Hannibal Producer Uses Happy Dog Videos to Cope

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hannibal Producer Uses Happy Dog Videos to Cope

How does a person deal with working on a notoriously gory and graphic TV show like Hannibal? Happy dog videos to the rescue!

Hannibal, the new psychological horror TV series based on the infamous cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lecter, is giving people nightmares and executive producer Bryan Fuller, the man responsible for bringing the psychological crime thriller to the small screen, is no less immune than anyone else. So what do you do when the TV show you have to work on every day gives you nightmares? "I look at dog videos all day to put me in a happy place," says Fuller.

Fuller says he tries to counter the depravity of the TV show by "stylizing the violence" and making it "purple and operatic. We're borderline fantasy with what we do on the show."

"We want to find what's cool for the episode. We have some stuff coming up that's so over the top ... so the conversations with the directors are , 'This could be ridiculous, so we need to find a way to make it elegant and beautiful at the same time to sort of combat how over the top it is."

Even actor Lawrence Fishburne, most famous for his role as Morpheous in The Matrix, told Fuller that "This the second-most disturbing thing I've ever filmed - the first being some stuff from 'Apocalypse Now.'"

So there you have it. Happy internet dog videos make the world a better place for everyone. To celebrate, here's a video of Corgi puppies learning how to jump [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzeA2HqRgsE].

Source: Today [http://www.today.com/entertainment/hannibal-boss-copes-disturbing-show-watching-dog-videos-all-day-2D11957443]

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
More puppies make everything better!

...unless its some sort of puppy related tragedy. In that case, the addition of more puppies would make things worse.

Still, puppies!

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
I think you got the wrong picture here, that is Hugh Dancy who plays Will Graham and not Bryan Fuller

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I watched the first episode of Hannibal online, thought "This is awesome!" and ordered the boxset. I went to sleep all happy-happy-happy, but woke up from a horrific nightmare (involving Mads Mikkelsen and beheadings) drenched in sweat.

At that point, I wondered if ordering the boxset had been a mistake...

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
As a Brit, whats Hannibal like? only US shows ive gotten into where lost, and currently breaking bad. Not heard that much about Hannibal to be honest... is it worth watching when ive finished breaking bad?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
As a Brit, whats Hannibal like? only US shows ive gotten into where lost, and currently breaking bad. Not heard that much about Hannibal to be honest... is it worth watching when ive finished breaking bad?
Something you'd get when you take the BBC's Sherlock, add some very creative and disturbing ways to kill people, and a healthy dose of hallucinogens.

Staying true to form, it strays well into the realm of fantasy. In one season it came close to surpassing the total amount of crazed serial killers ever to gain notoriety in the US.

High production values, and quite frankly: Madsen's performance as Hannibal is at least on par with Anthony Hopkin's - and he probably one-ups him in the "perfect gentleman" department.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Mads Mikkelsen is the perfect Hannibal for this series. He's so smooth and creepy. Can't wait for the next series. The only problem I have is I don't know how long the series can last, Hannibal has to be found out soon.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Lono Shrugged said:
Hannibal Lector/ Sherlock Crossover...

Sweet jesus that could be awesome.
I was thinking the same thing for a while but we pretty much got that with 'His Last Vow', aside from the fact that Lars looks and sounds pretty much the same as Mads, he even played Magnussen very similarly to how Mads plays Hannibal. Still, a proper crossover would be just about the best thing I could evr hope for.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Now this story raises the question of how actors and directors of other series like these and other horror movies unwind when they're not shooting.
Also: they're still making Hannibal? I haven't seen an ad for a new episode in months!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Frontastic said:
Lono Shrugged said:
Hannibal Lector/ Sherlock Crossover...

Sweet jesus that could be awesome.
I was thinking the same thing for a while but we pretty much got that with 'His Last Vow', aside from the fact that Lars looks and sounds pretty much the same as Mads, he even played Magnussen very similarly to how Mads plays Hannibal. Still, a proper crossover would be just about the best thing I could evr hope for.
Well, they are both INTJ on the Myers Briggs EQ test. Basically they are emotionally very similar.