Hands-On: The Elder Scrolls Online Sucked Me In Instantly

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hands-On: The Elder Scrolls Online Sucked Me In Instantly

I could have sat and played ESO for hours.

Read Full Article

Feb 22, 2009
Making the jump to MMOs might be just what Elder Scrolls needs. I've always been put off by how dead and empty the world feels (deader and emptier than the company's other series, Fallout, and that's set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland), so adding some actual human interaction could make the world actually feel lively and populated.

Rhyph

Apr 21, 2013
I'm glad that this mmo is getting as good publicity as it has been getting. In a market completely over saturated with WoW clones it's great to see something a bit more unique coming our way.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'd think it was impossible for them to allow the same level of moddability in this game. My guess is that most the mods will be client-side superficial/aesthetic mods like UI, textures and sound. WoW was like that too.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
I love the title of this, especially the way it was split up on the smaller banner.

"Hands-On: The Elder
Scrolls Online Sucked

Me In Instantly"

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I'm impressed the Elder Scrolls team was able to show off a quest series that proved storytelling in MMOs doesn't have to revolve around killing X amount of dudes.
Funny, I seem to recall on this very website that SWTOR 'proved' that.

C'mon. I know that the Escapist's readership mostly regards MMOs with about as much enthusiasm as it does Call of Duty, but do we really have to dredge this tired, out of date and inaccurate stereotype up every time you guys decide to enthuse about one?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I will add this to my pile of recommendations Tito, I'm trusting you on this. You my homebro on MMO's here.

My opinion, will have to come much later down the pipe based upon what I've seen.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
Looking at the video, the thing that impressed me is how much more satisfying the combat looked than Skyrim. It looks functionally similar, but the spells in particular seemed to have a much weightier feel to them, like they were actually a force of power instead of just lights on the screen. That was my biggest problem with Skyrim's combat - it didn't feel tactile or kinetic enough, and hopefully ESO will improve upon that.

As for the mods, while I highly doubt that you will be able to add many game-altering mods, given that this is an MMO, it will certainly be nice if those with high-end PCs can install graphical mods like we did with Skyrim and the others. It would be really cool to be able to play on modded servers though. I'd love to see an MMO version of Skrim's Requiem mod, that would be nuts.

The other thing I noticed is that the spells looked more interesting. The cage of bone is a cool spell, and that burning chain that pulled the enemy toward you in the video was awesome. The spells in Skyrim were sort of bland. All of the destruction spells just hurt people, all of the alteration spells buffed or protected you, all the conjuration spells summoned familiars to fight for you, and the illusion spells were never necessary. If they can spice them up, it will go a long way toward making being a mage more fun.

All in all, I'm a lot more optimistic about this game after seeing this article, I wasn't too sure about it before, but it looks good.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
obedai said:
...and the illusion spells were never necessary.
But...but...illusion spells are my absolute favorite. I have a couple of characters built entirely *around* them!

Opinions are a funny and strange thing...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
obedai said:
and the illusion spells were never necessary.
Neither was the fighting.

Or the stealth.

Or the magic.

Point = missed.

OT: Did... not... actually see that coming. Huh.

Maybe I will have to pay attention to ESO after all.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I am interested in this MMO now.
I hope it's F2P.

I also hope I have a desktop computer in a year.

I have trouble playing GW2 on minimal quality and I get epic long loading screens (like with SWTOR). I had to quite those games as a result.

If there's one thing that might murder a MMO is not being able to provide a game that looks acceptable on low graphics. I mean, WoW has lasted a long time with their graphics because the aesthetic still works with low-quality graphics.
It always worries me when I see screenshots games that interest me because they're done with max-quality.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I am not a MMO man but I could see myself easily getting into this. Too bad Fallout Online was killed in the crib (nasty expression, I know) but maybe if the success of TOS Online will get things started for a game that deserves a on-line edition.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Sounds very promising indeed. But since spells appear to be completely independant packages now, that doesn't leave much doubt about the faith of the spellmaking mechanic does it? Sadface :(

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Pink Apocalypse said:
obedai said:
...and the illusion spells were never necessary.
But...but...illusion spells are my absolute favorite. I have a couple of characters built entirely *around* them!

Opinions are a funny and strange thing...
Really? All I wanted was Quiet Casting for my sneaky mage who exclusively uses explosive fireballs.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Glad it's getting positive feedback, I'm interested but have been very much on the fence about it.

Mhmh said:
I love the title of this, especially the way it was split up on the smaller banner.

"Hands-On: The Elder
Scrolls Online Sucked

Me In Instantly"
I came here to make that point exactly:

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
The Mods bit has be intrigued, but it is highly suspect.

One one hand its more content on the the other hand it could unbalance everything.

They will have to have a way to disable them for PVP (raises questions and problems with equipped modded equipment). And raises problems with PVE too (my lvl 1 Modded Uber Sword of Instakill would make the game amazing easier than your 10 steel sword).

Unless they don't allow item modding. In which case it might end up a bit like Star Trek Online, were you can only add quests and new quest locations. Which to be honest is still open to massive abuse. In Star Trek Online for example they have used these to create very quick and easy power levelling quest's that can you from level 1-50 under a week, just by sitting still and auto-attacking.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I was kinda worried about ESO for awhile but this article had given me faith that it is going to be awesome. I can't wait to play it. I am saddened that it isn't coming out this year but next year.

I heard that PvP, PvE, and RP players will all be on the same server but that they have a check list or something that makes it so that they are invisible to PvP, PvE, and/or RP players.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Hm, it sounds like you played a singleplayer game.

Is this to be heavily instanced like SWTOR or DDO? I feel like that misses the point of an MMO, never the less, you've got my attention...

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
All I can feel about this game is disappointment
I like TES, but this game seems like a waste of resources
Here is the main problem I have with TESO (and MMOs in particular)
Choices this, choices that, blablabla
like if they have balls to actually make decisions matter
my bet is that "choices" will somehow effect only your character
One of the great aspects of TES games is that many of your actions resonate in society/world
It is possible in MMO, but this would mean that not everyone would get the same content
[sarcasm]
and we can't have this, right?
[/sarcasm]
There were so much potential in TESO :(

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Greg Tito said:
One thing I noticed poking around the menus was a menu that said "Mods". Opening it up didn't show any mods installed, but there were buttons that seem to let you enable or disable mods for specific characters. Hopefully this means ESO will have mod support as robust as the single-player franchise. Fingers crossed - I think that kind of functionality would increase the game's popularity with fans sevenfold
I really wish I could believe this was the case. But with this being an MMO, that means a lot of stuff will probably be "off-limits" for modding, ie some of the changes to game world and stuff just couldn't happen in an MMO, you couldn't let your players mess around with armor values etc cause that would result in god-modes, let alone the myriad of NSFW addons that exist. I remain hopeful and yet very very skeptical, i mean, everyone said SWTOR was gonna be awesome, right?