Happy 10th Birthday, PlayStation 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Happy 10th Birthday, PlayStation 2

Ten years ago today, Sony's PlayStation 2 hit shelves in Japan in a launch that would go on to produce one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Final Fantasy X. Grand Theft Auto III. Guitar Hero. Silent Hill II. Kingdom Hearts. Gran Turismo 3. God of War. Metal Gear Solid 2.

All of these games are beloved in their own right, and all of them - and many more [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games] - had a home on Sony's PlayStation 2, the best-selling console of the last generation and easily a contender for the single best console ever.

First unveiled by Sony in 1999, the PS2 hit store shelves exactly ten years ago today, on March 4th, 2000. Though plagued by hardware shortages and a lack of good launch titles (hey, sound familiar to any other console launches? Oh, you mean all of them?), the system would end up rebounding to choke Sega's Dreamcast out of the market and leave Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's Gamecube soundly in its dust.

Later that year, the PS2 came to the West, hitting US and EU stores in October 26 and November 24, respectively, and went on to sell over 140 million units - so the next time Microsoft and Sony want you to believe that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are cool for selling however-many-they've-sold, tell them that they're just posers.

GTA: San Andreas was the console's best-selling title, followed by Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec and Gran Turismo 4.

Happy 10th birthday, PS2. Glad to see you're hanging in there.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Still after 10 years, the PS2 hasn't died, despite advances in technology, internet capabilities and market size, the PS2 is still the best console every created by mankind

I salute you PS2, you are an inspiration for all console developers and a holy relic in my gaming life

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Happy Birthday! And still you get games released! Although, they are mainly crap.

Calumon: YAY! Happy Birthday! I made you a cookie, but I ate it. *Blushes*

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
There's a launch day one of these under my telly, does this mean I have to buy it a cake?

Happy birthday you little black box of life ruination.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Even despite availability of more fancy tech, PS2 is still selling after all those years.

Playstation 2: the AK-47 of the gaming industry.

I'm going to go now. Have to arrange fizzy drink rain and invite Ratchet.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Epic

Defenetly one of the better consoles on the market!

Here's to you, and all the great games!

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Man, that makes me feel old...I had a launch PS2, it gave up the ghost about 3 years ago...but still...it got me through the Junior and Leaving Cert and served as the entertainment system in the 8 or 9 different places I rented in between ages 18 and 24...

PS2 I salute thee!

[EDIT] Oh...and I'm gonna throw in wee argument starter, Shadow Of the Colossus was THE best game to grace the system. Bar none.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Ah, the PS2. A very good console, that tended to burn in the early days, but turned out to be awesome anyway.

Happy birthday, you little bastard!

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Never actually owned a ps2 but the hours spent on my various friends of the year make this a day worth noting

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I honestly only feels like yesterday that this was out. God, I really miss those times.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Ahh, I love this console, I have so many great gaming memories.

Happy Birthday you sexy piece of hardware! <3