Happy 25th Anniversary To Mortal Kombat (1995)

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I was born in 1993 and didn't watch the first MK movie when it came out. I watched it in 2008 or 2009. I enjoyed it very much and consider it one of the best video game movies ever made (which admittedly isn't a long list. But hey, maybe that will change in future).

Reactions: BrawlMan

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I always thought Paul W.S. Anderson is more talented than people give him credit for. He's basically the Ridley Scott of Uwe Bolls.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, youngster, I was 15 when this movie came out and high on the whole Mortal Kombat train, so I watched it in theaters the day it came out with my cousins. We loved it then, seeing the likes of Scorpion and Sub-Zero on screen was a unique rush to our still squishy and moldable minds, but looking back… the film is pretty bad. I guess it’s fairly spot on to the spirit of the shallow story of the game, but it doesn’t merit much outside of strict fan service, like, I don’t think anyone who doesn’t already love Mortal Kombat would find much value in it. The acting was pretty bad and cheesy as well; Bridgette Wilson (Sonya) is simply hard to watch at times.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Well, youngster, I was 15 when this movie came out and high on the whole Mortal Kombat train, so I watched it in theaters the day it came out with my cousins. We loved it then, seeing the likes of Scorpion and Sub-Zero on screen was a unique rush to our still squishy and moldable minds, but looking back… the film is pretty bad. I guess it’s fairly spot on to the spirit of the shallow story of the game, but it doesn’t merit much outside of strict fan service, like, I don’t think anyone who doesn’t already love Mortal Kombat would find much value in it. The acting was pretty bad and cheesy as well; Bridgette Wilson (Sonya) is simply hard to watch at times.
Same. Seen it in cinema as well. mortal kombaaaaatt. I still remember that theme. xD The '90s were rad. That chick who played Kitana she was such a hottie.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Same. Seen it in cinema as well. mortal kombaaaaatt. I still remember that theme. xD The '90s were rad. That chick who played Kitana she was such a hottie.
Yeah, that movie is pretty perfect for a horny, hormone-drenched, teenage boy, but as an mature adult looking back, nostalgia wins the day over objective quality.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Happy birthday to you
Took your spine out on cue
Froze your brain from pink to blue
Happy birthday to you

(Hip hip, oh, no, they're gone too)

Wait, is this the film? Ah crap, nevermind. Ignore plz.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Both game and movie are basically a riff on Enter the Dragon with some supernatural stuff and other martial arts tropes thrown in. What worked for that movie still works here. It's cheesy and dumb, but I can respect and enjoy it for being so unapologetic about it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mortal Kombat (1995 film) came out 2 weeks before my birthday. I was turning 6. I didn't see it in theaters, but I saw it immediately as soon as ut hit Blockbuster. Great times.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
........I was nine when the movie came out. Due to releases being slower, I may have seen it at age ten.

Fuck I feel old. Also, the hottie who played Kitana was Talisa Soto; she was also Lupe in License to Kill. And she is stunning.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
The MK movie is leaving Netflix next month so anyone who wants to watch it, now is your chance.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh God, does anyone remember that shitty - and boy do I mean shitty - Beowulf movie from like 99 with Christopher Lambert and Rhona Mitra? I swear it’s intro ripped off the one from Mortal Kombat.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
...Is it bad I still haven't seen this movie yet? I've seen the Street Fighter one but not MK. But then again like the Brawlman, the King of Fighters, I was young then and I don't think my folks would want me to see a apparent hyper violent movie. It doesn't seem too much the case judging by the comments but yeah I guess I should put this on my massive "to watch" list. lol

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
...Is it bad I still haven't seen this movie yet? I've seen the Street Fighter one but not MK. But then again like the Brawlman, the King of Fighters, I was young then and I don't think my folks would want me to see a apparent hyper violent movie. It doesn't seem too much the case judging by the comments but yeah I guess I should put this on my massive "to watch" list. lol
Yeah, it's actually not very violent.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Street Fighter is funnier so that was definitely the right call, but if you're up for good old 90s cheese Mortal Kombat is fairly entertaining, the sequel is funnier in "So bad is good" kind of way though, so yeah I wouldn't say it's bad you haven't watched but you might like it.

But nothing beats Raúl Julia.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Actually one complaint from fans at the time was that the move was insufficiently violent like the games it was based on.

But it’s fine, casting is very strong: Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is a magnificent Shang Tsung (he also did a passable Heihachi in the shitty Tekken movie), Linden Ashby is the right blend of cocky and earnest as Johnny Cage, Robin Shou is the best kind of knock off Bruce Lee for Liu Kang and Brigitte Wilson (now Wilson-Sampras) looks and plays the part of Sonya Blade like a champ, though she does get the short shrift at the end. But lack of blood and gore aside, the fights are well done, costuming and sets are very on point and the soundtrack is very strong - my favourite is the track for Liu Kang and Sub Zero’s fight.

The DVD or BluRay shouldn’t be more than about ten bucks, go grab it and have a laugh.