Their quirky ideas can be played with more.
And as gamers, we just get more of what they're good at. And more, in this case, is better. Much, much better.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
HankMan said:
Friendly NPC "The Baron's men are coming! Quick get inside me"
Hero: "WAIT WHAT? Ohhhh!"
You just reminded me of this:
http://www.oglaf.com/sanctuary/
Warning: Extremely NSFW. It is Oglaf, after all.

EDIT: I should probably post something on topic. I'm looking forward to this too, and I think the reasonably large DLC game is a good setup for Double Fine. Like other people have said, it lets them explore more weird and wonderful ideas, and DLC games are just small enough that they can be sold on an interesting concept without feeling gimmicky.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It seems nowadays I can only get really excited about small games like this, so hooray for those guys.

It's certainly a fantastic concept.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Loved Costume Quest, but that was a basic gameplay model.

This though, is something entirely different (I guess it's like Hitman), pretty hard to compare to other games. Its gameplay will at least stand out to go along with their sharp humour.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This is basically MindJack, only done right, with a better concept than an FPS, and with graphics that combine a beautiful art style and technical competence. I expect it'll get at most an 8.5/10 average - but if quality of the concept counted for anything, it should score a mandatory 9/10 minimum.

Sadly, it's not on PC... Why, Mr. Schafer? Why abandon your loyal (if impoverished) fanbase? We love you!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Ok did a bunch of people from Shiny Entertainment end up working at Double Fine? Brutal Legend was good but it played very similarly to Sacrifice. Right down to having Tim Curry in it.

I'm only saying that because this sounds very similar to another Shiny Entertainment game called Messiah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_%28video_game%29

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
There may not be a super-deep experience here, but sometimes you really don't need one to have a good time.
How is this not a deep experience? What's shallow about it.

Anyway, can't wait for the game to drop. It looks like it'll be superb.

Partezan

Apr 15, 2009
Was not happy with Brutal Legend but was very happy to get a refund :) I don't really trust double fine to release quality games anymore, there are plenty of indie games with incredible designs as well as gameplay

Partezan

Apr 15, 2009
omicron1 said:
Sadly, it's not on PC... Why, Mr. Schafer? Why abandon your loyal (if impoverished) fanbase? We love you!
Because he wants money, he will never say it but all the signs are there, Im sure Im not the only one that felt it, tim made some great games but he lost his passion for them, hopefully he will find his way, till then, no money for him :)

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I really, really like this idea. It's a cool concept, and I like that there's multiple solutions, plus exploration elements... Any word on if we can replay levels? I assume you can, to find the endings and such.
John Funk said:
Stacking is set for release in the first part of the year on both Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.
I will overcome this obstacle... Or somehow convince someone to buy me a PS3... Either way. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be ported to PC.
Come on Schafer, we all love you...

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Better for them to try smaller scale games that still have the unique humor and charm that we love.
This comment mad me finally understand the problem I had with Brutal Legend; it was too big. By that I mean the concept didn't lend itself to the open world approach and I never thought the two mechanics (third person combat & RTS) really meshed properly. If it had been a game closer to downloadable size and had a tighter, level based focus, it may have been better received.

I think this looks like a really fun premise with a beautiful aesthetic (love the silent movie idea) and may well tempt me (finally) to give my money to a downloadable game, rather than whoring myself out to the big releases every time.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
You had me at Double Fine.

I'm so glad these guys are making these types of games now, it's sad we can't have big budget games as unique as this that sell well but still, I feel like they're better suited for the indie market.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Partezan said:
omicron1 said:
Because he wants money, he will never say it but all the signs are there, Im sure Im not the only one that felt it, tim made some great games but he lost his passion for them, hopefully he will find his way, till then, no money for him :)
That's not really fair, is it? He needs the money to make the games. PCs are harder, more complicated, and more expensive to develop for, and small games are always getting targeted by pirates (see 2DBOY). I'm sick as a parrot over not being able to buy this cool looking title for my PC, but I can appreciate why that is the case.