Hands-On: Super Mario 3D World: Mario Gets Catty

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stupid Nintendo, there's already a Cat Mario!

...But seriously...

More of the same isn't a bad thing in and of itself. I can knock Nintendo for a few things, but they know how to craft fun and enjoyable titles. This title looks fun and is almost enough to make me wish I owned a Wii U.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Is it just me, or are Mario games getting progressively more and more childlike with every installment? The screenshots here look like something from Barney the dinosaur. Maybe the retro graphics hid the cartoon-like qualities, or maybe I'm just getting older.

Also, they keep getting easier too, it really kills suspense when I've racked up 74 lives.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
While I was expecting a true 3D Mario game, I am not at all dissapointed. I loved Super Mario 3D Land, so much that it's my 2nd favorite 3D Mario game of all time (Behind Super Mario 64). This looks like it's even more fun. Definitely a Christmas gift to myself.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
If mario gets in the cat hat, how real is it gonna be. Is it gonna be racoon levels where we can fly or actual catiness where the controller will reverse and mario will only occasionally move, only when the sun sets enough.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I really like what they did with the warp pipes. It's probably the only time in a long time that Mario has done anything that really allowed you to interact with pipes. And they'll be including plenty of obstacles and other dangers in these completely transparent tubes.

Every single game Nintendo has put out this E3 looks promising. Even the Mario platforming, which is actually very promising in my books. This is on my to buy list for certain.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Wait a collar pickin' second, Peach isn't kidnapped and is actually a part of the game?

What sorcery is this?!

80sboy

May 23, 2013
Ugh!

It's like watching my little cousin stuff a chocolate bar in her face - smearing it all over - and stare up me and begin to laugh.

I'm growing old.

lol

:p

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Once again, the music is awful. Nintendo seriously needs to abandon this style of music; it was mediocre in New Super Mario Bros, and each new incarnation has only gotten worse.

P.S. Thanks

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Covarr said:
Once again, the music is awful. Nintendo seriously needs to abandon this style of music; it was mediocre in New Super Mario Bros, and each new incarnation has only gotten worse.

P.S. Thanks

OT: It's nice to see the Wii U won't be starved for games any more, but I'd rather a new Galaxy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
There's been a suspicious lack of Bowser in what I've seen of this game so far and since Peach is playable here it's safe to assume she wasn't kidnapped by him for this game (which in itself is somewhat shocking). I liked how the Kuribo Boot also seems to have come back...for that one level anyway. I'm hoping there are more power-ups than the cat suit though: when I tried watching Nintendo Direct live I thought it was the frog-suit at first. Also really missing that Boomerang Suit.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The Galaxy composers are working on this game, and hinted that they might be working on an orchestral soundtrack. The trailer music is likely just a stopgap.
Oh gosh, I hope so. Although NSMBU mostly didn't have the same composers as SM3DL, and it shows.

It's not even the instruments that bug me. Something about the structure and chord progression seems really half-assed, and it's been very similar in NSMB, NSMB2, NSMBWii, SM3DL, and to a lesser extent NSMBU. If they are changing it up for something more orchestral, I'm quite glad.

P.S. Thanks