Happy 19th Birthday, Sonic the Hedgehog

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Happy 19th Birthday, Sonic the Hedgehog

The Blue Blur turns 19 today, and to celebrate Sega is offering deals on PSN, XBLA, and the iPhone App Store.

It may be hard to remember these days after stinkers like 2006's Sonic the Hedgehog, but there was once a time when gamers and industry figures alike actually looked forward to a new Sonic game.

Those days may be behind us (or not [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101401-E3-2010-Sonic-Colors]?) but that doesn't mean we can't look back on them fondly. Sega is remembering them fondly, too - and to celebrate the June 23rd, 1991 launch of the first Sonic the Hedgehog game here in the states, it's offering sales on classic Sonic titles and DLC for newer games in the franchise.

PS3 and PSP owners seem to get the short end of the deal, as the deals are mostly on DLC for games like Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and Sonic Unleashed, but you can get both PSP Sonic Rivals [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Rivals] titles for $18, which is nice.

iPhone owners get some nice goodies, with prices cut on classic Sega games like Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2, Golden Axe, and Streets of Rage. And 360 owners can get their hands on any of the first four Sonic games (that's 1, 2, 3, and & Knuckles) on sale, too.

The sales are, unsurprisingly, limited offerings. The PSN sale runs Tuesday, June 22nd to Tuesday, July 6th. The iPhone sale lasts from today until Wednesday, June 30th, and the XBLA sale is only tomorrow: Thursday, June 24th. So if you want these games, you've got a very limited window.

Happy birthday, Sonic. May your 29th birthday be a bit luckier than your 19th one. And you and JC Denton [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101587-Deux-Ex-Turns-10-Goes-For-2-50] can share a birthday cake.

(Sega America [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/06/21/sega-mega-sale-a-sonic-birthday-celebration/])

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Here's to hope manages to survive to the 29th bday, not by being slapped with barely thought games as he have been.
Reminiscing about him feels like memories of a prodigy kid, who went blind and started doing drugs.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Happy birthday Sonic! Now go to sleep, I mean the average lifespan of the hedgehog is 4?7 years, in the wild that is, so I think you should just die now, I mean these last 12 years can't of been good on your ageing bones and greying fur!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
He should never have made it to his 18th Birthday. One of the only things I wish died as a child.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow o.o hes that old? and WOW there is Sonic stuff on iphone? Off to the app-mobile!

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Pfffft, sale on Sonic games on PS3 and 360.

*holds up the cartridges* Hell yeah baby!

Edit: Also happy birthday first game I ever owned/played! :D

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Happy Birthday Sonic! Here's hoping the new decade is a happy one for you... for the love of God let us hope so.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Happy birthday, man.

You're not all that bad since the Genesis, you know.

Bioware made you into a pretty good RPG.

Sonic Rush was grand.

But...man. Those Sonic Advance games were all awesome.

Mordreich

Mar 20, 2010
Baldry said:
Happy birthday Sonic! Now go to sleep, I mean the average lifespan of the hedgehog is 4?7 years, in the wild that is, so I think you should just die now, I mean these last 12 years can't of been good on your ageing bones and greying fur!
You forget that Sonic is blue, therefore he is probably some kind of radioactive mutant so the laws of nature no longer apply.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I am imagining a birthday party with tunes from the old games blasting on the stereo, Sonic on the sofa separating lines of crushed up ring dust, and when the hookers get up to leave because of his abhorrent behavior, Sonic shouts in a drunken slurred voice,
"Get back here baby! Don't you know who I am!? I used ta be somebody!!! YA HEAR ME???!!! I still am somebody...I...I still am..."

Bless you Sonic, you fallen angel.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
June 23rd 1991,
Let loose, I knew you were born to run
Six zones, one boss, it was all I needed
Dashing, ring-collecting, unimpeded.
--Alex Day

It's hard to believe the little blue guy is almost 20 years old.