Hands On: Heavy Rain

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hands On: Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain will make you look forward to quick-time events. Seriously.

Read Full Article

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
See, Susan, you've basically made me even more annoyed now. I really wanted to play this and I'm a 360 owner, and I was pretty disappointed (to say the least) when I found Heavy Rain would be a PS3 exclusive. However, it looks like all you PS3 owners out there are guranteed some good fun :)

Something I can understand is the general disdain for quicktime events. It just seems lazy and sloppy, in my opinion, to stick these events in a game (PRESS X NOT TO DIE!) and so on when you've spent so long working on things like good graphics and a decent story. Why can't that same dedication progress towards gameplay as well? So I read the review of the demo with a little caution, and a bit of suspicion too. I man, good quicktime events? Surely not? But then, looking at Susan's description, it seems like this could work. Not just a simple case of 'Press X not to die!', but not quite as complicated as the gameplay in a lot of action games. That's how it seems, anyway, according to the way Susan talked about it. Having not seen the demo myself I don't know, but it seems like this could well be a decent balance. Let's just hope it doesn't disappoint in the finished product.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
As a PC exclusive gamer this won't end up on my desk but it sounds definitely interesting. As above I am always skeptical concerning QTEs but the description here made sense, especially that missing a couple of them doesn't punish the player straight away. That's the kind of QTE which actually can work well as a miss is not going to make you reload straight away. Maybe this one gets once a PC version then I can test it too.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm... well you've certainly backed up the good first impressions I got from the videos I've seen previously. I'll be keeping a closer eye on this game from now on.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
This game and The Last Guardian are the two games that have me most excited right now. Just judging by previous works they should both be great. I really hope the story turns out as good as it is looking right now.

That is a neat thought that just finding the blood trail does not automatically trigger a scene of the character figuring out what happened and more of a you have to sort of piece it together before your character does sounds really interesting.

Quick time events can really add to the immersion if they are done correctly. Indigo Prophecy did a decent job through most of the game with them. I think the biggest fallback most QTE's have is they usually show up as a do this now or you die horribly (ala Resident Evil, Uncharted etc etc. which can bring an otherwise flowing game to a halt just because you missed a quicktime event)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
And they can take their time.
I hate QTEs. I will never like them again; I could tolerate them back in the day when games had one stick and one button.
There's no such thing as an intuitive qte: QTEs are for programmers who are too lazy to make intuitive controls.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
I hate QTEs. I will never like them again; I could tolerate them back in the day when games had one stick and one button.
There's no such thing as an intuitive qte: QTEs are for programmers who are too lazy to make intuitive controls.
To say there is no such thing as an intuitive quick time event is pretty narrow minded. Just because you have not seen one does not mean there is not one. It is all dependent on how it is pulled off.
Sure they could have thrown in a fighting mechanic but most people will turn that into a button mashing the idea of a QTE that is pulled off correctly is that your button presses or thumb stick movements are in line with what kind of action is happening on the screen not just wildly mashing the punch kick or block buttons. Which can pull you into the game more because you are thinking while the action is happening and have to make your decisions and choices fast like you would if it was really happening.
Granted most games do not pull this off most QTE are hit random button to dodge falling boulders etc. then back to run and gun or mash square to kick. But from what I have seen of this game most QTE are mimicking the flow of what is happening and a lot did not seem to be kill and restart if you missed one it just changes the way the scene plays out instead of the normal miss this button press and you die and restart the same sequence again.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
To say there is no such thing as an intuitive quick time event is pretty narrow minded. Just because you have not seen one does not mean there is not one. It is all dependent on how it is pulled off.
Sure they could have thrown in a fighting mechanic but most people will turn that into a button mashing the idea of a QTE that is pulled off correctly is that your button presses or thumb stick movements are in line with what kind of action is happening on the screen not just wildly mashing the punch kick or block buttons. Which can pull you into the game more because you are thinking while the action is happening and have to make your decisions and choices fast like you would if it was really happening.
Granted most games do not pull this off most QTE are hit random button to dodge falling boulders etc. then back to run and gun or mash square to kick. But from what I have seen of this game most QTE are mimicking the flow of what is happening and a lot did not seem to be kill and restart if you missed one it just changes the way the scene plays out instead of the normal miss this button press and you die and restart the same sequence again.
I'm not being narrow minded, I'm being logical. QTEs are by definition the antithesis of "intuitive controls."
If the controls for heavy rain were so intuitive, they wouldn't need to have directions on the screen.
I'll make you a deal: if there's even a setting allowing you to turn off the on screen directions, I will change my mind about this game; I however will not change my mind about QTEs.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stuff
Stuff
I'm not being narrow minded, I'm being logical. QTEs are by definition the antithesis of "intuitive controls."
If the controls for heavy rain were so intuitive, they wouldn't need to have directions on the screen.
I'll make you a deal: if there's even a setting allowing you to turn off the on screen directions, I will change my mind about this game; I however will not change my mind about QTEs.
Actually quick time events are the definition of intuitive.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/
intuitive
readily learned or understood

