Happy 10th Birthday, Sega Dreamcast

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Wow, I can't believe it's been 10 years. Shame SEGA don't make hardware any more, they had some pretty decent games back then.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Because The Dreamcast had Phantasy star Online, I too say happy birthday to this console.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Heh, back in the day I was a little kid but big Nintendo fanboy... So no Sega hardware in our household. At the time of the Dreamcast I already stopped caring about consoles for monetary reasons. Still, I really wasn't pleased that this great hardware platform was clubbed to death by the media even before it came out. :(

Fun factoid of which I have too many in my head: Sega got it's name from Serial Games of America as it was originally American (Hawaiian if memory serves, don't want to wikipedia it :p )

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
And really, DC online probably wouldn't exist without Sega Megadrive's brief stint with online either methinks. SEGA have always been co-pioneers of the industry next to Nintendo.

YOU'RE MY BOY/GIRL, DC!

now im gonna cry.
good night sweet prince, my the wings of Marvel vs Capcom and Sonic Adventure carry the to thine rest.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
now im gonna cry.
good night sweet prince, my the wings of Marvel vs Capcom and Sonic Adventure carry the to thine rest.
Bloody hell, we've got poetry now? That was pretty decent though...

Beautiful Dreams Cast
Phantasies fulfilled, such joy
We awoke too soon

Yes, I know it's crap, but screw you, I'm going to bed.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Maybe I don't know subtlety, but I thought the Sony reference there was pretty damned subtle, I like it.

You always were cheeky bastards though weren't you Sega? "Genesis Does what Nintendon't" like you would be able to get away with that these days...

Whoopsie, double...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
harhol said:
thebobmaster said:
harhol said:
Everyone knows that the worst game of all time is Rogue Galaxy.
Really? I'd say E.T., Superman on the N64, or Daikatana would be the worst games, as opposed to a game that is widely considered to be well done. If it has a Metacritic score of 83, it is not even close to "the worst game of all time".
"Worst" doesn't just mean "the most poorly programmed" though. There's more to it than that. Otherwise the worst game of all time is a half-finished amateur project which three people played, and that's no fun. "Worst" encompasses expectation, reputation, imagination, ambition etc. Rogue Galaxy is agonizing in a way that no other game ever has been. It physically hurts for forty hours. Daikatana is a legitimate pick but also a little cliché, not to mention that it's better than a lot of modern FPSs (e.g. FEAR 2). And please don't bring review scores & Metacritic into this.

Susan Arendt said:
So many good games. PSO, Jet Grind Radio, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Grandia II, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5, Hydro Thunder...
Rez !
The DC port of Soul Reaver was also great.
I actually enjoyed Shenmue a lot. It was a pioneer in 3D adventure games. It had great controls and fun combat. It was slow paced for sure, and thus not the game for hardcore action fans. The game kept you going 'till the very end where you're left with one hell of a cliffhanger.

Anyways. Cheers to Skies of Arcadia: The ONLY JRPG I ever liked.

TurdS

Mar 25, 2009
I still own my DC and it's still hooked up next to my 360.

And I still play it. I swear I'll beat 'Tokyo Bus Guide' before I die...

Happy Birthday Dreamcast.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Gigaguy64 said:
now im gonna cry.
good night sweet prince, may the wings of Marvel vs Capcom and Sonic Adventure carry the to thine rest.
Bloody hell, we've got poetry now? That was pretty decent though...

Beautiful Dreams Cast
Phantasies fulfilled, such joy
We awoke too soon

Yes, I know it's crap, but screw you, I'm going to bed.
the spark of hope, thy light imdued, the wilds of places connected through you, the steps of a journey are left in the sand, others will finish what thou hast began.
(im talking about the dreamcasts internet capabilitys for thouse of you who wont get it)

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Onmi said:
GonzoGamer said:
The Dreamcast was very cool.
It probably had the only good Gundam game ever made.
The Dream Cast had Gundam: Rise from the Ashes and Blue Destiny, both very good games
Saturn and PSX had G Generation games and Gihrens Greed
PS2 had G Generation and Gihrens Greed
PS3 ha Gundam vs Gundam NEXT and Gundam 0081 (both new releases)
PSP has G Generation and Gihrens Greed and Gundam vs Gundam

But wait if you mean in english then the PS2 has Zeonic Front I think.
The Dreamcast one I'm talking about is Gundam Side Story 0077 (I may not have that number right) but that was the last one I liked. I've tried a few others since then, I don't remember the names (sorry) but none of them gave that same "in the cockpit" feel.

veryboringfact

Apr 2, 2009
harhol said:
Susan Arendt said:
harhol said:
A pretty terrible console and Shenmue is a strong candidate for worst game of all time.
Wow. I am floored by the amount of wrong in that sentence. Not to say that I don't understand why people didn't necessarily enjoy Shenmue -- as ambitious as it was, it wasn't always all that fun -- but if you really think it's the worst game of all time, you clearly haven't played very much.
I'm well aware that I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't worship the Dreamcast, but I can't help how I feel.

The "worst game of all time" has to be something well-known & iconic, or else the statement is meaningless. Shenmue isn't the worst game I've ever played in a technical sense, it's just the ultimate example of bad game design mixed with an over-inflated budget mixed with unwarranted pretentiousness mixed with shattered (and I mean shattered) expectations.

Besides, I only said it was a candidate. Everyone knows that the worst game of all time is Rogue Galaxy.
I agree about shenmue - quick time crapfest, but I do not agree about the console, it had Skies of Arcadia, PSO and Quake3 with zero lag on a 56k connection. Skies is still my favorite JRPG (just before FF8, the only FF i bothered to finish) and PSO i think used up more of my time than WoW or COD (although yeah i must have been like 11 at the time).

So yeah I, like alot of people, love(d) the DC because at the time it gave me reasons to love the console as well as the games - whether it was playing Breakout on Voldo's chest on my VMU on the way to school (don't ask) or being able to actually TYPE chat to people on PSO thanks to the incredible invention of a console keyboard peripheral. Don't get me wrong i love Fallout 3 and Mass Effect but to me my Xbox360 is just a noisy white box that keeps fucking breaking. RIP Sega.