Hands-On: Madden NFL Football 3DS

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Hands-On: Madden NFL Football 3DS

The first 3DS version of Madden is all about the football, but not necessarily with another human player.

I'm not the biggest sports gamer anymore, but figured I might as well check out Madden NFL Football 3DS [http://www.amazon.com/Madden-NFL-Football-3DS-Nintendo-DS/dp/B004CDUOJ8] at Nintendo's New York 3DS event anyway. I was pleasantly surprised by what I saw.

When talking to one of the game's developers, I kept asking: "Does Madden 3DS include "X" feature from other versions?" Almost every time, his answer was: "No."

However, this isn't a bad thing. The main goal for Madden NFL Football 3DS was to create a handheld Madden experience that isn't chopped down. It includes all of the NFL's teams, their stadiums, a season mode, and a huge playbook, which might be all that any football fan needs.

As I said, I don't play sports games much lately, but still had fun with Madden 3DS partially because of its new features. There's a new play-calling system called Gameflow that has the AI choose the best play in any particular situation. Even when I did play Madden back in the 1940s, choosing a play was kind of a mystery at times, so this is a welcomed addition for the casual or intermediate gamer that's ready for some football. If you want to choose your own plays, just turn off Gameflow.

The only "no" I received that was surprising revolved around Madden 3DS's multiplayer mode. There is none. Maybe next year. For the record, I was also asking about bonus modes and collectibles featured in previous Madden games, such as Madden cards.

Those only wanting to crush the computer beneath their cleats will be able to take advantage of some unique 3DS capabilities. One that I liked was the ability to call a play and then go into a touchscreen mode where you can draw your own routes for receivers. Now that's an audible!

Another addition that sounds interesting are Madden 3DS's Spotlights. In the middle of key plays, where perhaps the quarterback is about to get sacked, or when a receiver is about to be tackled right outside of the end zone, the game will slow down into bullet-time and zoom-in on the action, taking advantage of the system's 3D capabilities, and a QTE will determine the end result.

Madden 3DS also features a 5-on-5 mode, but it's still based in reality somewhat rather than becoming an all-out version of NFL Blitz. I'm saddened by the lack of multiplayer, but Madden NFL Football 3DS looks like a good start on Nintendo's new handheld for solo football gamers.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
No multiplayer for a sports game seem kinda dumb, especially if it's the first sports title to be released as 3DS' launch title roster.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
the lapalminator said:
i bet you less than 10 people here care about football
1. I love football, and since my team's season has been over for a while, I've been scanning draft information while at work... mostly to avoid work, though.

On topic, I've never been a Madden fan myself, but I'm seriously looking at the 3DS, so I may pick it up eventually. The graphics aren't the best I've seen from the 3DS, but they're not bad either.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
No multiplayer for a sports game seem kinda dumb, especially if it's the first sports title to be released as 3DS' launch title roster.
im really suprised by this as well. for Most people i know multiplayer is there reason for playing sports games

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
Ill be number 2. I dont really care about having the most up to date madden. (Im still on 07) but I do support a team adamently (who just got taken out of the playoffs)

OT: no multiplay??? i cant be that much of a strain, and I probably play multiplayer on sports games way more then the season or frachise modes. Will not be getting