Hands-On Preview: de Blob 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hands-On Preview: de Blob 2

de Blob is back, and not just for the Wii.

Read Full Article

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
The best part of de Blob was the music. As you colored in the city the jazzy music continued to escalate and add instruments. Is the music still wonderful?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I liked deBlob, but playing it was a bit of a farse, I hope the Move improves it.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
An evil corp turning things grey? Sounds like the developers of a current gen FPS to me!

PerceptiveMan

Apr 16, 2010
Maybe you don't need hi definition graphics to enjoy this, but I can't see how it could be anything but improved by not having to waggle a Wiimote to do things.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Serris said:
huh, who's developing this game?
the terms "de blob", "inkt" are both dutch, but i don't know any studios that develop for the wii :S
It was made by Blue Tongue Entertainment an Australian Company, same with the first.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Goldeneye1989 said:
Serris said:
huh, who's developing this game?
the terms "de blob", "inkt" are both dutch, but i don't know any studios that develop for the wii :S
It was made by Blue Tongue Entertainment an Australian Company, same with the first.
I played a demo of the first Blob at the HogeSchool van de Kunsten (University of Applied Sciences of Art) in Utrecht in the Netherlands. Perhaps the students who worked on it all emigrated or sold their idea - but this idea came from them. I remember the city council of Utrecht asked them to make a game so people new to Utrecht could learn their way around, and the students came up with de blob.

EDIT: Ah, here it is :
The game de Blob was originally developed as a free downloadable game for the Windows PC by eight students studying Game Design & Development at the Utrecht School of the Arts and one student studying Game and Media Technology at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. The team later formed Ronimo Games.
At the time of conception, sections of Utrecht were being rebuilt and the principal task in creating the game was to convey how the railroad station area of Utrecht would look in 10 years. The city of Utrecht has adopted the de Blob character as its mascot.[5] THQ noticed the game and was very impressed with the team's work, and acquired the rights to the game. THQ handed over the game to Blue Tongue Entertainment and Helixe and the companies each developed their own versions for different consoles.[8][9]

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
but it's hardly a game one needs HD graphics to enjoy

I disagree, games with heavily stylised graphics benefit immensely from improved graphics. You could do without, but man, you could see jack shit on the first de blob.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I loved DeBlob. The only thing it really needed was a difficulty setting and a save function. It was some of the most relaxing gameplay ever (assuming you've gotten used to the jump function). It is a pretty damn good wii game with excellent music, colour, and humour. I'd really check into buying it if you have any interest in it whatsover.

Here's hoping that the sequel will be even better!

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
bakonslayer said:
The best part of de Blob was the music. As you colored in the city the jazzy music continued to escalate and add instruments. Is the music still wonderful?
I thought this was a fantastic idea when I played the 1st. Hope they keep the idea around for the sequal.

standokan

May 28, 2009
At first I was very proud about a dutch game getting this popular, but truth about the producers kinda A^bombed my pride, at least we still have overlord and killzone, or do we?

JustCallMeAlex

Jun 27, 2010
I LOVED the concept of the first game. Too bad it got tiring to play the bigger the levels got. The idea with your actions changing the music was cool but after painting the city for awhile the music started sounding exactly the same which I think they could have improved. I like the whole colouring idea in general, its fun to have your own flare on the way your personal world looks. Good game but lacking something and didn't sell very well. I hope this iteration sells well because I want people that make new ideas thrive.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I absolutely hated the first game. It was boring, easy, and assumed that the player was able to derive satisfaction from coloring buildings one of 5 different colors.

Here's hoping that this sequel is much more of a departure from the original than it sounds.