PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Happy Action Theater Review

The grand experiment mostly succeeds.

Read Full Article

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Watching the video was totally worth it just to see the Escapist staff acting like such children!

Although impressive from the outset, this looks like the sort of "game" that could become boring pretty quickly. The Kinect interaction and resulting feedback seemed to be pretty accurate, just a shame its useage was so limited.

Hopefully all these pointless Kinect releases will be the building blocks of the totally epic Kinect based games of the future. This is remarkable tech but I'm yet to see anything particularly impressive done with it in a gameplay sense.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This reminds me a lot of Wario Ware Inc. for GameCube, the game is cool to play with some friends, but once you've burned through the microgames for the nth time, it starts to get a bit boring, I kinda see that same thing happen with this game, lots of fun for a while, then you'll ever rarely want to play it again.

Other than that, I think this is the most amusing review The Escapist has ever done.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I never heard of this one before, then again, I don't check the Double Fine ACTION news page as much as I used to.

Fat4all

Aug 6, 2011
Aww, you guys never high-five'd in the fireworks game, that makes explosions and stuff...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Might want to add this to the recommendation: Do not take Acid while playing this game. That "tripping balls comment" was while sober. We have no intention of trying this shit out while high.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
This game seems like the only game that actually need the Kinect and isnt used as some gimmick that could have worked better with just a controller

Paladin Anderson

Nov 21, 2011
MortisLegio said:
This game seems like the only game that actually need the Kinect and isnt used as some gimmick that could have worked better with just a controller
My thoughts exactly.

While in no way would I go out and buy and xbox and kinetic for this title, if I already had them I'd be throwing my money at the screen for this.

Good job Double Fine!

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
You've got to love doublefine. They came up with (in my opinion) the best use I've seen of kinect so far - this actually looks like fun! I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but they looked at the technology and what it would be good at, and designed software around that.

This shouldn't be such a hard thing for developers to figure out really.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Let's not stretch the borders of 'video game' too wide. There's enough interactive electronics crammed in there already.

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
Even if its not exactly a "game", I think this is a really encouraging development. Its good to see that developers are getting the hang of making the kinect actually work. I'm still waiting for a game to come out that actually makes me want to shell out for the kinect, but its good to see more and more games that make me say "if I had one, I'd totally play this."

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Happy Action Theater Review

The grand experiment mostly succeeds.

Read Full Article
I appreciate The Escapist giving such a long and thorough review to what is, in no uncertain terms, a "kids' game." It really speaks to the variety of perspectives you folks offer. Additionally, it really speaks to a few of my own current ideas regarding play (and how we're just not doing enough of it).

Also, holyshitthefloorislava.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
I really love what this thing is. I think time and time again the Kinect has proven itself to be a terrible tool for a "game" (except for dancing, apparently). This "game" understands that though, and just focuses on the awesome craziness that such a device can bring about with no consequences for "losing". I would totally get it if I had a Kinect. I've become a huge fan of what Double-Fine has been doing in just the last couple years.

Giantbomb had a great demonstration video of it too, with Tim Schafer included! http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-double-fine-happy-action-theater/17-5567/

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
I'd actually like to see if small kids (Ages 2-5) responded well to this program. Or would kids be equally bored or even frightened of some senarios?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Leave it to Double Fine to make something genuinely interesting for the Kinect.