intuition
c: the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

If someone sees a button on the screen intuition would tell them to press the button. Where as in a standard control scheme if there is no learning area or a manual with all the controls in it you would not intuitively know how to pull off the moves. Maybe walking etc. but there really is no standard such as square always kicks etc. etc.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wait, you mean they've taken their time and designed the QTE's as integrated part of the gameplay and not moments of arbitrary 'press to not die'?

I' so happy, I think I'm going to cry...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stuff
Stuff

intuitive

intuition
c: the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

If someone sees a button on the screen intuition would tell them to press the button. Where as in a standard control scheme if there is no learning area or a manual with all the controls in it you would not intuitively know how to pull off the moves. Maybe walking etc. but there really is no standard such as square always kicks etc. etc.
How is something readily learned when it can mean something different every time? That's why QTEs are the antithesis of intuitive.
I say again, if there's even a setting allowing you to turn off the on screen directions, I will change my mind about this game; I however will not change my mind about QTEs.

If it is possible to play this game without directions flashing on the screen, then it can be considered intuitive but it can't be considered to have QTEs exactly. If the game itself HAS TO constantly remind you what buttons to press, then it isn't intuitive, but it does have QTEs..

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stuff
Stuff
Stuff

intuitive

intuition

How is something readily learned when it can mean something different every time? That's why QTEs are the antithesis of intuitive.
I say again, if there's even a setting allowing you to turn off the on screen directions, I will change my mind about this game; I however will not change my mind about QTEs.

If it is possible to play this game without directions flashing on the screen, then it can be considered intuitive but it can't be considered to have QTEs exactly. If the game itself HAS TO constantly remind you what buttons to press, then it isn't intuitive, but it does have QTEs..
It is readily learned and understood when this pops up on your screen to push that button that is intuitive. Kind of like how when you learn controls for a new fighting game it is readily learned when you press this button this happens(kick punch etc.). They are both intuitive in their own way.
You are thinking on scope of when I press this I want it to do this all the time. When triangle or A flashes I press that button and my character does what he needs to do. Turning them off and having triangle or A still do all those different moves for the character would be counter intuitive as per it would end up being more of a trial and error type scenario to find the right move.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stuff
Stuff
Stuff

intuitive

intuition

It is readily learned and understood when this pops up on your screen to push that button that is intuitive. Kind of like how when you learn controls for a new fighting game it is readily learned when you press this button this happens(kick punch etc.). They are both intuitive in their own way.
You are thinking on scope of when I press this I want it to do this all the time. When triangle or A flashes I press that button and my character does what he needs to do. Turning them off and having triangle or A still do all those different moves for the character would be counter intuitive as per it would end up being more of a trial and error type scenario to find the right move.
But you do see what I'm saying: if it HAS TO put directions on the screen for you, it isn't intuitive.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stuff
Stuff
Stuff

intuitive

intuition

But you do see what I'm saying: if it HAS TO put directions on the screen for you, it isn't intuitive.
But the directions on the screen are the entirety of the game, since it produces a different action each time. It can't be any more intuitive, because that's as far as it goes.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
midpipps said:
GonzoGamer said:
Stuff
Stuff
Stuff

intuitive

intuition

But the directions on the screen are the entirety of the game, since it produces a different action each time. It can't be any more intuitive, because that's as far as it goes.
And that's my problem, not only with this game but QTEs in general: at a time where we have three directionals and a dozen buttons (not to mention motion controls already in most consoles) there's no excuse for me to have to play simon says with the control scheme.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This preview of the game has made me much more confident of Heavy Rain. I'll definitely keep an eye on Heavy Rain and see where it goes.